+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tanking Gems, need some advice

Tanking Gems, need some advice

I've had a really good look around multiple different websites mainly here and found some really useful information with defense dodge and parry and 'the optimal balance' etc. I've always favoured having plenty of avoidence as a opposed to lots of stamina which i see lots of tanks with and they do appear to be much harder to heal, large health pool or not.

My gear is mediocre about 4.4 with the gearscore addon and so far i had worked on the theory that using Enduring eye of zul (10 def + 15stam) was giving me the most avoidence for a gem, unfortunately i had not factored in the DR of the mitigation stats so in light of that i presume initially and up to a certain value the defense-stam gems will give higher mitigation (including chance to miss + chance to dodge parry block, although block may be irrelevent to consider here). As the DR begins to savagely reduce the defense gain i imagine that gemming for dodge and parry invidiually and maintaining the optimum balance will surpass it. Is there a way for me to work out where this tilt point is or has it already been calculated/could some kind person calculate it for me?

EDIT: is there even a tilt point or am i completely missing whats going on here?

Thanks in advance and while i welcome advice on gemming for stamina please dont flame this thread with "OMG GEM FOR STAM YOU GET MOAR HP!!"

lodimas

In looking at the best tanks in the current ICC progression, it looks like gemming for straight stamina is the most favored avenue of gemming (with one or two red half dodge/half stamina gems on the item w/ the best socket bonuses for the meta gem req.) In the TotC progression, using yellow half stam/half def rating for socket bonuses was the trend, but it appears even the best tanks are stacking stamina in nearly all sockets now...

because you get moar hp!!

What Biden said, you should gem all stamina unless the socket bonus is 9 stamina or higher. The reason to do this is because of the way encounters are designed. Almost every tank death will be caused by being burst down with in a few seconds usually with a fair bit of unavoidable damage in it.

Seems like blizz already figured this out... in top end progression gear all your socket bonuses will be stamina, and I don't favor pure stam gemming on red and yellow sockets, though I would do it if I had a socketed weapon with some stat I don't care about on the socket bonus.

There is a really good thread on here somewhere with a table that will compare the relative values of dodge and parry to show you which stat will buy the most avoidance, given the DR of each. The important thing to remember is that parry hits DR about twice as fast as dodge so the stacking will almost allways favor dodge over parry (odds are low that you are so far into the dodge DR that parry will be better).

I gem as follows: Blue sockets are strait stam, Red sockets are expertise/stam (up to 26 expertise), or agil/stam (but dodge stam is acceptable in place of agil/stam), Yellow sockets are Hit/Stam (up to seven percent hit, in current gear I need to replace a couple of these but just haven't gotten around to it yet since getting the reputation ring and the crafted tank boots). After that Def/stam for yellow.

I have looked at this many different ways, and in ToC or better epics the above formulas appear optimal. I tank on a DK, but the stat priorities for a Warrior are simillar enough that I assume it will serve you well also.

Myself i go for straight stam atm. Reason being is the Chill of the Throne debuff in ICC. (20% reduced dodge) Ive seen a few stacking up some block, others stacking parry, but most i see are stacking straight stam.

Chill of the Throne has zero effect on the DR values behind avoidance stacking. Parry still hits DR twice as fast as dodge, and you still buy more avoidance with dodge then with parry.

Its not 20 percent of your dodge.. its just a flat 20 percent off the top of dodge, and it does not make parry stacking a good idea, unless you already have a rediculous amount of dodge on your gear relative to parry... the parry stacking is still a very bad idea (gems with parry on them are the most useless tank gems in the game and I don't even buy the patterns for them) It does have a highly technical affect on the relative return of more avoidance in general, but given the balancing of damage output in fights in ICC generally, getting more avoidance is, if anything, a better idea in ICC then it was in ToC.

thanks for your advice guys id just like to point out that im not anywhere near raiding ICC on my tank yet im mainly spamming heroics and looking to start up toc very soon and so far the avoidence seems to be working at the minute as i dont take very much damage i imagine as i progress into 25's and into ICC effective health will outweigh it. thanks for your input anyway

lodimas

+ Reply to Thread