+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Armor bonuses over avoidance in icc?

Quote Originally Posted by Proletaria View Post
    t10 has a purpose

The set is a way for me to tell which tank dks are smart, and which ones are just wasting badges to look cool.
    Nice
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Heh this thread really opened my eyes about the Warrior tank T10 4 pc bonus. At first I thought the 4 pc was great, until I read it only "absorbs" damage. I originally thought it reduced damage by 20% for 10 sec. Silly me! Still, I'm sure the absorb can come in handy in more magic-heavier fights.

Anyway, in a nutshell it's either:

Sexually delicious itemized non-set pieces, where the sum of the stats can make up for the lack of fun set bonuses.

OR

Not as well itemized set pieces where the set bonuses make up for the not-quite-as-good itemization.

Or to put it another way...

There's a total of 4242 bonus armor spread across badge chest/gloves/belt/cloak and the craftable pillars of might. That's more bonus armor than you get from an indestructible potion.

So do you want an extra cooldown, or do you want to be indestructible

Honestly if you look at the other tanking 4pc bonuses, we got shafted hard anyway. Paladin's get 12% dodge, DK's get 12% DR CD, druids' enrage no longer reduces armor but also makes rake ticks crit. WTF. I mean with all the bonus armor the offset pieces are sexier anyway, but with our class there's absolutely no reason to ever complete the set it seems, unless you're going for aesthetics.

Well, the warrior 4p bonus is the best to survive a big spike of damage. It's kinda the whole premise of warriors when compared with other classes "bursty on both ends of the damage spectrum". A warrior takes rather inconstant damage, both from the bad and the good meanings of it, and if it's REALLY necessary, the available reductions can be stacked.

Quote Originally Posted by swelt View Post
    Or to put it another way...

There's a total of 4242 bonus armor spread across badge chest/gloves/belt/cloak and the craftable pillars of might. That's more bonus armor than you get from an indestructible potion.

So do you want an extra cooldown, or do you want to be indestructible

Is this the total value over ilvl 277 items or just the 264?
    Havx | <Tasty Beverage> | US Alliance | Bleeding Hollow
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...Hollow&cn=Havx

Quote Originally Posted by Vah View Post
    Is this the total value over ilvl 277 items or just the 264?
    Appears to be over the 277 as well. Granted the ideal EH set would be the 277 shoulders and helm combined with the badge loot.

As I posted in another thread yesterday:

Quote Originally Posted by Kojiyama View Post
    At least for Warriors, it's seemingly possible to scrape into the 73% Armor Reduction range with all the available known 277 armor items when fully raid-buffed.

If you were to grab all the "best" 277 items without bonus armor, you would end up around 67% Armor Reduction. So it's quite a huge difference when all the items add up. After all, that's taking over 22% more base damage from each swing--which also compounds towards making Block and Absorb effects more valuable as well.
    Obviously, a "non-armor" set is next to impossible and even if you avoid some of the items you'll probably get others. So I would say that the average difference is probably like 69% vs. 73% or something like that.

Either way, the Armor items have a lot of upside. None of them are particularly weak compared to the other 277 options other than perhaps the Gloves giving up quite a few stats compared to the Heroic Plated Fists.
    Maintainer of Rawr.ProtWarr theorycrafting tool. Feel free to PM suggestions or feature requests!

As I posted in another thread yesterday:

Obviously, a "non-armor" set is next to impossible and even if you avoid some of the items you'll probably get others. So I would say that the average difference is probably like 69% vs. 73% or something like that.

Either way, the Armor items have a lot of upside. None of them are particularly weak compared to the other 277 options other than perhaps the Gloves giving up quite a few stats compared to the Heroic Plated Fists.
    It seems like for DK/Ferals at least it's going to come down to encounter specifics with regards to the 4 piece. I feel it'd be more effective as a DK to chain VB/4pieceBloodTap/Trinkets/IBF/GS/VB etc. Ferals have the similiar capability.

In two months it won't matter as badges will be flowing and we'll have all the gear anyways.
    Havx | <Tasty Beverage> | US Alliance | Bleeding Hollow
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...Hollow&cn=Havx

Profiler - Wowhead - Pure armor set

Profiler - Wowhead - More balanced set.

Obviously you could mix the two, but for DK's, for most situations at that gear level, I would presume you would use gloves/legs over the armor gloves and legs.

You're missing a 51 stam gem, and wouldn't you want the T10 helm for the 2set?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    You're missing a 51 stam gem, and wouldn't you want the T10 helm for the 2set?
    I made it in about 5 minutes for a baseline of the differences with extreme armor vs a more balanced. Fixed, but if there are any other errors/better gear choices it's because I didn't feel like totally researching and maximizing when I could just be lazy instead and get close enough.

Random question... the Heroic loot always look like the dk armor models? I noticed the Broken Ram Skull Helm and the Boneguard Commander shoulders in the model you linked were both different looking from the 264 versions of them... just curious.

For Warriors, it appears that the Badge Cloak, Badge Chest, Heroic Bracers, Badge Belt, and Crafted Legs are all worth keeping in spite of their lack of 277 status. They compete wll with the survival advantages of the other alternatives yet blow them out of the water in terms of EH.

The badge gloves are likely worth subbing out for the 277 Taldaram's Plated Fists, as there isn't much of an EH advantage there. The helm, boots, and shoulders have no armor alternatives, and the neck/ring options have 277 Armor items available.

If you wanted to swap for the 4-set bonus, it would be best to do Hands + Chest to go along with the defacto Helm + Shoulders, as the EH loss on the Chest is the same vs. the Legs, but the set Chest is a far superior mitigation increase than the legs.

In these scenarios, you'd have around 71.3% Armor Reduction vs. bosses with the 2-set and 70.8% with the 4-set.

Incidentally, I'm curious as to if we will be able to actually use Heroic + Non-Heroic versions of the items, as if we can it would most likely be worthwhile to use both Devium rings and both 10-man trinkets if possible.
    Maintainer of Rawr.ProtWarr theorycrafting tool. Feel free to PM suggestions or feature requests!

Incidentally, I'm curious as to if we will be able to actually use Heroic + Non-Heroic versions of the items, as if we can it would most likely be worthwhile to use both Devium rings and both 10-man trinkets if possible.
    No you can't... pretty sure it has been said many times before even by blues...
    Finkill | <Rush> | US Horde | Dark Iron
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...inkill&gn=Rush

Quote Originally Posted by Badga View Post
    No you can't... pretty sure it has been said many times before even by blues...
    I've heard mixed report that despite the comments that you wouldn't be able to, people on PTR were still able to very late in the PTR process.

Also, if you wanted to swing heavy avoidance -
    Profiler - Wowhead

Quote Originally Posted by Badga View Post
    Icecrown Citadel Items: Normal and Heroic versions of Icecrown Citadel rings and trinkets are considered Unique-Equipped and cannot be used at the same time.

WoW -> Patch Notes -> Current Patch Notes

Should probably read a bit more...?
    Well, as far as reading goes, I did say, "despite the comments that you wouldn't be able to, people on PTR were still able to."

Suppose they will fix it if it's still doable, though.

BTW, Edgewalker... your avoidance set fails--you should gem Parry gems. (I was only able to make a set that was around 62% avoidance + 81% block in ICC... QQ... my dreams are shattered now! Although it would be kinda amusing in TotC with 82% avoidance + 100% block and 2.3k BV or so. Get to around 97% Mitigation or something retarded outside of ICC.)
    Last edited by Kojiyama; 01-15-2010 at 12:12 PM.

I'm actually pretty surprised to see the negative indication of 12k worth of absorption. That isn't the best on all encounters, but for fights where you're taking one giant burst (Sarth3D or Mimiron for instance) it's actually worth significantly more as a cooldown compared to the druid/DK bonus, and is actually about as valuable as a druid's barkskin.

4000 armor will reduce more damage over time for more fights, but the bonus CD may end up being more valuable to reduce damage when you want it reduced the most. I mean - would you give up Last Stand for 1k more health overall?

+ Reply to Thread