+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: HP Comparison doesn't add up..

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    226

    HP Comparison doesn't add up..

    Greetings,

    I understand that different classes have different stamina modifiers based on talents, not all classes have the same base health, and that warriors get stats from their ranged while a Paladin doesn't. Both characters are the same race.

    My Girlfriend's paladin, unbuffed has a stamina value of 2840, giving her a Health Value of 35,429 The only Hitpoint talent modifiers I can find are Sacred Duty and Combat Expertise, which are both maxed.

    My Warrior, unbuffed has a stamina value of 2761, giving him a Health value of 35,826 after 3/3 in Vitality.

    Now I don't claim to be a math genius and I fully understand I am missing something here. But if she gets more modifers to her stamina, and has higher stamina, shouldn't she be roughly 1k higher in health then the warrior?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the cloud.
    Posts
    2,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenier View Post
    not all classes have the same base health
    Answers part of it.


    So I am to assume exact same gear, save for the ranged/libram, correct?


    Armory links plz?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,783
    While the unbuffed base health is lower, if the paladin has better stam modifiers, then buffs will have a larger effect on the paladin.

    Or do you see the same thing after buffs?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    226
    I would link them but she's not logged out in Prot gear sigh. Her gear is better, but both characters use tier 9, 1 piece tier 10 and a mix of 2002, 219s, 226s and such she rates higher on Wow-heroes.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by Bashal View Post
    While the unbuffed base health is lower, if the paladin has better stam modifiers, then buffs will have a larger effect on the paladin.

    Or do you see the same thing after buffs?
    After buff she is still below the warrior, all things equal, by roughly the same margin.

    I don't have fully buffed totals for comparison, sorry.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the cloud.
    Posts
    2,279
    The only effective comparison would be if you were wearing the exact same kits with the exact same enchants, in that case the warrior's base HP and ranged slot would make all the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    57
    If I recall correctly warriors have 1.2kish more base hp then pallies I remember being pondered by the differnce in HP between my warrior co-tank and myself in similar gear around naxxish levels.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,930
    The total buffs for a warrior from talents should be +6% stamina.
    The same for a Paladin are +14.48% (the two talents you named).

    Those will be reflected in your stamina totals on your character sheet though, before your health.

    Did you have Commanding Shout up when you measured your own? That and Blood Pact from a Lock's Imp are some of the only +health buffs you could get (as opposed to Stam). Alternately, perhaps you had Flask of Stoneblood still on?
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by Satorri View Post
    Did you have Commanding Shout up when you measured your own? That and Blood Pact from a Lock's Imp are some of the only +health buffs you could get (as opposed to Stam). Alternately, perhaps you had Flask of Stoneblood still on?
    Nay, I am going off raw values from armory. I thought about that at first too.

    I think it may just be the base health difference, but I am having a hard time accepting that because she has more stam on her gear then I do mine reflecting her higher item levels, therefore, I would think she would have more (not less) health.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    302
    Give each other blessing of kings and you'll start to see things a little easier. Also, you'll need something like 110 stamina less than her for you to have less HP than her (1.1K extra base health, then apply stamina modifiers). Paladin health scales quicker than warrior health, but the difference between them is never really anything to write home about (On a gear continuum Warriors start with slightly more, Paladins finish with slightly more). Notice that atm you're around 80 stamina below and only slightly ahead in real health.

    Total health is (roughly):

    (base class health + base class stamina + stamina from gear) * Class stamina modifiers

    In your case your total health is currently being padded by higher values for the first 2 variables, the 3rd is basically the same for both of you, and she has a higher class stamina modifier to eventually counterbalance the lower first two variables.

    I think that makes sense. I should probably make some diagrams for this stuff and keep them uploaded.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
    Give each other blessing of kings and you'll start to see things a little easier. Also, you'll need something like 110 stamina less than her for you to have less HP than her (1.1K extra base health, then apply stamina modifiers). Paladin health scales quicker than warrior health, but the difference between them is never really anything to write home about (On a gear continuum Warriors start with slightly more, Paladins finish with slightly more). Notice that atm you're around 80 stamina below and only slightly ahead in real health.

    Total health is (roughly):

    (base class health + base class stamina + stamina from gear) * Class stamina modifiers

    In your case your total health is currently being padded by higher values for the first 2 variables, the 3rd is basically the same for both of you, and she has a higher class stamina modifier to eventually counterbalance the lower first two variables.

    I think that makes sense. I should probably make some diagrams for this stuff and keep them uploaded.

    Pretty much what I was looking for, thank you.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,930
    Ok, yeah, if it's off the armory it's got to be one of two things:
    1.) A glitch, probably not a likely answer
    2.) Base health. That's the only health variance not based on Stamina (and as such talents).
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,369
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
    Total health is (roughly):

    base class health + (base class stamina + stamina from gear) * Class stamina modifiers
    Fixed. Base Health does not get modified by anything except Tauren racial.

    For the first value; Base health - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft
    You have a 1187 HP lead on the paladin, which would require about ~110 sta with talents to compensate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,023
    As a further refinement (for those calculating health using base):

    HP = Base_Health + (racial_stam + gear_stam + buff_stam)*stam_mod*10 + hp_buffs - 180

    ofcourse the result gets rounded.

    Warriors have higher base_health and higher racial_stam, which is probably causing what is being seen.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts