+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Socket Bonuses

Socket Bonuses

I need advice on whether it is best to meet your socket bonuses if they are +stam and whether there is a cut off for when you don't meet them. Is it better to meet meta req then gem all stamina or to meet all your socket bonuses. I haven't been able to find any info on this, even on EJ. I play a prot warrior.

I'm further confused seeing as Kungen has met all his socket bonuses even if they are +6stam.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Gemming pure stam will always be more stam than matching socket bonuses(exception might be the headpiece), meeting socket bonuses will always net more from your gear. Whether that extra value is useful or not is up to you. generally the stam czars will send you hate for matching socket bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    Gemming pure stam will always be more stam than matching socket bonuses(exception might be the headpiece), meeting socket bonuses will always net more from your gear. Whether that extra value is useful or not is up to you. generally the stam czars will send you hate for matching socket bonuses.
    HATE! HATE HATE HATE!

Just kidding.

Look, on most fights EH is more effective than avoidance. So, look at your stat bonuses, and look at what else you need.

Here's an example of a good item to match bonuses on: Verdigris Chain Belt. If you put two epic stam gems in, you get 60 stam. If you put in one epic stam and one epic exp/sta gem, you get 45 stam from the gems, plus 9 from the bonus, for 54 total. A loss of 6 stam but a gain of 10 expertise rating, which a lot of tanks find themselves needing. A good trade-off.

Now look at this item: Saronite Swordbreakers. You can put a epic stam gem in for 30 stam...or what are your other choices? +hit? Not all that critical for tanks. +Def? Chances are you're already Def capped. But let's say you get a +def/stam gem. You get 10 DR (a couple points of actual defense at best) and 15 stam, plus the stam bonus of the socket, for 21 stam. You lose 9 stam/90 hp for a couple points of def. If you're under the def cap, a fair trade. If you're over, worthless.

One final example: Cataclysmic Chestguard. 3 epic stam gems in this bad boy give you a whopping 90 stam! But what about those socket bonuses? Well the most logical choices would be a +def/stam for yellow, a +exp/stam for red, and a stam for blue. So we get 60 stam, plus the 12 from the socket bonus, for 72 total. A loss of 18 stam, for a small amount of def and expertise. Unless you are desperately low on both, worthless. And if you have this chest item, chance are you don't need either, especially since it already contains massive amounts of both. All stam is the clear winner here.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. So I'm guessing that I should put a +30 stam in Faceplate of the honorbound even though I am over the def cap then. Also is their anyreason why all of Kungen's gear takes the socket bonuses?

Quote Originally Posted by Irongoddess View Post
    Thanks for the replies. So I'm guessing that I should put a +30 stam in Faceplate of the honorbound even though I am over the def cap then. Also is their anyreason why all of Kungen's gear takes the socket bonuses?
    Probably because the current content isn't hard for a good guild.
    Which is why it doesn't "require" gemming all out stamina/EH.
    That's my reasoning for my current gemming at least, expect kungen to change his gems as well once heroic modes is released.

Quote Originally Posted by Irongoddess View Post
    I've sen Kungen in videos tanking with a two-hander.

The guy's guild is so OP for most of the content they deal with that they don't care how he gears.

Eisen's underestimating defense there, but the point he's giving is exactly the one I mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    Eisen's underestimating defense there, but the point he's giving is exactly the one I mentioned.
    Maybe a little, but in most situations if you're over 540 def and the choice is between 10DR (~3 points of actual def, I believe) and 5-10 stam, I'd still pick the stam. Even though 50hp on paper isn't much it adds up, and stam well scales thanks to spells like kings.

Faceplate of the honorbound

So from what your saying here I'm going to use a 15stam +10def gem in faceplate of the honorbound due to a +12stam bonus. Its only a loss of 3stam.

+ Reply to Thread