+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tankadin Gems: Avoidance vs. Strength

Tankadin Gems: Avoidance vs. Strength

Hello everyone, just throwing the probably often-asked question about Tankadin gems. I'm a big fan of just dumping STR into my red sockets, primarily for the block value. Should I be gemming for actual avoidance? Or just dumping on the stam? I know there's no "right" way to do it, I was just wondering what the general populace of tanks was doing.

My red slots are used for Sovereign Dreadstones. While I've heard some people doing agility for reds I don't feel that Paladins should try and gem/enchant for avoidance in any way. We are much better mitigation tanks than avoidance tanks.

I've seen others go straight stamina on everything and while this is okay I feel that it makes a character more 1 dimensional. I prefer to be a well rounded tank.

Unless the socket bonus is very special or you need a certain color to activate a meta, I'd suggest getting as much stamina as possible. Of course, if you need Defense still I'd suggest getting 10 defense and +15 stamina. Otherwise, get the purple gem for Parry + Stamina, or Dodge +Stamina. The block value isn't really needed or as helpful for tanking overall, due to the fact that it only happens so often, only absorbs some damage and doesn't have you just have it miss you completely.

So get avoidance + stamina, defense + stamina, or just plain stamina if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostglaive View Post
    Unless the socket bonus is very special or you need a certain color to activate a meta, I'd suggest getting as much stamina as possible. Of course, if you need Defense still I'd suggest getting 10 defense and +15 stamina. Otherwise, get the purple gem for Parry + Stamina, or Dodge +Stamina. The block value isn't really needed or as helpful for tanking overall, due to the fact that it only happens so often, only absorbs some damage and doesn't have you just have it miss you completely.

So get avoidance + stamina, defense + stamina, or just plain stamina if you can.
    No @ dodge/stam or parry stam. Never on a paladin tank.

Agility/stam is great on paladins, mostly because of the great agi->dodge conversion, as well as
    1 agi = 2 armor
    agi -> More crit (most pally abilities work off melee combat tables)

You should never gem str/stam for SBV, it's very weak as 2 str=1 SBV. However, you are probably seeing a threat increase because the str is driving your AP, which makes your attacks swing harder. Gem for expertise/stam until cap, then agility/stam.

Hmm

I'm starting to notice a trend here....Everyone seems to have their own opinions on how to gem. As for threat generation, the STR doesn't help out in AP so much as it does SP, the basis of threat generation as a pally tank. Is there a spreadsheet out there that shows exactly what stats convert down to? (1 AGI to 2 armor, 2 STR to 1 SBV, etc.) Perhaps this topic can be more standardized once we all figure out what stats are more beneficial rather than just gemming avoidance altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Loituma View Post
    I'm starting to notice a trend here....Everyone seems to have their own opinions on how to gem. As for threat generation, the STR doesn't help out in AP so much as it does SP, the basis of threat generation as a pally tank. Is there a spreadsheet out there that shows exactly what stats convert down to? (1 AGI to 2 armor, 2 STR to 1 SBV, etc.) Perhaps this topic can be more standardized once we all figure out what stats are more beneficial rather than just gemming avoidance altogether.
    Spellpower is not the core of our threat at all, Loituma. Our tanking abilities' damage all scale generally as much from ap as they do from sp, making strength 230% better than spell power.
    the only ability tankadins have to tank that scale better from sp than ap is sacred shield, which does not scale from ap at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    Spellpower is not the core of our threat at all, Loituma. Our tanking abilities' damage all scale generally as much from ap as they do from sp, making strength 230% better than spell power.
    the only ability tankadins have to tank that scale better from sp than ap is sacred shield, which does not scale from ap at all.

Isn't the general idea that tankadin threat is based off of holy damage? Hence the purpose of increasing threat generated by holy damage from RF? SP kicks up the damage of holy spells, thus increasing TPS...but again, I understand wholly that stacking STR for the point of getting SP out of it is a moot point.

Am I missing the mechanics of something?

Isn't the general idea that tankadin threat is based off of holy damage? Hence the purpose of increasing threat generated by holy damage from RF? SP kicks up the damage of holy spells, thus increasing TPS...but again, I understand wholly that stacking STR for the point of getting SP out of it is a moot point.

Our "holy spells" scale with attack power. Some of them *exclusively* with attack power, too. We Judge their faces with muscle.

More to the point, you are missing the WotLK launch patch notes. You are living in the TBC days where Spellpower was a pally tanking stat.

As already mentioned already, Holy Damage scales off AP and SP, but it scales fastest using Strength, so stacking Strength increases Holy Damage. Touched By The Light talent is just 30% extra double-dipping, and to cover mechanics that don't scale off AP.

Is there a spreadsheet out there that shows exactly what stats convert down to? (1 AGI to 2 armor, 2 STR to 1 SBV, etc.)
    Was able to quickly find this on maintankadin (there's posts here too on tankspot, but this was quicker for me to find) about agility:

• Each point of Agility is 84% as effective as a point of dodge rating for avoidance. (i.e. 10 AGI ~ 8.4 Dodge rating ~ 0.114% Dodge
    • Each point of Agility is 98% as effective at reducing average incoming damage as a point of dodge rating
    • Each point of Agility also gives you almost 1 pont of critical strike rating.
    full article here.

+ Reply to Thread