+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warrior Tank needing a once over

Warrior Tank needing a once over

Hey all, Any chance someone can give me the once over to make sure I am going in the right direction with my tank please?

Karnock

Thanks in advance!

Looks good to me, keep going, Only advice I have is you dont need all 5 pieces of the set, 4 pieces are good. The 75 triumph helm is way better, I am horde so not sure of alliance version but I think the link below is correct.

Faceplate of the Honorbound - Item - World of Warcraft
    Last edited by gabbu; 01-07-2010 at 06:03 AM.

I just have a few comments on your choice of gems.
    8str/8def in your helm is not a good choice. Get 12sta/8def if you want to keep the socket bonus.
    Try to get pure stamina gems and ignore most socket bonuses basically only the +9sta or +12sta socket bonuses are worth it, and especially in your belt's prismatic socket you should get a pure stamina gem.

Cheers for the advice guys, Changed gems too

Ok, Helm upgraded, gems changed. Anything else? I signed up for my guilds ICC run and got told me gear wasn't good enough. Is this true are are they talking shite?

Quote Originally Posted by shaun2312 View Post
    Ok, Helm upgraded, gems changed. Anything else? I signed up for my guilds ICC run and got told me gear wasn't good enough. Is this true are are they talking shite?
    Well first things first, you REALLY need to change to all epic gems, you're missing out on a decent amount of stam using those rare gems.

Change your chest enchant to +275 hp, your cloak to +225 armor, get the 30 stam/15 resil pvp shoulder enchant (only 10k honor, easy to get), +18 stam or +240 armor to gloves unless you REALLY are having threat problems, and you can switch your shield enchant to 18 stam.

The only glaring piece of gear I see is your shield, which I know shields aren't the easiest thing to come by but theres a nice one from 10 and 25 ToC and you should be able to pug those raids if your guild doesn't run it. You could also use the stam trinket from 25 ToC off FC because that brewfest trinket is pretty horrible compared to about every other stam trinket right now.

Also, never ever ever put a hybrid gem in your belt if the only socket is a prismatic one (ie. you used a belt buckle to get the socket) as you have no bonus to gain and that should be a straight up +30 stam.

If you switch all your enchants/gems around though you should see a good few hundred hit point boost.

Also after looking...your spec seems a little whack. I don't really understand going so far into fury to get improved cleave as that's really only viable on trash it would seem and maybe a gimmick fight here and there. Here's a few other things you could change in your spec.

- 5/5 cruelty is kind of a waste to be honest
    - You have 0/2 in Damage Shield, that should be 2/2 for a passive threat boost.
    - You only have 5 points in Arms. You should take 10 of those points out of fury (leave only 3/3 armored to the teeth) and put them into arms. Get 3/3 improved heroic strike, 5/5 deflection, 2/2 improved charge, 2/2 impale and 3/3 deep wounds. This will benefit you MUCH more than all those wasted points in fury.
    - Take that 1 point out of improved bloodrage, it's not a needed talent
    - 5/5 shield spec is also kind of wasted points, usually 2/5 is fine for that talent. I'd recommend taking 3 out of shield spec and the 1 point out of improved bloodrage and put 2 into damage shield and 2 into improved disciplines for better survivability (you'll need it in icc).
    - Drop glyph of cleaving for glyph of shieldwall and you'll have yourself a nice 2 min shield wall which comes in handy (i personally dropped blocking too for last stand but that's personal preference)

Here is a link to my spec to give you a guideline on point allocation and glyphing
    The World of Warcraft Armory - Dekar @ Shattered Hand - Talents

Obviously there will always be a debate on a few points here and there but that spec is pretty much the concensus of most people that I've read.

Hope this helps =D

The reason for the dodgy spec is because I did Zombiefest the other day and didn't want to block - dmg them as that would start the counter.

Just slacking on putting it back to normal as I was seeing how the cleaving was going in HC's - Seeing as my guild won't let me tank lol.

thanks for the advise and I will get as much changed over asap as I can

If you're going to be heading into ICC any time soon I'd certainly recommend resocketting for pure stamina, taking only a 12 or 9 stamina bonus to get your purple gem for the meta requirement.

These are rather more minor things I guess, but I'd also recommend 18 stamina on shield instead of def and take 275 health on chest instead of 10 stats.

The reason for the dodgy spec is because I did Zombiefest the other day and didn't want to block - dmg them as that would start the counter.

Just slacking on putting it back to normal as I was seeing how the cleaving was going in HC's - Seeing as my guild won't let me tank lol.

thanks for the advise and I will get as much changed over asap as I can
    FYI you can remove your shield to prevent Damage shield from proccing. Well at least you could, if this has changed feel free to point out my error.
    Last edited by Katatonic; 01-14-2010 at 08:22 AM.

I did try that one day last week but took a fair bit of dmg, so as to not waste the try i was swap those two points out

I think in general, Dekar's post about covers it, you need to spend more time on your gear. And really, the biggest gripe is the way you gem/enchant stuff, especially the use of non-epic gems.

The only thing I would add gemwise is to not use def/stam gems in yellow sockets, you are at 565 defense (you only need 540). If you are going for socket bonus, use hit/stam up to 263 hit rating.

Use blade ward/mongoose/blood draining/etc. on your weapon.

The way I've been told is 540 is needed, more isn't bad. Defence is more parry, dodge etc.

Am I wrong in thinking that?

The way I've been told is 540 is needed, more isn't bad. Defence is more parry, dodge etc.

Am I wrong in thinking that?
    This is correct, absolutely nothing wrong with having more than 540 defense. However, it isn't a stat you specifically go for after the "cap". You gain it through passive gear collection.
    Former Hardcore Raider, Officer, Guild Master and Tank.

Ok, thanks - Might get on my warrior tonight as I have 60 frost emblems now, Any idea which item I should purchase first?

Nope there is nothing wrong with using def/stam gems, however (I didnt look at the armory seeing as I am at work) if your hit is fairly low I would use hit/stam gems.

214 hit atm

then I wouldnt worry about it, def/stam is fine. I try to keep my hit around 200 or so.

cheers bud

First, upgrade all gems to epic.

-Get rid of all socket bonuses except 1 red/blue gem to get a 9/12 stam bonus and activate meta.
    -Enchant shield with 18 stamina
    -Hands with 18 stamina or 240 armor
    -Chest 275 health
    -Back 240 armor
    -Shoulders 30stam/15 resil
    -Spec The World of Warcraft Armory

Glyphs- Deva, blocking, shield wall, switch in taunt for sensitive fights, minors: Tclap, charge, command.

Edit: don't ever gem for hit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Win! thanks!

Any advice on my first emblem of frost purchase?

Personally i would get the cloak for first frost badge piece. You gain 64 stam for another ~700 hps and 550 or so armor for even more effective health.

As far as some of your other gear dont forget to look at the reputation ring. Dont know about other servers but on mine there are constant icc rep farming pugs and it only takes an hour for the friendly version and another two for the honored ring. Also you might want to look into the crafted tanking boots ilvl 264. They would be a bit of an upgrade if you have the funds to support it. They dont have any defense on them but you can afford to lose it at the gain of dodge parry and hps.

Outside of that get your gems upgraded, get your spec back to 15/3/53 and pug a Toc 10/25 for a shield. The one from Stratholme makes my head hurt.

Good Luck

+ Reply to Thread