+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dual wield frost tank

Dual wield frost tank

I would like to spec into IIT so I can give the the raid the haste buff. Is there a tested one out there ? I thought something along the lines like this: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

But could I not generate enough RP fast enough?

Here's my armory:The World of Warcraft Armory

My 2 coppers:

Speccing into IIT will nerf your tank spec too much.

Quote Originally Posted by bashal View Post
    my 2 coppers:

Speccing into iit will nerf your tank spec too much.
    qfe
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Quote Originally Posted by Bashal View Post
    My 2 coppers:

Speccing into IIT will nerf your tank spec too much.
    Not if you're 2h frost, but i agree, dw frost doesn't really have enough free points to get it.

It won't *cripple* your tank spec to provide your raid with Imp Icy Talons. It will likely trade some personal value, but it won't kill you as a tank.

loveknife, your spec looks spot on. You will miss a little RP generation, but so long as you are careful not to overdump on FS (if you don't glyph FS, just be sure to not hit it unless you have 60+ RP, if you do glyph it, not unless you have 52+ RP), you should still be quite alright. That will ensure you don't rage starve your RSs.

The haste from Icy Talons will still provide a good buff to a dual wield tank, and if it was absent from your raid you'll give them a great perk too. I assume you have a personal 10-man with at least a couple melee dps and no enhancement shaman?
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

taking rime out of your spec seems like a huge threat loss, personally i already had my offspec set for IIT but i did it like thisTalent Calculator - World of Warcraft

Wow, thank you Astrid, I somehow missed the loss of Rime!

That is a HUGE value lost. 15% crit on Obliterate alone is pretty significant, free and more rapid HB casts are key to threat, especially AoE threat.

If I were to try to adjust to get the best point usage, I'd shift 1 pt from CotG and 2 from KM. Losing a bit on KM will lose you threat, but I think a partial stack in KM would be less of a loss than Rime.

I haven't been able to test it, so it's only my sense of the talents, but you can try it out and see what happens.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

like the spec i posted id take the increased chance to auto crit from KM rather than the 4% damage in the 3/5 stack of black ice

only 20 talent points in a frost build go to actual damage mitigation talents, and youre not moving any of them around. so it really comes down to, are you having threat issues or can you spare the possibility of losing a bit of it to buff your raid dps.

im in a guild of over 100 raiders and we still have alot of trouble finding DKs that will dps as frost or shaman, let alone enhance shaman.

If you're going to forgo Chill of the Grave and Scent of Blood, the logical result is that you'll have fewer frost strikes (in fact, with 0 points in each, it's fairly likely you won't frost strike much at all). As such, you don't need as many killing machine procs - they're basically there to feed Rime triggers. Dropping points from KM is a synergistic sacrifice with pulling out the RP build talents.

-Splug

Astrid have you tried out your spec ?

Quote Originally Posted by Splug View Post
    If you're going to forgo Chill of the Grave and Scent of Blood, the logical result is that you'll have fewer frost strikes (in fact, with 0 points in each, it's fairly likely you won't frost strike much at all). As such, you don't need as many killing machine procs - they're basically there to feed Rime triggers. Dropping points from KM is a synergistic sacrifice with pulling out the RP build talents.

-Splug
    Personally I use HB > OB whenever I have KM and it's off CD. But that might just be that in my gear it does more total damage/threat (and refreshes FF)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

personally my frost strike crits seem to do more damage than my HB crits so unless theres a rime proc or its an AE situation i will use them on my frost strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by loveknife View Post
    Astrid have you tried out your spec ?
    yeah, theres times where i miss a GCD from RP starving but it buffs my raid and im not losing aggro.

splugs argument also made sense so i did change it to take pts from KM instead of black ice. but the thought came of taking more pts out of KM to put in chill of the grave to get rid of the times where theres no RP to use FSs anyway.

it feels alot more like blood due to the focus shift away from FS but again, most fights aren't threat intensive anyway and i like buffing my raids dps

Went with this Sort of Spec worked quite well. Haven't tried in a raid yet just heroics.

The World of Warcraft Armory - Fapulous @ Burning Legion - Talents

+ Reply to Thread