+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about rune enchant

Question about rune enchant

I have searched and couldnt find any info on this, so I was hoping you guys could explain why or why not. Currently with all the extra def stacking up maby there is something better then the 25 def.
    Would something like fallen crusader be useful with the healing + str which would give me more tps and also perry. Any insight would be greeat thank you.

Although I haven't done much DK tanking, from my point of view each rune enchant can be used for specific purposes. 25 defense is nice for tanking, because even though there is a supposed "cap" for defense, there really isn't. Really, it's just the recommended amount to stay alive.

Defense gives you the ability to last a little longer, and I'd see that other rune enchant good for threat but I'm sure the healing from it doesn't have that much of a chance to proc, and even if it does I don't think the healing would be enough to matter. Your choice, try what ever is best for you but I'd say stick with the defense.

Yes I understand there is no cap, but from what I read at a certin point its not as valuable. I was also looking at the Rune of sword Shattering for the 4% parry. My dodge is setting almost 30 % but my parry is only around 20%. Thanks for the reply, looking forward to the opinions.

Fallen crusader does proc often but it is not 100% uptime. The heal is not significant as far as the kind of damage you take as a tank, and it only improves your parry (by adding parry rating), which diminishes faster than dodge rating. Unless your parry is very low, you won't get much additional parry out of it.

+25 defense from stoneskin gargoyle adds to your parry, dodge and chance to be missed, I believe it totals about 3% avoidance. It also increases your stam, which is never a bad thing.

Swordshattering is +4% parry, but it is not subject to diminishing returns like parry rating, so that's great too. The reduced disarm effect is not really useful in raids, I have only seen mobs disarm tanks in some heroics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashal View Post
    Fallen crusader does proc often but it is not 100% uptime. The heal is not significant as far as the kind of damage you take as a tank, and it only improves your parry (by adding parry rating), which diminishes faster than dodge rating. Unless your parry is very low, you won't get much additional parry out of it.

+25 defense from stoneskin gargoyle adds to your parry, dodge and chance to be missed, I believe it totals about 3% avoidance. It also increases your stam, which is never a bad thing.

Swordshattering is +4% parry, but it is not subject to diminishing returns like parry rating, so that's great too. The reduced disarm effect is not really useful in raids, I have only seen mobs disarm tanks in some heroics.
    A very well explained explanation of what I was trying to say earlier, thank you. As I said I only know so much about Death Knight tanking from what I read, what I've done on my Death Knight(which isn't much), and from Death Knight tanks I know.

But yes I'd say stick with the Defense rune, for it does give more avoid +stam over all, and 4% parry is useless now to a DK tank since they nerfed it for them, and other tanks a couple patches ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostglaive View Post
    and 4% parry is useless now to a DK tank since they nerfed it for them, and other tanks a couple patches ago.
    I have to disagree there. The 4% parry isn't added as parry rating, which would be subject to diminishing returns. It's just added to whatever your parry (after DR) is now. 4% more avoidance is 4% more avoidance, whether it is coming from parry, dodge, or miss chance.

I have to disagree there. The 4% parry isn't added as parry rating, which would be subject to diminishing returns. It's just added to whatever your parry (after DR) is now. 4% more avoidance is 4% more avoidance, whether it is coming from parry, dodge, or miss chance.
    Indeed, but with defense getting all three avoidance stats added, that brings more avoidance and less damage done to the table within a raid, helping out overall. On top of that, Parry still has diminishing returns with Dodge, so it's best to just try and go with the defense IMO.

Setting aside the extra stam you get from SSG, since we're debating the merit of 4% parry:

There is no qualitative difference between getting +1% dodge/parry/miss, which totals 3%, and getting +3% parry. Either way you have 3% more avoidance.

But swordshatter gives 4%. Purely from the perspective of avoidance, swordshatter is better.

But, SSG does give more stam, and that does have to also be considered.

Setting aside the extra stam you get from SSG, since we're debating the merit of 4% parry:

There is no qualitative difference between getting +1% dodge/parry/miss, which totals 3%, and getting +3% parry. Either way you have 3% more avoidance.

But swordshatter gives 4%. Purely from the perspective of avoidance, swordshatter is better.

But, SSG does give more stam, and that does have to also be considered.
    As far as Stam goes with the other enchant, I agree that's what makes it better. Yes it has 1% more avoidance, but that's not that big of a difference overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostglaive View Post
    On top of that, Parry still has diminishing returns with Dodge, so it's best to just try and go with the defense IMO.
    If you're implying that Parry and Dodge share a DR curve then that's incorrect. The amount of one rating will not impact the DR on the other.

But that's a moot point, since as said Swordshattering is not rating so doesn't even impact the DR on parry.

Also, they haven't nerfed parry at all... in fact they buffed it and nerfed Dodge a few patched back (when they made the rating conversions equal).

+ Reply to Thread