+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting destroyed as a warrior tank on Festergut (10 man version)

Getting destroyed as a warrior tank on Festergut (10 man version)

Hi guys,

yesterday I tried to do the 10 man version of ICC. Everything went fine as always until we got to Festergut. While our 2 healers (exceptional players with exceptional gear, paladin and druid) had no problems keeping our druid tank alive on Festergut it was nearly impossible to keep my warrior up after only 2 inhales. Obviously I now feel bad since they were kind enough to take my warrior with them and now I ruined their ID and I obviously don't want that to happen ever again. So maybe one of you guys got an idea on what I could change in order to improve my survivability on Festergut.

My current gear can be seen here:
    The World of Warcraft Armory

As a CD rotation after 3 inhales I use:

1. Shield Wall
    2. Last Stand + Enraged Regeneration
    3. Trinkets + Shield Block

At all times Demo Shout and Thunder Clap is kept up on the mob. I do use +40 Agi/+40 Stamina buff food and Indestructible Potions before and during the fight. We had the following buffs: BoK, BoM, Stamina Scroll, talented Commanding Shout, talented SoE totem and talented GotW.

Does anyone else got an idea on what I could improve (except obviously getting better gear)?

Fester does parry gib too. Might switch the agi food (which 40 agi is not much dodge anyway) for expertise food instead. Other than that, what I usually do is pop my dodge trinket before the second inhale, last stand through the second, then shield wall through the third. By then the second tank is taunting off me, I go battle stance. Once we get close to when he spews the shadow damage back out, I pop back into def stance, and by then my trinks and shield wall are usually close to available again. Other than that, I'd like to see others' responses. Also if you can replace that belt, do so. For the ilevel it sucks for EH. I used it up until our bank had enough runed orbs to craft the ulduar pattern and I didn't raid TOC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    Fester does parry gib too. Might switch the agi food (which 40 agi is not much dodge anyway) for expertise food instead.
    Any proof for that? I haven't kept a combat log from our fight. But I would assume that Blizard has parry hasting disabled on Festergut giving the tremendous tank damage and general mechanic of that fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    Also if you can replace that belt, do so. For the ilevel it sucks for EH. I used it up until our bank had enough runed orbs to craft the ulduar pattern and I didn't raid TOC.
    Yeah, I already changed the belt right after posting here after doing some math. While the crafted belt is not a large improvement it is an improvement after all. And hey, it's just gold .

Another thing as I looked over your gear, change your weapon enchant. Blood Draining should never have to be active for you should never drop that low as a tank. I myself use Blade Ward for it increases your avoidance, and does some damage to the target when you parry plus it stacks. That or go with Titanium Weapon Chain, or an Agility enchant for the armor + crit.

This is up to you as well put I'd take the points out of focused rage and put it into Shield Specialization, for as a tank you get enough rage pool to not need that -3 rage points needed for your abilities, and it just increases the chance of survival by a smaller amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Wido View Post
    Any proof for that? I haven't kept a combat log from our fight. But I would assume that Blizard has parry hasting disabled on Festergut giving the tremendous tank damage and general mechanic of that fight.
    Going on other trusted posters from here on that one. I don't have a parse but from our own attempts and kill that's what it was looking like for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

"Titanium Weapon Chain
    "

I'd leave the titanium weapon chain to the pvpers

Question, First time i am Posting on TankSpot
    would be awsome if i could get some information on RotFace + FesterGut

First Problem - Slimes for my raid didn't seem like the slimes would join together and if they did we got 2 big slimes instead of one big one?. another problem i guess alot of people were tunnel visioning the infected on them self's and wouldnt kite so fail right there

Second Problem : FesterGut we got him to 50% me as a Prot Pally and my ot As a Prot Warrior, it seemed like he didnt have a rotation on for his cd's? but i did watch all videos and read the post's you guys had, so followed with 8 stacks and then OT taunted but he was getting smashed on he would get to like 4 stacks and die instantly help if you can please

Below i will link you to both myself and ot Armory so u can see if its a gear problem or just not hitting Rotation by Off Tank.

any help for those 2 boss's lmk thx for the help and letting me post

Quote Originally Posted by Wido View Post
    Parry haste = off is the exception not the rule. We can guess which fights it happens on, but I wouldn't take it for granted. He does seem like a good candidate with the attack speed/dmg buff, but still. Until you can be reasonably certain he doesn't parry haste I'd prepare for it still.

Also, could you provide some more specifics? If you're tying at 2 stacks, then that means you're tanking first right? At you dying the first time you're up or the second time.

What's going on in terms of the raid? There's a fair amount of raid damage going on in this fight and some movement.

You seem more than geared to me, and if you're keeping TC/Demo/Commanding and chugging a pot then there's little reason for you to be going down at 2 stacks.

Also, I would suggest tweaking your CD rotation a little to get a hand of sacrifice at the end. Although if you time it well, there should only be 2 seconds or so left until he exhales in which case that hand of sacrifice may very well kill the pally (well not directly).

@Wido - Your gear is a tiny bit low.... ideally you want to be between 245 and 258 for these events... however, I would suggest that you not be afraid to use external cooldowns. It looks like you have two Paladins.... why not have a Divine Sacrifice (or whatever its called) rotation on you for after your cooldowns wear out. FYI, the shieldwall will be good, but Last Stand still requires your healers to be on the ball. A priest with pain suppression would be great if possible, or wings if they are holy.
    Deeps for show..... tank for dough.....

@Wukkah - Your gear is still a touch low... for both of you. At the moment, Pallys take a beating a bit better than warriors (my opinion) but he still has 2 pieces of Valor badge gear and a ton of 232 gear and lower. If your healers are geared like he is, you really have no chance of keeping him up.

As always, make sure you have imp demo shout (or a ret pally) and keep Tclap down. Indestructable Potions are good.... but he really needs gear.

My advice to to keep trying and use external cds to try and keep him up. You could also have him go first and see if he can make it to 9 stacks. The healers have less to worry about initially.... it might make it easier.
    Deeps for show..... tank for dough.....

Quote Originally Posted by Frostglaive View Post
    Another thing as I looked over your gear, change your weapon enchant. Blood Draining should never have to be active for you should never drop that low as a tank. I myself use Blade Ward for it increases your avoidance, and does some damage to the target when you parry plus it stacks. That or go with Titanium Weapon Chain, or an Agility enchant for the armor + crit.
    I used Blade Ward in the past and decided to replace it. Especially for Festergut it looks like a bad enchant decision to me:
    Blade Ward proccs approx. once per minute in my experience and most theory crafters do agree. Stacking the buff more than once is a rare occurance. If you parry while Blade Warding is active you loose one stack of the buff. This means the buffs uptime will decrease as your parry increases. Additionally the buff time also decreases the faster a mob attacks. Festergut does have an attack speed buff up most of the time therefore increasing the number of hits you take and the chance that at least one of the hits was parried during the buff's up time.
    Blood Draining on the other hand equals a 200 stamina buffer once every 50 seconds when you need it the most. It may come done to personal taste though.

This is up to you as well put I'd take the points out of focused rage and put it into Shield Specialization, for as a tank you get enough rage pool to not need that -3 rage points needed for your abilities, and it just increases the chance of survival by a smaller amount.
    I already thought about that and in fact in the past I didn't skill focused rage. But as my gear improved I ended up rage starved on quite a few occasions (trash, heroics, even some normal mode encounters like Ice Howl). Since most of the time I have a lot less problems with threat I may decide to switch the points from deep wounds into Shield Specialization.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    I'd leave the titanium weapon chain to the pvpers
    You are aware that the weapon chain does provide a good chunk of hit as well and that I am not hit capped?

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin Man View Post
    Parry haste = off is the exception not the rule. We can guess which fights it happens on, but I wouldn't take it for granted. He does seem like a good candidate with the attack speed/dmg buff, but still. Until you can be reasonably certain he doesn't parry haste I'd prepare for it still.
    I am aware of that. But as you said: Festergut is the typical candidate for a non parry hasting mob. Since I do die from massive damage I would prefer to see some logs of parry hasting before sacrificing avoidance for expertise. I already got a few stacks of expertise food though just to be prepared .

Also, could you provide some more specifics? If you're tying at 2 stacks, then that means you're tanking first right? At you dying the first time you're up or the second time.
    We actually did both. We started with me tanking first. As soon as we realized that the damage can't be healed we decided to put me as the second tank hoping that the CDs will make a difference. While it was manageable as long as Shield Wall was up I died to 20 - 25k hits per second as soon as it went off. Last Stand + Enraged Regeneration paired with a full set of druid HoTs, Nourish and Holy Light spam was not enough to keep me from dying.

What's going on in terms of the raid? There's a fair amount of raid damage going on in this fight and some movement.
    We had a few wipes due to bad timing. I died once because the paladin had to refresh the beacon during 3 inhales. But we adapted our tactics accordingly. So the raid damage and movement was not an issue.

Also, I would suggest tweaking your CD rotation a little to get a hand of sacrifice at the end. Although if you time it well, there should only be 2 seconds or so left until he exhales in which case that hand of sacrifice may very well kill the pally (well not directly).
    We thought about it but ultimately it never came to it since I died as soon as Shield Wall went off.

just one thing to add i do have blade warding on my weapon

@ unger , hey i do have the warrior tank going first now. but he gets to 5 stacks and now dies - i dont have a dot healer with us ( Priest , Druid ) i am running 2x holy pallys Resto shammy. hmmmm

I have to agree with wido in that pretty much everything you've said here I completely disagree with.

If a tank is nver dropping below 35%, why does he need to bother parrying? That is a terrible argument for blade ward over blood draining. Imo blood draining is the best tanking enchant.

The shield spec thing can come down to personal preference, but every time I've tried it I've had terrible rage issues, focused rage is much better and losing 3% block is negligible at best for a warrior.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

+ Reply to Thread