+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Am I Missing the Point on Hit/Exp?

Am I Missing the Point on Hit/Exp?

Armory link: The World of Warcraft Armory

So... I just started tanking reg and now some heroics (hadn't had much past experience with instances) after studying fights and gearing as best I could (AH and crafted were my friends). I hit 535 easy enough and, realizing that def is still good beyond 540, I focused on replacing gear, gemming, and enchanting in order to pursue the exp and hit "caps". I believe I am where i wanna be wrt exp and am omw to hit. My thought has been to replace gear with more hit without sacrificing def and trying not to fall below on exp. Health, I figured, I was sitting ok at 28K and that eff health will keep going up until I really could gem more sta (while maintaining around the exp/hit caps).

Is pursuit of hit/exp something that matters only later as a potential raider? I ask because, I have gotten a few comments ("Why are you wearing that?" "What is with the dps ring?" Well, it was my highest +hit and all things considered that seemed to get me to a goal better than a couple more def above 540) and I also chatted with one tank who basically said "gem sta, str/sta, def/sta... some of the best tanks are not hit or exp capped."

Before I go spending emblems going down the above path, am I misguided? Did you fall down laughing at the armory... "THAT'S a tank!?!" Should I just "go blue"... pumping up the sta and adding to def. Hit/exp meh until you grow up little cow?

Thanks for you guidance in advance!

Kcaj
    Last edited by NavySWO91; 01-08-2010 at 12:19 AM.

Offhand, I think your Hit might be a tad low, and your Expertise a bit high.

I think the "target numbers" are 263 Hit Rating and 26 Expertise, but I could be wrong.

One thing that I see that should be changed is your bracer Enchant, get Stamina on your bracers instead of Expertise.

Crazy question, why a DPS ring?

I know alot of the experts will tear you up on your gems.
    Current trend is a X/Stamina or a Pure Stamina gem for all sockets depending on the socket bonus.

You have a good start to your gear. Read some of the warrior tanking guides out there to get additional help. Although Selene mentioned target numbers for hit, being hit capped is not required and having a fairly low hit-rating is alright as long as you continue to hold threat. I would not gem for expertise or hit in your case since you should have more than 26 expertise without gemming (this makes your attacks undodgeable). I would try to get your HP up since it seems a little low. Get stam enchants and gems. If you want to collect socket bonuses get gems with stam on them (i. e. dodge/stam). I personally only pick up socket bonuses if they are 12 stam or more, but some people say you should pick them up at 9 stam. Depends on your preference. Hit/expertise should not be your goals, survivability should.

Thanks... changed some gems to lower expertise and increase sta... took off the +hit ring and put back the blue. Health up to 29.1 Defense up to 554.

Hit went way down. Should I continue to get rid of hit by replacing yellow gems in bracers and boots and replacing +hit enchant on gloves (armsman?). I got the belt for the bump in expertise it gives... that again has gem for hit (and expertise but replacing that brings me below 26. I only have Waistguard of the Risen Knight - Item - World of Warcraft to fall back on if the belt should go.

Other thoughts?

If you are going to gem for hit, use Hit/Stamina gems.

+ Reply to Thread