+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fellow tank getting two shotted in ICC25

Fellow tank getting two shotted in ICC25

We had our first guild attempt in ICC25 yesterday and got completely stuck on marrowgard. Apart from some issues with the ranged not switching to spikes fast enough we also had (in my oppinion) too many tank deaths.

The three tanks we used were: Me, a bear (about the same level of gear as me) and another DK with only ~42.5k hp buffed.

My question is fairly simple, do we need to wait until he has collected a bit more gear before we should try again? I believe I saw him getting two shotted a few times, with the inevitable deaths of the two of us as well. We had three tank healers for this but it didnt seem to matter.

Each hit that Marrowgar dishes out hits for about 15-18k in 25m. That means your other tank can only survive three hits without healing. If he happens to pull threat over the two of you, he'll be getting hit with the melee + sabre lash, and there's no way he's going to be able to survive that.

He needs more HP. In ICC25, I'd fully expect a DK tank to be geared out in mostly 245 Triumph and ToC25 loot with at least 38-40k unbuffed HP. Going into ICC25 with mostly ToC10 gear or less isn't going to be pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekz08 View Post
    Each hit that Marrowgar dishes out hits for about 15-18k in 25m. That means your other tank can only survive three hits without healing. If he happens to pull threat over the two of you, he'll be getting hit with the melee + sabre lash, and there's no way he's going to be able to survive that.

He needs more HP. In ICC25, I'd fully expect a DK tank to be geared out in mostly 245 Triumph and ToC25 loot with at least 38-40k unbuffed HP. Going into ICC25 with mostly ToC10 gear or less isn't going to be pretty.
    Yeah I suspected as much. I dont think he got aggro many times, and if so it wasnt for long but still. We might have to postpone our attempts after tonight until he or another tank has geared up enough. Switching back to ToC is probably our best bet anyway with so many of the dps being able to get upgrades there also. Still it hurts a bit to not being able to try ICC25 when the ICC10 runs go so smothly.

I started in ICC25 around the same HP as the DK you mentioned. We had a disc priest ensure I was his primary focus and even though I was frost, I just kept up my diseases and death striked for the healing. Since I wasn't MT, agro didn't matter. I would use unbreakable armor and/or icebound fortitude after each of his whirlwind waves to lighten up the load as much as possible. I don't know why he wouldn't be, but definately ensure he's flasked. We run with 7 healers on that fight.
    Last edited by Deoreus; 01-07-2010 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Fixed a typo.
    Proud king of being one-shotted by a wet paper bag.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm getting really down on healers, and people in general, complaining about tanks taking "too much damage." Patch hit for 15k and no one had an issue and none of us were 40k unbuffed health. The real issue, IMHO, is that some healers (by no means all) are not up to the task; some are lazy, they don't know how to anticiapte damage or they don't pay attention - "oh, I clicked on Healbot, what more do I have to do?".

As a tank, I'm asked to be a meat shield and hold aggro, that's my job, that's what I do; if I don't do it, I get crap. The current mentality seems to be that if I die doing my job, it's my fault, not the healers'. If a healer is assigned to me he/she should heal me - that's their job; don't heal the raid, don't heal the off tank, don't heal the other healers, heal me, do it or if you can't, say so, and we'll replace. There is no reason a tank should take repeated 20k shots in a row without a heal - that just equals poor healing, not an undergeared tank.

To go a step further,there really seems to be this idea that DK's are squishy or can't take punishment -that's just bull and a PuG "heard it on the WoW forums" menality. I'll go toe to toe with any equally geared, Pally, Warrior, or Driud with a competent healer and hold up just as well if not better and do it in Frost spec.

Enough is enough, really.

Indeed, I agree with what most people have said so far. With Death Knights mostly relying on health and armor for survival, he will need much better gear before tanking these fights. Of course, my opinion is that no Death Knight should ever be tanking in there unles they have excellent gear and means of surviving.

+ Reply to Thread