+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Burst threat with...Mocking Blow? Strange but true!

Lately I've tried a couple of times to use mocking blow just before the end of marrowgar's bonestorm and it appeared that the fixate lasted across the agro reset. It's hard to be sure, as I was of course using other means to try to get threat and probably getting misdirects too, but is this my imagination or not?

Quote Originally Posted by swelt View Post
    Lately I've tried a couple of times to use mocking blow just before the end of marrowgar's bonestorm and it appeared that the fixate lasted across the agro reset. It's hard to be sure, as I was of course using other means to try to get threat and probably getting misdirects too, but is this my imagination or not?
    The mocking blow debuff doesn't have anything to do with the threat table really, it just makes the mobs focus on you for 6 seconds.
    Much like challenging shout does.

Yep, fixates have no connection to the threat table at all. So it should stay even at the aggro table resets.

The taunt debuff also persists through the end of Bonestorm and its associated aggro drop.

That's the fixate debuff for taunt. If you cast it before the drop, then you will lose your aggro after the drop, but the fixate portion will force him on you for a few seconds.

OK, that's what I figured, I just wasn't sure whether agro resets would normal drop such fixates. The 6 second fixate of mocking blow compared to the 3 second taunt debuff makes it quite nice for that specific encounter, as the bonestorm duration seems to fluctuate a bit.

I tested this last night, with both glyphs and it generally gave me 20k threat instantly, it might gone higher a few times, but I just paid most attention to the first #, so for example if I had 20,000-something threat on initial pull, the mocking blow would throw me up to 40k-aroundish.

I am not sure of its full potential yet as I just started testing it. What I found was weird (on my end) is even though with the burst to threat, my TPS didin't really jump any when I do it. I kind of expected to see it spike up at least for a second :P

My tps on Omen spikes like a mother when I hit it.

Seems like this would be really useful for Deathwhisper. That's really the only fight where I have to tell my DPS to be careful because of the threat debuff. Popping it right as you pick her up (ie when you have zero stacks) would add a healthy buffer to an otherwise threat sensitive fight.

I could also see it being useful for Festergut to give the offtank some breathing room to use their enhanced damage buff after a tank swap.

Quote Originally Posted by mistersix View Post
    My tps on Omen spikes like a mother when I hit it.
    Are you sure Omen shows TPS? I thought it only shows the current threat values.

Shows current tps and current threat overall.

the tps is flawed though, it doesn't keep a running log of your total threat / time in combat like parsers do. What it does is take something like, the last X amount of seconds in combat, and take that threat and divide it by that time, so it's possible to go from a steady 8k tps, then chain crit a lot of your abilities and it'll say your TPS is 20k, obviously it isn't, but for that window, it was something absurd.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

True. However that's not as useless as one might think given encounters with heavy target swapping or tank switching. The full combat parsers don't take into account that sort of dynamic well either. Xav built one awhile back that was handy but was out of game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    the tps is flawed though, it doesn't keep a running log of your total threat / time in combat like parsers do. What it does is take something like, the last X amount of seconds in combat, and take that threat and divide it by that time, so it's possible to go from a steady 8k tps, then chain crit a lot of your abilities and it'll say your TPS is 20k, obviously it isn't, but for that window, it was something absurd.
    Yep. I was thinking the same thing. I am still sporting the mocking blow when it is best applied, and I am satisfied with the results. Overall, I don't think threat is a huge issue, but it is nice not having to have a rogue tricks me or a hunter MD on pulls, by me using mocking blow effectively.
    "Listen to your heart, but follow your mind."

[ Sarvoth | Prot Warrior since Beta Phase 1 | Elysian - Khaz'Goroth ]

Rogues I run with tend to tricks each other or other dps before the tank. I blame EJ for this behavior. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Kojiyama View Post
    As mad as it sounds... I'm toying with the idea of making a macro to Mocking Blow + Weapon Swap (back to 1h + Shield) after a Charge so that I can Mocking Blow with a Justicebringer for initial threat.

May be too risky, but I believe a weapon swap can kick in after an ability usage nearly instantly. Will test it on some normal creatures first, but I'm tempted by the idea of 40k+ crit initial threat amounts.
    I like this idea I am gonna have to try it myself and do some more experimenting with macros. What are some good macros to put together for tanking especially for initial aggro?

I'm DPS Main spec at the moment, so I haven't been keeping tabs on tanking so much. Though I'm currently using Blocking, I am wondering just how much better is a fully Glyphed Mocking blow ever minute over Glyph of Devastate?

And I've been searching for an up to date ability/threat table for awhile on here, but I cant seem to find it. Anyone know where it is or can they just type out a rough one?

Quote Originally Posted by swelt View Post
    That is correct. Fixates are not affected by threat resets. You can do this with taunt too.

I would like Mocking Blow off the GCD <3

Have been doing some extensive testing on this, it does really help boost TPS.

Thread I have on it:

http://tyranny-guild.com/forums/index.php/topic,6125.0.html

I just realized you need a forum account on our site to see that so copy and paste inc:

So, as most warriors, we have deemed Mocking Blow to be pretty much useless for the past 5 years. But I decided to take a look at it, since they have changed it quite a bit. I only used to use it as an emergency taunt, but lets take a closer look.

Since it doesn't ACTUALLY taunt, it doesn't cause any DR on your taunt. This means you can actually use it for extra threat. Here's how:

With full glyphs for this skill (Barbaric Insults and Mocking Blow), we can push over 32 000 threat with a SINGLE MOCKING BLOW. (Source: Kojiyama - Tankspot)

It's usefulness just multiplied 5 times. Using this once a minute, and assuming an average of 11k TPS in say a 5 minute fight, we are gaining around 533 TPS! This is huge. This ability deals more single target threat (glyphed) than any other ability in our entire arsenal.

Math:

32 000 x 5 = 16 0000 Threat in one fight from MB

11 000 * 300 seconds = 33 00000 threat not using MB in one fight

33 00000 + 16 0000 = 11533.333 TPS

11533 - 11k = 533 TPS

So, uses:

For one, make a taunt macro

/cast Taunt
    /cast Mocking Blow

Instant 32k TPS, which will settle to around 11.5-12k once you get going. Good for spike threat? Fuck yes.

Weaving it into a rotation:

Because this has situational uses, I wouldn't really bind it to anything other than taunt for a set rotation, as I would use this on spirits on LK, as well as Halion adds. But, you can add it into your set rotation fairly easily. Just like a Demo Shout, TC refresher, replace a Devastate with Mocking Blow once a minute!

So, in light of this, the new absolute best single target TPS spec that I can find would be:

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#LAM00f...idczsGo:RciocM

I'd replace Glyph of Taunt with Glyph of Blocking for non taunt sensitive fights, but honestly, it probably isn't worth the swap because of how much you need the Taunt Glyph .

Glyph of Devastate is confirmed to apply the threat of 2 sunders, and is why I am using it in this case.

I can see this spec easily reaching 14k TPS and beyond.

Sidenote about maximizing threat: Shockwave at high gear levels is some of the highest TPS you can get. Having a scope on your ranged weapon for crit increases this. It is counted as a ranged attack, so like TC, ranged crit affects it and not our melee crit. Food for thought!

On the other end, here is a completely maximized survival spec:

I have excluded Safeguard, as it's uses past our LK kill, and times that I can use it have diminshed greatly.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#LVZhi0...idczsGo:irTocM

And a pure AoE spec (I want tri specs damnit):

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#LVZhgc...idczsGo:dMfMom

Feedback?
    Last edited by Raij; 09-04-2010 at 03:23 PM.

+ Reply to Thread