+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tanking H HoR/Caster Mobs and Melee

Tanking H HoR/Caster Mobs and Melee

I've been having trouble with H HoR lately. Whenever I get the mix of priest/mage, it's hard for me to gather everything up efficiently. I have Imp Spell Reflection too and it never seems to work at the right times. Any tips on how to handle casters in HoR and in general would be great.

Heroic throw & shield bash.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MellvarTank View Post
    Heroic throw & shield bash.
    Indeed, and Spell Reflection can be nice but unless you cast it at the right times for the right spells that can be reflected, it doesn't do much. What I usually do is get Initial aggro with Thunder Clap which should hit all of them if you're in the right place, Charge one from the back and Shield Bash so it's silenced, then quickly use Heroic Throw at another and run back to the previous group.

Then I just Shockwave them all, cleave, Thunder Clap, etc. Until they all die.

Heroic throw and charge are 2 things you pretty much have to use in this. Shockwave too, as well as shield bash. Don't forget taunt also. These are epically important if you have no other players to help CC or DK grabbing t hem. Other than that, just tap target, cleave, etc.

Well there is the ever popular "alcove" stratedy. Have your whole team (especially the healer) hide in the alcove where Marwyn or Falric spawn at and make sure that you guys line of sight the pulls. All of them will gather up right next to you and you can thunderclap / shockwave and cleave spam. It's a little laggy but without any form of CC it's the best strat so far.
    Noob Prot Pally - Armory

Quote Originally Posted by Rominoodle View Post
    Well there is the ever popular "alcove" stratedy. Have your whole team (especially the healer) hide in the alcove where Marwyn or Falric spawn at and make sure that you guys line of sight the pulls. All of them will gather up right next to you and you can thunderclap / shockwave and cleave spam. It's a little laggy but without any form of CC it's the best strat so far.
    Indeed this does work, the problem with it is that you don't always get initial aggro, and you have units run through the one corner past the lamp and start blasting your healer or dps. But yes, that does work you just have to be mindful of what to pick up and how.

It does work but it works a lot better for AOE tanks (which I don't think us warriors are as good at when we don't have mobs grouped).

Quote Originally Posted by psychocrasha View Post
    It does work but it works a lot better for AOE tanks (which I don't think us warriors are as good at when we don't have mobs grouped).
    If you have a DK in the group, could ask if they are willing to Death Grip certain mobs for you, like the Riflemen or Mages.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    If you have a DK in the group, could ask if they are willing to Death Grip certain mobs for you, like the Riflemen or Mages.

Not to mention Strangulate and Brain Freeze.

but good luck, all your DPS are looking at is meters and spamming their rotations.

Quote Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
    Not to mention Strangulate and Brain Freeze.

but good luck, all your DPS are looking at is meters and spamming their rotations.
    Not all of them, but most of that is all they do.
    Hell you are lucky anymore to get DPS that attack marked targets.

I know the Tank for the HoR I did thanked me for Deathgripping the Riflemen or Mages for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    The riflemen are particularly good candidates for Shackle, Repentence, Freezing Trap, and other ranged cc since they usually stop outside of aoe range to pelt your healer. They don't do as much dmg, but their Frost Trap makes tanking the fight even more annoying, and worth pre-empting w/ cc. The mages seem to get into aoe range more frequently, maybe they have a shorter range than hunters or something.

But yeah, pugged dps are 50/50 ime, half of them are pro, half are complete aoe-tards with no concept of focus-fire, kill order, or cc. I just try to save H HoR for guild runs w/ vent, makes it cake. And people wonder why there's a tank shortage in LFG.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
    The riflemen are particularly good candidates for Shackle, Repentence, Freezing Trap, and other ranged cc since they usually stop outside of aoe range to pelt your healer. The mages seem to get into aoe range more frequently, maybe they have a shorter range than hunters or something.

But yeah, pugged dps are 50/50 ime, half of them are pro, half are complete aoe-tards with no concept of focus-fire, kill order, or cc. I just try to save H HoR for guild runs w/ vent, makes it cake. And people wonder why there's a tank shortage in LFG.
    I just instance it as DPS only...
    The only time I will specifically Tank for it is with people I know.

I have had too many randoms where I'm looking at the Healer and trying to figure out how they got into the instance. And they prove me right when we can't even get to the first boss...

Exactly, Heroic Throw & Shield Bash. Silences them and makes them come to you.

There are a few ways to do it, but my favorites are doing it in the borders of the rooms, either the front door or the back door. You stand where the hallway starts and the healer hugs the door. This makes most ranged mobs more reachable to you.
    This also makes melee mobs less likely to gib your healer: initial aggro from the alcove is super tricky, because to hide properly, dps will often be closer to the enemies, giving them the range aggro. You'll also have a much better reaction time available(as in: faster than 3 nanosseconds), eliminating the problem of thunderclapping that microssecond too late. It also removes the inconvenience of off-attacks like the footmen's cleave and shield bash.

Priests are melee casters, don't worry about silencing those till they decide to heal something.
    Magi have rather short ranges and can be stopped with heroic throw/avenger's shield/death grip/strangulate/shockwave/hammer of justice.
    Hunters can be disarmed and CCed in multiple forms.

As long as people do NOT aoe mindlessly, you won't have any problem holding aggro there.

+ Reply to Thread