+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 70s epics tanking 80s

70s epics tanking 80s

i just hit 80 with my paladin and i am eager to start tanking woltk hcs. is it possible to do that with tbc epic gear? i do have def cap but all other stats are quite low. thx for the response

Quote Originally Posted by mardok View Post
    i just hit 80 with my paladin and i am eager to start tanking woltk hcs. is it possible to do that with tbc epic gear? i do have def cap but all other stats are quite low. thx for the response
    The first hundred or so guilds that cleared Naxx, Malygos and Sartharion did it in Tier 6 and Sunwell gear. To answer your question, yes you can do heroics in high-level 70 epics, I wouldn't step in with tier 4, but if you raided BT you should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Just get the Saronite crafted gear made. Or read one of the (many) guides on gearing a fresh 80.

A little birdie told me once that T6 = lvl 80 blues. But the stat balance on T6 is better than, or at least comparable to, 80 blues.

Point is, assuming the guy is talking About T6, it may not be that much of an improvement, if at all.

If he meant just any lvl 70 epics, well then yeah, crafted gear time, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashal View Post
    A little birdie told me once that T6 = lvl 80 blues. But the stat balance on T6 is better than, or at least comparable to, 80 blues.

Point is, assuming the guy is talking About T6, it may not be that much of an improvement, if at all.

If he meant just any lvl 70 epics, well then yeah, crafted gear time, for sure.

Hmm - I thought I read that by the time you hit 77, the blues for that level could replace t6.

Anyone got clarification on this?

Having said that, in late 08 I remember doing Naxx with healers in sunwell gear, and it went fine.

I tanked heroics with epics in Destroyer (tier 5) and some random blues... but those were just some minor stam boosts over my other items.
    “We all have great inner power. The power is self-faith. There's really an attitude to winning. You have to see yourself winning before you win. And you have to be hungry. You have to want to conquer.” ~Arnold Schwarzeneggar.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPaulie View Post
    Hmm - I thought I read that by the time you hit 77, the blues for that level could replace t6.
    To be more specific, I was told "roughly equivalent". I'm sure its possible that lvl 77 blues have more itemization points to play with, but from what I saw, it wasn't by a whole lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashal View Post
    To be more specific, I was told "roughly equivalent". I'm sure its possible that lvl 77 blues have more itemization points to play with, but from what I saw, it wasn't by a whole lot.
    Those blues probably had no gem slots and perfect solid chalcedony are what 21 stam? I regemmed my t6 and profited. I'll admit I did replace most of my kit prior to 80, but that's not to say it's impossible. Ensidia cleared all 3 initial raids in Sunwell/BT gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    Those blues probably had no gem slots and perfect solid chalcedony are what 21 stam?
    Thank you, I thought I was forgetting something, and that's what it was.

The only problem I encountered with level 70 epics (even high end) was that I lacked enough defense to hit the minimum for heroics. Not that you need to be crit immune to do heroics, but it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzlestick View Post
    The only problem I encountered with level 70 epics (even high end) was that I lacked enough defense to hit the minimum for heroics. Not that you need to be crit immune to do heroics, but it helps.
    The good news is the higher end 70 epics had 2-3 gem slots in most pieces, allowing you plenty of customization options.

I tanked hardmode Sarth in half Sunwell pieces, Guardian Spirit is amazing for that. What you want to change the most from old gear is the shield and weapon. Those pieces really are good itemised so it wasn't to bad.

You'll endup at about 25k hp or so though so noone will want to group with you. And that's fully buffed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharr View Post
    You'll endup at about 25k hp or so though so noone will want to group with you. And that's fully buffed.
    Now, yes. But in week 1 that was better than being heroic-geared until the first guilds headed into naxx.

+ Reply to Thread