+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mob positioning advice

Mob positioning advice

I've been tanking on my pally sense I was level 20 or so, I'm not horrible but I wouldn't say I'm that great. After watching the video on positioning and movement I decided to toss out slow keyboard turning altogether however now I am having a problem I'm level 70 and am just starting to tank lick king 5 mans and I've noticed that my melee dpsers dont run behind the boss instead opt to stand in front of it (which is frustrating most of the time but most deff with dragons) of I've been trying to get into the habbit of turning mobs around when I initially pull so I dont have to worry about melee dpser getting hit with cleave or cone attack and they can go on not paying attention however I've run into the problem were as I begin to strafe around the mob (or boss) they move with me in a very strange manner and almost always end up behind me facing there original position. this can be terrible frustrating and can lead to me being cursed my the melee dps as it takes me a moment to get the mob into position as I know them hitting me from behind is a very bad thing. my biggest issue at the moment is with Skarvald in utgarde as he ends up behind me when I attempt to turn him around and as I struggle to get him in front of me he charges a member of the party and ends up of behind me again. this has led to more then one wipe and is greatly frustrating so any advice you guys could give would be wonderful. (I'm sry if this has been posted b4 and I'm sure it's a huge noob question but pls be nice)

P.s. sry for the long post I know I talk too much:P

All I can say is ask them to DPS from behind.

That will work (and is generally what I do with normal mobs) but with a boss like Skarvald in utgarde and the mobs leading up to him ( the dragonflayer overseers) I need to turn them around in order for them not to hit me from behind when they come back after charging and as I'm relatively sure these are not the only mobs I will face that do this I most certainly need to find a fix for my issue cuz dps from behind fixes my issue with the dpsers but not with the mobs/boss that end up hitting me in the back (ty for the reply btw)

In general as long as your health isn't going down too fast, a few mobs at your back isn't terrible.
    The healer might have to work a bit harder, but sometimes that is the only way to do things.

true but theirs a difference between trash stabbing me in the back and a boss..come to think of it I've never noticed this before the 3.3 patch so did the mobs get bugged or something or did they change they way they move when you try and strafe around them?

I think someone did mention that mobs started to act "strange" since the patch.

Yes, there is a mob pathing bug which, according to Blizzard, is being worked on. There's still no word on when the hotfix will be applied.

Another bit of advice, and this only works vs undeads as a pally, is use Holy Wrath. Herd the pack of undeads into range and pop Holy Wrath. This'll buy you enough time to position yourself to where they'll run to your face. It works especially well anywhere in ICC.

Regarding DPS fighting in front, tell them not to. If they're dumb enough to not listen to you, let them die.

+ Reply to Thread