+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Am I A Fail Tank?

Am I A Fail Tank?

Im a Warrior Prot Tank, and i'm fairly well geared/gemmed/enchanted, and i just tried a new rotation, but my DPS has stayed the same, and it seems my agro holding ability is getting worse... Just wondering wat the hell I'm doing wrong... Anyone that can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Link your Armory and post your rotation, will help folks out with trying to help you.

The World of Warcraft Armory

That's my armory.... The rotation i was told to use for single target, was shield slam, revenge, devastate, with the occasional TClap... I of course have vigilance up on top dps/threat generator... Wat the hell am i doing wrong?

yes ur a fail tank i love u dont worry

Are you having trouble holding single target threat?

Your gear doesn't look bad, aside from a few small changes ( I'd go with the PVP shoulder enchant and get rid of Ony's trinket, and get the +240 armor to gloves).

What I'd do is go ahead and macro in Heroic Strike together with Shield Slam (unless rage is an issue with you). I use Concussion Blow when I have my 5x sunder on the target, but I think the biggest thing you might be missing is Demoralising shout. While it should never be the biggest difference it does help in generating threat.

Best of luck to you!

I hate you. Give me your mace AND your gun.

On a more serious note, your stats are right on par with mine, and I dont ever really notice issues holding aggro unless DPS does something stupid or there's a pally tank lolsecrating next to me in Icecrown. The trinket and glove enchant recommendations I'd go with...but with all due respect to BigFatPaulie I'd say disregard his rotation advice.

Binding HS to anything is a bad idea. You may blow rage you might need a second later. You're better off just spamming the heck out of that key whenever you have the rage to spare.

In addition, while DS DOES provide some threat...it's VERY, VERY little, and it eats a GCD. About the only time I use it are gauntlet pulls like PoS where I know I can't stop to hit something and TC is on cooldown. or on boss fights to keep the boss debuffed. In single target you should basically be using Shield slam whenever up, devastate whenever it isn't (I see you have Dev glyphed so no reason to use Revenge), and spam HS whenever you have rage to burn. I note you have 5/5 shield spec- use that. as soon as enemies start swinging at you drop shield blobk, and drop it every time it's up after. the extra rage from the blocks turns into a lot more HS spam and a considerable amount of threat.

If AoE is the problem, I'd suggest getting rid of glyph of sunder. It doesn't stack with devastate (meaning the sunder effect lands on both targets, but the devastate damage does not), and there's a better option. Get Glyph of Cleave, and replace HS in your aoe rotation with Cleave. It does a boatload of damage, hits 3 targets (opposed to glyph of sunder's 2) and is reasonable on rage, if a little worse than HS. Combine with tab-SS/dev, and kjeeping TC and shockwave on every cooldown, you can put out some respectable aoe threat.

You could also raise expertise a little, which would help..a epic exp/stam gem in those shoulders, legs, or belt would give you that item's +stam socket bonus, trading off a small amount of stam for a decent amount of expertise. You could put a +30 stam gem in the breatplate instead of that exp/stam since you're not getting a socket bonus there, and gain some health back too.

It's very dependant on the situation and I agree with you - on trash pulls I wont waste the GCD on DS but on boss situations I will.
    He didn't clarify where the threat issues were so I generalized.

If it's AoE situations / tanking trash, then yeah Eisen, I do pretty much exactly what you said but I'd also suggest setting the dual spec to an AoE worthy spec (Into Fury for imp. Cleave) Have 2 specs (One for boss and one for Imp. cleave).

O.o how did you manage to get gear like that if you have Threat Issues?

Sorry I just have a hard time seeing how someone can get gear like that while having issues with keeping aggro.

One thing I did notice, is unless you have a source of Expertise from somewhere that isn't in your stats, you are a bit low, and getting that up might help.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPaulie View Post
    It's very dependant on the situation and I agree with you - on trash pulls I wont waste the GCD on DS but on boss situations I will.
    He didn't clarify where the threat issues were so I generalized.

If it's AoE situations / tanking trash, then yeah Eisen, I do pretty much exactly what you said but I'd also suggest setting the dual spec to an AoE worthy spec (Into Fury for imp. Cleave) Have 2 specs (One for boss and one for Imp. cleave).
    You should definitely be putting DS up on bosses, but it's not for threat purposes. DS is what, like 10 threat or something? I think that's what Eisen is getting after.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

I never really had a problem until i switched my rotation... Guess I just gotta find wat works for me... Thanks...

Aggro issues are generally never a gear issue. They're always one of two things:

1) Bad DPSers.
    2) Bad rotation.

If you're losing aggro in the first 20 seconds of the fight or something, it's the first one. If you're losing aggro after that, it's the second one.

Make sure you're getting those Misdirects and that you don't have jerks like Damage-Meter-Hero mages popping all their CD's and blasting away while you're charging in. It's amazing to me how many time I'll be approaching a boss and ranged attacks are flying over my head as I'm running in. Jeez.

Of course, in a world where everyone measures you by silly things like Gearscore and what Recount says, I can hardly blame DPSers for being a little overzealous to make sure they don't get blamed for a wipe because they did 50 less DPS than the next guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustibal View Post
    I never really had a problem until i switched my rotation... Guess I just gotta find wat works for me... Thanks...
    Any particular reason why you changed your rotation?
    If the old one worked stick with it.

If the worst comes to the worst, use a DPS 1H weapon, Tanking weps are great for increasing avoidance stats, but for increasing threat a DPS 1H is great. TBH tho, you mention nothing about about your old rotation vs your new one, so people wont be able to help unless you supply more info. Your gear and stats look great, is it possible you are playing with people who have much better gear and aren't watching their threat?

Actually, reading through again, you mention the rotation you were told to use on single target you didn't mention Heroic Strike. I know its insulting to ask, but you are using it as often as possible yeah?

Aggro issues are generally never a gear issue. They're always one of two things:

1) Bad DPSers.
    2) Bad rotation.

If you're losing aggro in the first 20 seconds of the fight or something, it's the first one. If you're losing aggro after that, it's the second one.
    You win the lottery. Almost always an overzealous Arms dps warrior staying right under your toes or you need to improve on your rotation and maybe even switch gyphs out for more threat oriented ones.

dps also need to know that you will never ever be a pally tank when it comes to AoE. sad day for us lol

+ Reply to Thread