+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Expertise being replaced by hit for tanks in Ice Crown.

Expertise being replaced by hit for tanks in Ice Crown.

Ok, i am a little concerned.

Parry Mechanics

When a boss parries your attack, it reduces the default swing timer of the bosses next main hand attack. Based on the time during the bosses swing timer that the parry occurs, it can cause a boss to appear to attack in rapid succession, dealing burst damage to the tank, and is often the cause of those ‘OMG WHAT HAPPENED?’ type of insta gibs.
    Code:
    http://www.tankhard.com/2007/12/30/weapon-expertise-and-parry-mechanics/
    That makes it seem pretty apparent that expertise is fairly important for tanks, so why is so much expertise being taken away and so much hit being added? It just seems uesless, especially for a dk tank who can spec into virulence.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the tanking world. =)

That said, hit is not useless, just buffs things differently, and parry-gibbing (our vernacular) is a concern, but not a huge one. It is the survival value you get from Expertise.

As for gear itemization, there is always plenty of sources of expertise and hit, and you just have to pick your sources carefully. Just because the gear is higher ilvl/GS does *not* mean it is always the best thing for you.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

What Satorri said, word for word, could not be put in a better way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Quote Originally Posted by Satorri View Post
    Welcome to the tanking world. =)

That said, hit is not useless, just buffs things differently, and parry-gibbing (our vernacular) is a concern, but not a huge one. It is the survival value you get from Expertise.

As for gear itemization, there is always plenty of sources of expertise and hit, and you just have to pick your sources carefully. Just because the gear is higher ilvl/GS does *not* mean it is always the best thing for you.
    But..but..ilevel is almost the same thing as gearscore level..and that rules our lives with an iron fist! Ho dare you suggest that item level is unimportant! INFIDEL!

In all seriousness though, this isn't a big deal. Expertise is easy to gem up, and keeping close to the dodge cap shouldn't be hard. Getting to the parry cap will, but that's hardly ever a real worry.
    Last edited by Eisen; 01-08-2010 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Satorri View Post
    Just because the gear is higher ilvl/GS does *not* mean it is always the best thing for you.
    No, no, no, no, no,no, no, noooooooooooooooooooooooo. GS is all that matters, just read trade chat. The PuG's know, the PuGs know EVERYTHING

What? Item Level doesn't matter? CLEARLY you don't know how to be truly-1337.
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f160/...-1337ness.html
    Section 3, Point 3 of my 1337-guide clearly states that the higher the ilvl, the better. Who looks at stats anyway?

(In all seriousness, please do not follow any of the advice contained within the guide linked within this post. If you were considering it, please stop playing WoW. :-) )

As far as Expertise is concerned, the Cataclysmic Chestguard has a healthy dose of it, as does a number of other pieces, so it shouldn't be a major problem. Just remember to hold on to a few pieces that still have some Expertise on them if it's getting critically low, and swap them back out.

Quote Originally Posted by Eravian View Post
    As far as Expertise is concerned, the Cataclysmic Chestguard has a healthy dose of it, as does a number of other pieces, so it shouldn't be a major problem. Just remember to hold on to a few pieces that still have some Expertise on them if it's getting critically low, and swap them back out.
    ^ This.

And I know I'm looking to take Deathbringer Saurfang's pants in 10 man ICC:
    Deathforged Legplates - Item - World of Warcraft

Well ok then, thanks for the responses.

Sucks, i wont have as many upgrades to look forward to, but your right. Im not chasing gear score here, just the upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
    keeping close to the parry cap shouldn't be hard. Getting to the Dodge cap will

I thought the "hard cap" was Parry, not dodge... O_o? if the cap for dodge was 56, then all the dps would need to get stupid amounts of expertise, and for some reason they all get to 26 then stop.. (Talking about melee dps obviously)

Quote Originally Posted by MudNova View Post
    I thought the "hard cap" was Parry, not dodge... O_o? if the cap for dodge was 56, then all the dps would need to get stupid amounts of expertise, and for some reason they all get to 26 then stop.. (Talking about melee dps obviously)
    Typed em in backwards, cuz I r teh stoopud. Fixed.

This is clearly a stealth buff to orc tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Proletaria View Post
    This is clearly a stealth buff to orc tanks.
    Ya, with all the tank axes in TOGC and ICC

10 man Lich King drops a totally badass tanking axe.

Troggbane, Axe of the Frostborne King - Items - Sigrie

Quote Originally Posted by Gnurken View Post
    Ya, with all the tank axes in TOGC and ICC
    I tank with an axe. =X

It's good to not feel limited to a certain weapon type, while still having more HP. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Eh, most bosses that have a scary notion of parry-gibs have it removed anyways, aka Festergut, Patchwerk, Gormok, etc. Expertise as a survival stat is pretty much the bottom rung of tank priorities.

I will say that it's making the dodge cap fairly annoying. I regret not buying my T10 legs first.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    No, no, no, no, no,no, no, noooooooooooooooooooooooo. GS is all that matters, just read trade chat. The PuG's know, the PuGs know EVERYTHING

Oh, that's simple, just make sure you have three sets of gear:

1. Effective Health for magic damage fights
    2. Avoidance for physical fights
    3. Gearscore for LFG/LFR fights

/i actually used to maintain a slot in my equipment manager for this when running Flame Leviathan for extra siege engine HP

+ Reply to Thread