+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why does my Festergut DPS suck? (fury warrior)

Why does my Festergut DPS suck? (fury warrior)

I felt pretty shitty last night when I couldn't even break 7k DPS on festergut 25on the 2 attempts. My warrior is okay geared; I'm not full ilvl 245 but I'm almost there. Here is my armory:

The World of Warcraft Armory

My priority is WW>BT>slam procs> HS at 50+ rage, the usual. Does anyone have any idea of what I could do to improve my DPS? I use death wish/recklessness constantly and make sure I time my DW cooldown with bloodlust.

Any comments/advice? It's so frustrating to be unable to even reach 7k.

I'll admit up front that I'm not terribly good at pulling useful information out of WoL compared to WMO. Just a matter of what you're used to, I suppose, but I wanted to admit the margin for error before I started in.

Pulling the following from attempt number six in your logs, since it was the longest fight, and thus (hopefully) the best indication of your normal skill usage.

I couldn't find where WoL might track the number of Slam! procs you got, but 27 slams seems slightly high for your fight duration. You probably want to check to make sure you're not using non-proc slams, and that you're not horning in on what should be a WW or BT GCD.

Your BT usage looks about right for the fight length, but you should be able to squeeze in 3-5 more WWs over the course of the fight by cleaning up your rotation.

You may also be able to gain more damage by not holding out for Lust before your second Deathwish, thus gaining time in the fight for a third use. I'm guessing that you guys are holding out either for about the three minute mark, when all personal DPS cooldowns would have been back up, or for the execute phase, neither of which is terribly conducive for us with our two minute cooldown.

Lastly, your HS usage seemed a bit high (47% of all swings), though not much. With all the raid damage going out until the third inhale, rage starvation isn't a huge issue, but you might want to look at moderating your usage slightly during that period to keep up with the needs of WW/BT.

Thanks for the advice.

I think try 7 may be a better one because I was actually brought in at try 6 and didn't really know what we were doing; not that the DPS discrepenacy is significant or anything, it was still terrible.

I will try tightening up my rotation since I don't wait that second after my free GCD. Thanks again.

Any other criticism? Anything from anyone is welcome.

Btw, here is the log for that night, I was only there for try 6 and 7.

World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis

Ap to boots, Ap to gloves, change the 10 str 10 crit gem in your belt for a 20 expertise gem. Have a stop cast macro for Slam so you only ever slam when you have the slam buff.

Thats all I can think of from looking at your armoury.

Until he inhales all of the gas you should be able to spam heroic strike all of the time while keeping your rotation in check. Try and use DW 3 times in that fight as well. Even if you only get 15 seconds of it with heroism up.
    I has a top hat.

Hi guys, some great analysis by some posters in here. I am shamelessly refering you to my Halp! thread http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f175/...s-my-gear.html to see if you could help me too!

your rotation is not right. i look at your fight #6 for 4:37, you only did 48 HS, 25 BT and 15 WW. my rotations is also not best yet. but for my fight 4:55, i did 94 HS, 62 BT and 31 WW. my advice is try to practice your rotation more.

finally, try to heroic throw when your ww, bt and slam are on CD.

hopefully these will help.

As far as im aware Heroic Throw resets your swing timer. So if you have to use heroic throw ( and tbh you shouldn't because of all the Heroic strikes translating into Slam procs ) time it for when your weapons just make contact so your not losing dps.
    I has a top hat.

Quote Originally Posted by orgg View Post
    finally, try to heroic throw when your ww, bt and slam are on CD.
    heroic throw resets your swing timer so you would have to make sure its right after a main hand swing.

also, switching to battle stance and rending for single target while your ww and bt are on cd and you dont have a bloodsurge proc is the best way to go to maximize your dps. make sure you do it right after bt goes on cd and ww still has a few seconds and you didnt get a slam proc. you should get back to serker stance just in time to continue your normal rotation. it does take practice to execute it right however.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Destruyen View Post
    heroic throw resets your swing timer so you would have to make sure its right after a main hand swing.

also, switching to battle stance and rending for single target while your ww and bt are on cd and you dont have a bloodsurge proc is the best way to go to maximize your dps. make sure you do it right after bt goes on cd and ww still has a few seconds and you didnt get a slam proc. you should get back to serker stance just in time to continue your normal rotation. it does take practice to execute it right however.
    IDK if i would suggest this. The most common reason why most fury warriors are doing less dps then they should is rage starvation, swapping to battle stance is a very minimal dps increase and more often then not will mess up your rotation because your rage starved.

in a raid buffed environment you should be fine. all raiding fury warriors should have 3/3 tactical mastery already for shattering throw so you will have plenty of rage. one white hit once you are back in zerker stance will fuel your next ww/bt combo. if not, most get imp zerker rage, pop that on top of the 25 rage you'll have once you're back in zerker stance, instant 45 rage.

landsoul proves it's a dps gain.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

It IS a dps gain if you do it correctly. its just not advice i would give someone whos already having issues with his dps.
    The only time you can do it effectively is between blood thirsts if you dont have a slam proc and its a lot to deal with if your already having issues with your dps.

Also. Berserker rage is on the GCD so thats another 1.5 seconds you have to wait to use blood thirst again.

While landsoul does say its a dps increase, even he says its not a very good idea for new players. You could very easily hurt your dps more then it helps. I think any respectable fury warrior would agree with me here.

And just for example. my max dps goes up by about 80 if i use rend in my rotation.

EDIT: also, as far as i can tell (your prot ATM and have on a sword and shield) your arnt ArP capped with your trinket. youre going to want to be at 53%
    Last edited by squats; 01-09-2010 at 12:15 PM.

Icewalker is a bigger dps increase than 32 AP to boots, even if you're hit capped.
    You can drop almost 100 hit rating for better stats.

Make sure you are spamming HS. Festergut has a lot of AOE damage going on, so you can afford to spam it.

squats, i said in my first post that it takes practice to execute correctly, so i assumed people would realize that for a new warrior you would have to work on it.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

Thanks for the comments guys. I manage to use therotation posted in the fury guide to maximize WW usage and did a bit better on the charts. On the fight where we actually downed festergut I actually did 8.5k DPS, for some reason unknown to me.

I have the 2 reports here:

Try 4, 5:04 hit enrage timer.

Successful attempt, 4:50

On try 4 I only did 7k DPS whereas in our successful attempt I had 8.5, almost 8.6k. I'm looking at the damage done by spell and I'm not really seeing other than more heroic strikes and slightly more damage on all of my attacks.

I can't figure out what is causing the discrepancy in the actual damage of all the attacks other than an enhancement shaman; but we already had a frost DK and blood DK providing haste and 10% AP.

Anyone care to hazard a guess?

Unless WoL is bugging out (seems very likely) you have 100% uptime on abominable might on try 5 and 0% on try 5. Which if true just means extreme range...

Of course WoL is also saying you didn't have Chill of the Throne on try 4 so I don't believe WoL is working that well...

It could be extreme RNG. A streak of unlucky misses or no crits can mess up your damage quite a bit. Flurry falling off is also quite painful.

I did 7100dps on my festergut kill - the odd thing is every one of my abilities hit harder on average than yours. Your deep wounds on the other hand did a lot more than mine. 84% of your white swings CRIT! Wow. This is me: World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis

Quote Originally Posted by Phillycheese View Post
    Anyone care to hazard a guess?
    I don't know much about how rogue abilities break down depending on spec but it doesn't look like you had a 4% physical damage debuff on the boss. this isn't what caused the difference in DPS, but it is a decently important debuff to have.

you definitely got kinda lucky on the RNG I think, and deep wounds was what caused the discrepency.

on try 4 you had an average tick of 1582.7
    on your kill attempt your average tick was 2769.9

even after factoring in not having 100% uptime that's still like a 1000 DPS increase right there, not to mention all of the extra damage from the crits themselves.

also for those curious here's my guilds parse (it's the same kill that I used for my guide if that matters)
    World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis

|TGM UI |Fury Warrior Guide | How To Use Landsoul's Spreadsheet| The Numbers Game |
    "I am an elitist; I will never accept mediocrity and I openly show no respect for stupidity"

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreatme View Post
    I don't know much about how rogue abilities break down depending on spec but it doesn't look like you had a 4% physical damage debuff on the boss. this isn't what caused the difference in DPS, but it is a decently important debuff to have.
    combat rogues (savage combat) and arms warriors (blood frenzy) have that buff. good luck finding a combat rogue these days after most of them went mut.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

+ Reply to Thread