+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Noob Question for Tanks-

Quote Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
    Now, I'll agree with several people in here that many progression guilds don't let brand new members loot until they've proved themselves. That's fair. no one likes a grab and gquit raider. But that wasn't the context here. The guild basically said "We want our MT to get everything to get geared." That's foolish. Many LK encounters (esp the new 3.3 ones) require both tanks to work equally hard and get hit equally hard. Let one tank get all the gear and see how long the raid lasts when the other tank drops.
    ICC has split MT and OT roles pretty well so far. Marrowgar needs a meat shield to soak lashes... but he doesn't take normal melee hits. DBS doesn't actually take very high gear to tank but both tanks share the load equally there.

However, Festergut is a different story... at some point *both* tanks will be tanking when Festergut has 3 stacks. So that's quite a gear check to pass.

I'd be wary of this guild. If it's 10 mans tanks should get more than enough gear to go around. Plus, the gear requirements aren't even that strict, so no reason to funnel everything to the MT.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin Man View Post
    I'd be wary of this guild. If it's 10 mans tanks should get more than enough gear to go around. Plus, the gear requirements aren't even that strict, so no reason to funnel everything to the MT.

There's that too. Thus far I've yet to see a failed ICC run that was because of undergeared tanks. Typically it's been DPS doing stupid things and dying; or the raid as a whole being uncoordinated and not doing what they need to to overcome whichever silly gimmick the fight hinges on. Mind you Festergut might be the exception there..but even then I wonder how much difference a little gear would make. It's really about managing cooldowns and having healers on the ball.

But to me Festergut is exactly why this policy is terrible.

Unless I've done my math/counting wrong. Festergut will hit both tanks with 3 stacks up at some point of the fight. So you need both tanks geared up equaly!

Also keep in mind that the guilds entrenched MT might have thrown a small fit about bringing in a "new tank" to take her gear. This is not uncommon among the unwashed masses of tankdom. There are a lot of tanks out there who believe their position is close to godliness and will demand things of their raiding group such as this. You know, the "I won't tank for you if you bring this new guy in and he gets all the gear". Now I don't obviously know the personalities involved, but I have seen this happen in the past.

I havent read all the previous replies to your question but guessing many feel like I do. This situation is of course not thought through properly from the GM. These days you dont have one MT but several. Many of the new fights require us to alternate holding the boss (taking about equal amount of damage) so you cant very well have one tank much better geared than the other one.

I often tank with a bear tank collegue and we switch fairly often who will tank the boss and who will tank adds. Some fights, for example Jaraxxus is perfect for me since the cd of my interrupt is the same as Jaraxxus cd on the ability that needs to be interrupted. Some other fights are better for him.

Of course its up to them but I doubt I would be long in a guild with rules as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahn View Post
    Also keep in mind that the guilds entrenched MT might have thrown a small fit about bringing in a "new tank" to take her gear. This is not uncommon among the unwashed masses of tankdom. There are a lot of tanks out there who believe their position is close to godliness and will demand things of their raiding group such as this. You know, the "I won't tank for you if you bring this new guy in and he gets all the gear". Now I don't obviously know the personalities involved, but I have seen this happen in the past.
    Just let him/her tank all the content on his own then and see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrikL View Post
    Just let him/her tank all the content on his own then and see how that goes.
    Oh, I completely agree. I hate that attitude, but I have seen it before.

This behavior also fuels the "Our tank is the best we've ever seen, all other tanks we bring in suck compared to him" philosophy

+ Reply to Thread