+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rankwatch, shocking eyeopener.

I don't blame anyone for using low ranks, it happened to me too with my pally. Used a lower rank consecration for quite some instances. And like Maelstrom I use the addon to notify myself only.

We had a good laugh today when running some instances with people from my guild, and we found one was using lower ranks on his pally alt, and then later same guy another alt, lower ranks on his druid (and yes, I know he will read this and hate me for telling you).
    Last edited by Inaoe; 01-10-2010 at 03:19 PM.

I'm so sick of this addon, as a mage I cast downranked flamestrike as part of my AoE rotation and getting spammed by this addon is getting kind of old.

I haven't been called out by this addon yet, which is good. Means I was thorough.

However, I wish I had heard about this addon earlier. I don't remember which toon I noticed it on first, my mage I think, but I noticed the whole training new skills only updates the hotbar of your active spec. After I noticed that, I went through and made sure all of my toons had their hotbars up to date. I think the worst culprit was my hunter, who had a bunch of downranked skills on the not leveling spec (survival,) and yet his dps suffered surprisingly little from it =) I think the only skills that were up to date were explosive shot and black arrow, because obviously you can only train those when speced into them. But serpent sting, steady shot, multi-shot, volley, etc, were all a few ranks behind.

I see this as a VERY easy mistake to make, and suspect there are tons of people running around at 80 using downranked spells or abilities.

wow.
    The DK tank site: pwnwear.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Imoh View Post
    I'm so sick of this addon, as a mage I cast downranked flamestrike as part of my AoE rotation and getting spammed by this addon is getting kind of old.

Funny, the addon specifically ignores one level of Flamestrike downranking (among other things).

RankWatch - Addons - Curse

Given that, either you are downranking more than one level which is wrong (the proper use is Max and Max-1) and you need the warning, or you aren't actually getting the warning.

In a way it makes me sad. I remember a time when down ranking spells was essential to progress and mana regen. Less options nowadays

I think it's pretty funny when someone freaks out on you about it like you're criticizing their game play when you have it set to announce in part. My response is 'I don't think the mod has anything against you man, you shouldn't be so mean to it!'

My wife really wanted to turn it off at first because she didn't want random puggers to mad at her, but, in all cases, once people realize what it is actually saying, they are grateful, since it's an easy, free improvement in their character.

Been running this for a while and it's "advised" a few people, mostly alts and mostly because of the dual spec bug rather than missing training (although not always).

A couple people in my guild have it now. We actually caught a couple people on alts in our raids with downranked abilities. It was either an offspec training issue or a bartender issue. In the cases that it was a training issue, they went and fixed it right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Warwench View Post
    bartender4 was the culprit for me too, i had stuff trained, just the one on my bars didnt update to the max rank.
    I'm pretty sure this happens only if you have dual spec. When you train abilities to max rank on your 1st spec they won't automatically update to max rank on your 2nd spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Radience View Post
    I'm pretty sure this happens only if you have dual spec. When you train abilities to max rank on your 1st spec they won't automatically update to max rank on your 2nd spec.
    Yeah I've only seen issues with dual spec characters. Although I've had some issues with macros and the 1st spec on a dual specced character.
    "Just because it's not nice doesn't mean it's not miraculous." - T. P.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashal View Post
    A couple people in my guild have it now. We actually caught a couple people on alts in our raids with downranked abilities.
    Alt A casts downranked spell.
    Alt A gets whispered by 20 raid members including himself.

win :P

(or DC)

So yesterday we found out our hunter was using rank 8 aimed shot* instead of rank 9.

He's our top guild dps, pulling upwards of 9k on festergut.

O_o

Quote Originally Posted by orcstar View Post
    Alt A casts downranked spell.
    Alt A gets whispered by 20 raid members including himself.

win :P

(or DC)
    Only 2-3 people have it installed in my guild. Typically only one person in each raid has it running.

You'd be suprised how crazy RankWatch gets in Wintergrasp, lol.

Someone used this on my alt healer, noticed each of my heals was 1 rank lower than they should have been- including my water shield. I was wondering why I was having such a difficult time- even asking my shaman friends for advice! After that was all fixed up, things became a lot easier, and now I use this to help others also. Main spec was fine, but that offspec never updated since I got dual spec...

I think the bottom line here is, the mod can detect a problem which is very easily fixed, one that in the past could go completely unnoticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Libicocco View Post
    There are so many things in this game that an average player would have a difficult time figuring out without being able to look up on the internet. Leveling up your skills at the trainer is not one of them. The second quest that every new player does tells them specifically, do this, it is important. The consequences are the exact same in leveling dungeons as they are at 80, instead of dropping ilvls, you effectively lose character levels.

So yes, I consider failure to train to be intentionally nerfing yourself. And this I would say is being rude to the other 4 members of your party. This is worse in a leveling instance where player skill cannot be expected. You wind up with more wipeable situations simply because people have not yet learned how to respond properly on their toons. And they tend to be larger in any case. Being too lazy to click on a hearthstone and spend a few minutes flying back before queuing is no excuse.
    Time for you to get down off your high horse for a sec. This problem is "mostly" from people's second spec not updating.

Quote Originally Posted by Predakhan View Post
    This problem is "mostly" from people's second spec not updating.
    At level 80, sure. I'll go with that.

In the late 60s and 70s, which is what I was talking about? No, or more appropriately "not in my experience." Which, unless you have some kind of non-specious statistics that show otherwise, will be what I go by.

Quote Originally Posted by Libicocco View Post
    At level 80, sure. I'll go with that.

In the late 60s and 70s, which is what I was talking about? No, or more appropriately "not in my experience." Which, unless you have some kind of non-specious statistics that show otherwise, will be what I go by.

I can tell you in my personal experience playing a priest that I've levelled up as shadow, gone to buy my abilities, then when I changed spec to holy, my shadow word: pain or my heals, or whatever were one rank lower and I had to update them from my spellbook manually. It absolutely happens this way, at any level if people have dual spec.

+ Reply to Thread