+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Problem holding aggro

Problem holding aggro

Im a frost specced Death Knight moderatly well geared and ready for ICC. However, I have a horrible time holding aggro in heroics. My rotation starts out with Howling Blast, Icy Touch, Plague Blast, Pestilence and Heart Strike. Obliterate is used whenever runes are off cd, but only when Howling Blast is still on cd. Im continually throwing up Rune Strike when possible and using Frost Strike when all runes are on Cd. Armory link is The World of Warcraft Armory

Any advice would be helpful. I think it may be because of my low amount of hit, but my hit doesnt affect my spells so Im assuming that has nothing to do with my threat holding.

First thing I see is that you should put points in Improved Frost Fever but stop there. This will dramatically increase the threat you do for this is the Attack you should always do first. So you're rotation is messed up. First should be Icy Touch, Howling Blast, etc. Another way to get nice aggro is Pestilence after all diseases are on one target, then blood boil.

First off, you want to Open with Death & Decay, not Howling Blast.

Few nitpicks about your spec, why Ravenous Dead instead of Bladed Armor?
    I would say take 5 points from Unholy and put the points into Bladed Armor.
    Bladed Armor should help with threat far more than Ravenous Dead will.

But the biggest issue is rotation and your opening.

One of the best openings for a Frost Tank is to use Death & Decay, Howling Blast, Blood Boil.
    This does two things. It generates a nice amount of Threat, and uses all your blood runes, which activates Bladed Barrier.

I respecced, check my armory in first post. I did alot better tanking mobs in heroics. However, I tried to tank a 25m VOA and my aggro was horrible. People kept pulling off me and making comments about my spec and dual weilding. Not quite sure what was going on, I had to cast taunt everytime it was not off cd. Is my lack of hit causing the issue because I dont gather enough threat with my reg melee attacks because the miss most of the time?

Why are almost all your sockets with Dodge/Stamina?
    General "rules" are if you aren't matching the socket, go straight Stamina.

I personally would toss out Glyph of Unbreakable Armor and get Glyph of Obliterate instead.
    Glyph of Rune Strike is iffy imo, because you can't use Rune Strike against everything. I would get Glyph of Howling Blast or Glyph of Icy Touch to replace it.

As to the threat issue, you were in Frost Presence right? Just asking, because there have been a few times I have opps and tried to tank in Blood or Unholy Presence...

Otherwise the only two things to fix would be Rotation or Hit Rating and maybe Expertise, which is a tad low.

As to rotation this is what I generally use for Single Target:
    Icy Touch, Plague Strike, Blood Strike, Blood Strike, Obliterate, Frost Strike, Obliterate, Frost Strike, Icy Touch, Plague Strike, Horn of Winter, Frost Strike

This is what I use for AoE, after opening with Death & Decay, Howling Blast, Blood Boil:
    Icy Touch, Plague Strike, Pestilence, Blood Boil, Howling Blast, Frost Strike, Obliterate, Frost Strike, Icy Touch, Plague Strike, Frost Strike, Horn of Winter, Frost Strike

Those might help you out a bit.

+ Reply to Thread