+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Damage seems lacking

Damage seems lacking

Hey guys Brokenhornz from balnazzar here. Just had a question about a boomkin build that works. I have been going through many different specs with my druid lately and i seem to like the build i have now more then others i have used.

My question is what is the best balance druid spec going into ICC?
    And also any gear tips would be appreciated to.

If anyone can help me out by lookin me up on the armory or something and letting me know.

The World of Warcraft Armory - Brokenhornz @ Balnazzar - Profile

No idea of the optimal spec, but the latest blue posts say they are boosting boomkin dps in the next patch.

The boomkin in our 25man comes about 7th-9th, but in another group I run a different boomkin comes about 3rd. Hybrids should not come higher than pure dps classes as far as I am concerned, though it all comes down to player skill.

Glyph selection is correct though you should throw in two additional minor glyphs of your choosing. You have Unburdened Rebirth which goes without question. Glyph of the Wild would be the next most common selection. Some balance druids will actually use Gift of the Wild to force an Omen of Clarity proc since it has a very high chance of causing it (i.e. during AoE trash time you may not have mana for huricane but have mana to use this, you can use this to proc Omen of Clarity to make huricane free). For the final minor glyph I personally like Dash simply because when I want to get somewhere it's nice to get there faster (i.e. running back after a failed boss attempt).

Starfall is about 100-150 DPS increase if you take that one talent point, even on a single target.

Genesis and Brambles are the two weakest talents in the Balance tree. Genesis is the weakest if you use your treants on cooldown like you are supposed to (however tier nine two piece makes Genesis slightly stronger while you have it). Both of these talents generally net you less than 10 DPS gain per point spent. Personally, since Genesis is so insanely weak, I generally pick up the AoE talents prior to considering that. I personally don't like it so much, that I actually put 1 point into Owlkin Frenzy before taking any into Genesis or Brambles.

Going into ICC you will almost certainly want to have Typhoon because you will likely need it come Deathbringer Saurfang.

Highest single target DPS spec with 2 flex points.
    The World of Warcraft Armory

Many balance druids will actually favor a single point in Moonglow to the one point in Genesis, though once you are crit soft capped and generally around 27000 mana raid buffed you should have basically infinite mana following your standard single target rotation.

One BIG mistake in your spec is you only have one point in Nature's Reach. Improving your range can't be measured the impact on DPS, however for the same reason that Tuskarr's is always an acceptable enchant, this is always a recommended talent. Tuskar's makes you move faster so you get into position faster and can resume DPS, Nature's Reach makes it so that position may be reached sooner as well. Less time moving is always more time DPSing.

Since this max single target DPS spec has only 2 points of flex, you can't get Typhoon and Gale Winds for full AoE specialization as well unless your gear gets higher hit rating and you can drop the Balance of Power talent. You never drop Improved Faerie Fire because the crit alone is better than other talents, but you can drop Balance of Power if your hit rating goes up. If you get 12% hit, you can drop a point in Balance of Power and take this spec adding the AoE talents.

You have a Mana Per 5 ring. MP5 is the plague for a balance druid, avoid it at all costs. Get alternative gear that has spirit on it. Blue sockets should be Purified Dreadstones, not Glowing Dreadstones. You are currently over hit capped by 1.9%, yet have some full +20 hit gems. Use Brilliant Spellthread, not Sapphire Spellthread on legs. Illustration of the Dragon Soul and/or Eye of the Broodmother would be stronger than the two trinkets you are currently using despite being lower in item level, if you have them you should switch to those.

My current raiding spec. I run high enough hit rating to drop all Balance of Power points. I opted to take the one point in Moonglow over the one point in Genesis even though I have plenty of mana, and am crit and haste soft capped. I opted to take one point into Owlkin Frenzy simply because Genesis is that weak and play around with it.
    The World of Warcraft Armory

Here is the spec I'd recommend for you.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc...00000000000000
    Drop 3 points in Genesis. Pick up the second point in Nature's Reach. Pick up Starfall for increased DPS. Pick up Typhoon because you will likely need it when you get to Saurfang.
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 01-14-2010 at 09:58 AM.

I am also curious. When you say your damage is lacking, how much DPS are you doing (make sure to include the context, i.e. on a training dummy)?

Doing your rotation incorrectly can easily cost you 1000 or more DPS.

Well dps on target dummy has been about 4.5-5.1k depending on eclipse and how often it procs on the dummy.

But durring raids when im attacking trash mobs im only doing 3-4K at most.

Doing less damage during a raid has one of two general causes. You're either distracted and not doing it right, or the fight mechanics interfere.

In any case, just self buffed and in your new spec your theoretical DPS is 5531 according to WrathCalcs. So if you're doing 5.1k on a training dummy I'd say you're fine for the most part. You can maybe squeeze a little more out of it by mastering the post-eclipse phase. That is generally where inexperienced balance druids lose their DPS, that and DoT cliping.

Raids it largely depends on what the context is. If it's trash you're always going to be weaker than the other DPS because you're not speced into Gale Winds. If it's a boss it depends on the specific boss and the methods your raid uses. For instance if you are in a raid that insists on the kiting Moonkin for Deathbringer Saurfang, well running will completely screw your DPS. If you're a raid that does the no-kiting method (the kill it before it gets to you method) then you don't have to move and only suffer a minor DPS lose for target switching. So as for the raid damage it largely depends on the encounter and how your raid does it. If it's a fight where you can mostly stand in place and spam spells, you should be able to do better than your 5k DPS you do on a training dummy because of raid buffs and debuffs.

What do you use for monitoring debuffs, eclipse, and eclipse cooldowns? Refining your interface could help your raid performance by making this information easier to interpret on the fly.

EJ Balance Druid 3.3 Guide, Attached WrathCalcs Moonkin DPS Spreadsheet
    http://elitistjerks.com/f47/t66856-m...updated_3_3_a/
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 01-14-2010 at 04:38 PM.

The only add-on's i currently use are DBM and recount. I havnt had a need to use any others. What would you say i should use?

And as far as watching for debuffs i only look to see what debuffs i have by the minimap

A lot of balance druids use Squawk and Awe. Since you're not using a very customized UI this one addon would probably be easier for you to setup.
    Squawk And Awe - Addons - Curse

I personally use a very highly customized setup of ElkBuffBars and my own code alteration of SexyCooldown. Knowing what to cast next is very important in optimizing your rotation. Like if Eclipse isn't active, in order to determine that my next spell should be Moonfire, I need to know that my Moonfire will expire before my current cast completes. The more visible this information is, the easier the it is to decide.

I can send you a PM with a link to a video with my UI in it if you're curious but it's kinda hard to understand without actually seeing it used.

Naw its cool you have been a huge help in getting my dps up. was playing around on the dummy and hit 5.4k with the new spec so im assuming that its just the procing of eclipse thats setting back my dps.

You have to keep in mind, sometimes the random number generator likes you, sometimes it hates you. That's the difference between 10k DPS on Hodir and 20k DPS. Also balance DPS is very spikey. On a fight where I may only do like 6k average DPS you can see spikes as high as 18k DPS on the World of Logs parse, that's just the way DPS looks for a balance druid sometimes because of how Eclipse functions.

Don't look at your spike DPS so much, DPS until you run out of mana (use your innervate too when you are down 8-9k mana). You want to measure your average sustained DPS over a longer period of time. And one time may vary from the next, that's the whole random number generator doing it's thing.

+ Reply to Thread