+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Icecrown Putricide

We ran into a problem last night on 25-man, as offtank controlling the abomination I noticed sometimes the Volatile Ooze kept resetting and choosing different targets a few times in a row, I recall this happening mostly after a phase transition (80%), its really annoying because I try to slow it down just before the debuff casting time ends so if it resets 2-3 times after we lose valuable time from the slowing debuff. Can anyone confirm this happening or tell me why it happens? I did spam the third ability trying to get 5 stacks up and dpsing it before I slowed this but that shouldnt interrupt/reset the casting right?
    My final solution was to wait for it to start moving but thats not ideal either because you'll lose some time this way as well.

Excellent movie as always! ->(Rotface 10man-version). And always nice to see the videos from a healers point of wiew, since I'm a resto shaman myself. My guild just downed everything until festergut last fight with several tries on Rotface in 10-man. It's awesome to have a glimpse of the fight before reaching there, which we hopefully will soon.

Some questions though:

1) The ensnare from the Volatile oozes, are they possible to dispel and after that kiting em?

2) I didn't really get the mechanics about the gas clouds. When they spawn a random member will get 10 stacks, then 9, then 8 etc? until the stack is gone? or until 20 seconds have passed and they switch to another target? Is it better to kite the gas cloud while the dps nukes it to prevent it from reaching you, or should you remain your position? So the main thing is to actually kill it before 20 seconds have passed to prevent him from switching to another target?

3) Will the Volatile oozes and the gas clouds spawn at the same time, or 1 each time?

4) Are the gas bombs and the malleable goo easy to locate, and do you need to be very very fast to move away from it during the travel time?

Sorry for all the questions but those 4 just poped up in my head. Also your english is really really good, I was a bit suprised that you are from Germany tbh
    No offence at all in that statement, totally the opposite
    Last edited by Satyra; 01-13-2010 at 10:41 AM.
    | "Like bringing a knife, into a gunfight" |
    ..Satyra, for president.

1) The ensnare from the Volatile oozes, are they possible to dispel and after that kiting em?
    No
    2) I didn't really get the mechanics about the gas clouds. When they spawn a random member will get 10 stacks, then 9, then 8 etc? until the stack is gone? or until 20 seconds have passed and they switch to another target? Is it better to kite the gas cloud while the dps nukes it to prevent it from reaching you, or should you remain your position? So the main thing is to actually kill it before 20 seconds have passed to prevent him from switching to another target?
    when the gas cloud picks a target, that palyer gets a 10 stack, and every time the debuff ticks, one stack is removed, the debuff ticks every 2 seconds so after 20 seconds the stack is gone, and it will pick a new target. you want the gas cloud to be dead before it picks that new target. as for kiting vs simply remaining in position is completely dependant on your DPS, if your DPS can kill it before the cloud reaches its target, then you don't really need to kite, but that means your DPS have to be really on the ball, because if they fail, the focus is going to be cornered and will get hit (as the best place for the focused person to be if they aren't kiting it is in the north corner).

Are the gas bombs and the malleable goo easy to locate, and do you need to be very very fast to move away from it during the travel time?
    the maleable goo is very obvious, just make sure your ranged are strafing, and not running forward/back, the total travel time is about the same as the travel time for shadow crash

the gas bombs are pretty obvious, but the big issue with them is when they spawn, because if it lands directly behind him melee have ~1 second to get out of it's animation before the first pulse of the debuff. avoiding the explosion is easy because they are pretty easy to see and most of the time the tank has to move the boss to the other side anyway shortly after they spawn so no one should be near it.
    Last edited by Thegreatme; 01-13-2010 at 10:31 AM.

|TGM UI |Fury Warrior Guide | How To Use Landsoul's Spreadsheet| The Numbers Game |
    "I am an elitist; I will never accept mediocrity and I openly show no respect for stupidity"

Were having problems balancing our DPS. Granted, we has 3 tanks, 8 melee 6 heals and ranged.

For one, the ooze isnt dying before it explodes, which tells me everyone needs to help with ooze. We has all ranged on it, warlocks/hunters/mages int he front line starting asap, others join as its in range

While having the melee repeat this: DPS boss, ooze comes out, continue on boss until ooze picks a target, help with ooze, back on boss

Our melees are averaging about 4-5K dps instead of the 8-10K they do on festergut. They spend more time running around the room (and getting thrown by exploding adds) than they are DPSing. Possibly a position and tanking location issue. We have him more at the front of the room near his table, to give range plenty of room to avoid malleable goo. When we started with the boss dead left in the orange, or ranged were getting caked with the goo because their so close to the boss.
    Last edited by Yamahasport; 01-14-2010 at 10:27 AM.

Thanks a ton guys for the advice, we ended up getting him down last night on just our 2nd attempt of the week. With the positioning changes we were able to get him to phase 3 on our first try last night after the change, and even got him to 7% before losing a tank! =]

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

i'm a bit confused with the stacks on tanks, so how that thing works?
    The boss gets healed when the stack runs off the tank HE IS tanking at that point or a debuff on ANY tank wether he is tanking or not?
    If is the latest then when you do a 4-4 in 10m then 5-5 means the 1st tank taunts when the 2nd has 4 and then the 2nd taunts back when the 1st tank gets the 5th stack, all this w/o a stack running off. If is like that isnt the raid dmg very high at that point? Because every tank debuff adds to the total raid dmg right?
    When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity. - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Daimon View Post
    i'm a bit confused with the stacks on tanks, so how that thing works?
    The boss gets healed when the stack runs off the tank HE IS tanking at that point or a debuff on ANY tank wether he is tanking or not?
    If is the latest then when you do a 4-4 in 10m then 5-5 means the 1st tank taunts when the 2nd has 4 and then the 2nd taunts back when the 1st tank gets the 5th stack, all this w/o a stack running off. If is like that isnt the raid dmg very high at that point? Because every tank debuff adds to the total raid dmg right?
    The phase III tank debuff lasts 60 seconds, and is cast by Putricide every 10 seconds on the player who is currently tanking. This means it will refresh the duration if you currently have it.

*Every stack deals exponentially higher damage to the raid. You risk one-shotting the entire raid at 6 stacks on one tank, but three tanks at 4 stacks is not bad.
    *If the debuff expires for any reason (runs out of time, the player with the debuff dies, etc) then Putricide is healed for several million health. It doesn't matter what you're doing when the debuff fades, he gets the health.

The solution, then, is to be sure the debuff does not expire on any of your tanks, but is spread evenly to buy as much time as possible before someone hits 5. The rotations discussed (2-2-1, 1-1-3, 1-1-WIPE) are based around these goals.

-Splug

weird, in last nights 10 man, when we downed him, one of our tanks died and we didn't notice him regaining health, in fact our tank died, we brezed, and because he no longer had any stacks, the healers had a very easy time the last 5% keeping everyone up since i was only at 3, and he was at 2

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    weird, in last nights 10 man, when we downed him, one of our tanks died and we didn't notice him regaining health, in fact our tank died, we brezed, and because he no longer had any stacks, the healers had a very easy time the last 5% keeping everyone up since i was only at 3, and he was at 2
    Check your logs, it probably happened. Some examples from a 25-man wipe last night (10%, so...damn...close!)

[00:02:46.561] Tokk dies
    [00:02:46.566] Tokk Mutated Plague Professor Putricide +3400000
    [00:02:51.359] Viatikom dies
    [00:02:51.377] Viatikom Mutated Plague Professor Putricide +8500000
    [00:02:55.388] Penne dies
    [00:02:55.397] Penne Mutated Plague Professor Putricide +6800000

hrm, unfortunately, we don't log our 10 mans much, i'll see if our healer did it that night and we'll check, it's possible, he was dying so fast in execute range that we didn't notice =P

I'm having trouble finding some information on this. I'm trying to find the timers for each ability. How often Putricide casts Mal Goo, how often he casts the expanding pools, how often he casts choking bombs, etc. If anyone has this detailed information, or can link me to a site with this information, I'd greatly appreciate it. I could get the info by watching the DBM timers during an encounter, but that would be a distraction and I'd rather not be the cause of a wasted attempt because of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Splug View Post
    The phase III tank debuff lasts 60 seconds, and is cast by Putricide every 10 seconds on the player who is currently tanking. This means it will refresh the duration if you currently have it.

*Every stack deals exponentially higher damage to the raid. You risk one-shotting the entire raid at 6 stacks on one tank, but three tanks at 4 stacks is not bad.
    *If the debuff expires for any reason (runs out of time, the player with the debuff dies, etc) then Putricide is healed for several million health. It doesn't matter what you're doing when the debuff fades, he gets the health.

The solution, then, is to be sure the debuff does not expire on any of your tanks, but is spread evenly to buy as much time as possible before someone hits 5. The rotations discussed (2-2-1, 1-1-3, 1-1-WIPE) are based around these goals.

-Splug
    ^ This

I believe the stacks work like this.

1 Stack - 200
    2 Stack - 400
    3 Stack - 800
    4 Stack - 1600
    5 Stack - 3200

Based on this, you have 8 stacks that are allocated between 2 or 3 tanks.

With 2 tanks the damage is like this

Tank 1 - 4 stacks (1,600)
    Tank 2 - 4 stack (1,600)

Total 3,200

For three tanks:

Tank 1 - 3 stacks (800)
    Tank 2 - 3 stacks (800)
    Tank 3 - 2 stacks (400)

Total - 2,000

Also, you dont want to stack 4 up right away and then switch. The best to is to go 1 at a time (although this could be difficult).

We got 25 man to 9% a few days ago and had real problems with melee getting the hit debuff and not pulling deeps. Now that we have that sorted out, I expect to get him this week. We will go with three tanks 2/2/2, 1/1/1, 1/1/1.
    Deeps for show..... tank for dough.....

If this was meant to be an answer to my question, none of the information I am seeking is on this site. I've skimmed over wowwiki multiple times. I'm trying to find out the CDs for these abilities, not the cast times or what they do. If this info isn't online somewhere I'll just have to get it from DBM during an attempt. =( Oh well. Wish DBM had this info posted up somewhere.

Has anyone had any success with the "table strategy" and could give more details about it?

My understanding of it is that you have the boss tanked so that he's facing towards the center of the room just in front of where the green ooze spawns. This allows all melee to instantly switch to the green ooze the moment it spawns. Since we run with 8 melee and a third offtank and 5 pets (3 hunters, 2 warlocks), we were thinking of trying this strategy out. All the melee would take ~ 11k damage from the blast if it goes off on melee. We could add a resto druid there too if needed.

We're thinking about trying this out tonight, but all we have are words and are hoping to see a video or something. Where exactly are the ranged supposed to stand? I've assumed to this point that it's near the table, but don't have any solid evidence of that.

we haven't had luck on PP yet but those stacking strats start affecting when you get into phase 2 and the tank needs to start kitting the boss because of the bombs, the dps must be fast enough to reach the adds in time.
    When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity. - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    we're running resto druid+holy pally and whenever we have to move him heals slow down (pally obviously has to move = stop casting), and either i dip low, or someone dies. We were doing okay on our last attempt and got him to 49% or so, but things were getting hectic in terms of the oozes. Any ideas for positioning that might make it easier?

I'm basically tanking him opposite from side he's gonna summon an experiment, and move him next to oozes that the abom is on so he can eat+melee/debuff at the same time.
    This is primarily from 10-man - we tanked Putricide whole P1 and P2 just next to his experiment table. Ranged was positioned so that they could start nuking the experiments the moment they spawned. Melee (we didn't have many) joined in as soon as the target was selected. This strat simplified the fight (for us at least) hugely and it allowed the Slime Pools to appear near the boss & raid, thus allowing the Abomination to eat slime and DPS the boss at the same time. We pushed him to P2 without Gas Cloud spawning, and phase change DEFINITELY resets the Experiment-timer somehow as everytime we got a clean transition to P2 after killing Volatile Ooze, it took literally ages in P2 for him to cast his next experiment, giving us ample time to unload DPS to him.

When he dropped Gas Bombs, tank just moved the boss 10 yards or so and back again. There was minimal movement involved. At least this was something that worked best for us. Most of the raid was always within Chain Heal range and that was a huge boost to our resto shammys output.

When he was nearing 40%, we called stop for DPS, waited for experiment and nuked it down while the tank moved Putricide to the door you come into his room and pushed him into P3. This way we got few extra seconds to nuke him before he applied the first Mutated Plague debuff to the tank as he had to run from the table to the tank and applying the first debuff took few more seconds. We finally killed him today with 2 tries left. :P Had like 5 or so 3-4% wipes due to either transition cockups or personal tank cockups (cough, I did move him away from the gas bombs... oh wait).

Fun fight!
    Last edited by agranyoch; 01-20-2010 at 07:42 PM.

Can some1 tell me please what addon does priest use in YouTube - TankSpot's Guide to Icecrown Putricide (10-man) movie?
    Its about him Grid and it shows CoH and PoM icon when CoH and PoM are available, and hides them when spess are on cd.

question

What do you guys use to record your fights? thanks

Re:

After really enjoying this fight, I'm now utterly sick of it. We had an excruciatingly rough ride with the RNG last night; people getting rooted by the green slime and then picked for an ooze puddle or gas canisters, malleable goo hitting (and killing) a healer in mid-air after the green slime explosion and all sorts of other things went wrong that you simply can't do anything about. The one time a person DC'd? You guessed it - the orange goo chose him. Unbelievable.

But the thing that's really ticking me off is that on the last seven/eight attempts we just could not get to phase three without either of the oozes up. No matter how well we tried to time it, he would just about finish casting Unstable Experiment and it was Tear Gas time. With no abomination available, there's practically nothing you can do to stop it wiping you if it's the orange one, or ruining your management of tank stacks if it's a green one.

I don't know what I'm supposed to say to a raid that has performed pretty much perfectly, only to get wiped by something that they just can't do anything about on a boss with limited attempts.

After really liking the tuning, I'm now horribly disheartened with this.

Are we doing something fundamentally wrong or is anyone else having a similar problem? If so, how are you supposed to be getting round it?
    Unwavering Sentinel: Tales of a Protection Warrior Running Wild.
    http://unwaveringsentinel.blogspot.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread