+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Guild MT Class

Guild MT Class

A few friends get together and form up a new guild to move into Caticlysm. We have a solid 10man team now and are working into a second. Our first down of ICC came last night and working the experience over in my head this morning I came to a horrible conclusion. Should I level a new tank. I am the guild MT. I play a blood spec dk and I tank with a tankadin. We are serious about moving into a second and possibly even a third 10man group and on into the next expansion. Is my DK really viable long term or should I go old school and just roll a warrior. Single target threat is still unmatched, more mitiation, shouts for raid buffs? I really don't want to start a flame here, just raid wise, is it better to have a solid player who will do the math/research for his toon driving a sword/board or a dk?

All four classes are viable main tanks. It's down to the skill and reliability of the player as to which class the guild should pick. Horrible conclusion? Nope. Just stick to reading here and educating yourself every day, you'll do wonderfully.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

I bet my DW Frost DK can match your threat ;-)

But to be on-topic. There's nothing wrong with having a Blood DK MT and that likely will not change, but Blizzard has surprised people before. It's always a good idea to have a good mix of classes in your guild, especially if you are pushing for the highest level of progression. As far as tanks are concerned, despite Blizzard's homogenization, Pally tanks are still better at some things and Warrior tanks are still better at others, same with Druids and DKs. Those things tend to be minor and very situational, but they do occur and can happen in high levels of progression.

But it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring in a Warrior. There's no reason to drop your DK if you love it.

Shortening it even further: A good mt does not rely on his class today, and that is not supposed to change.

As the guild grows you will naturally have to enroll additional tanks. You cant tank everything yourself and be the tank for 3 10 man runs all the time.

Other tanks will be there alongside you and you will need to adapt to them as well.

We have 3 Main tanks in our guild, all on a par and all different classes. (Druid, prot and pally) but we also have 2-3 very good OT players as well.

Find the tanking class you play well and feel most comfortable with and stick with it.

My experience is that all tanking classes are suitable and playable to the content but some are more suited to specific encounters than others (not saying 1 class cant tank it, just 1 class it may find it easier to tank it), explore teh options and the players.
    Belgariad: EU : Lightnings Blade. Once a Tank. Always a Tank.

To echo many others here - and to rip off someone's siggy. - Bring the player who is consistent, confident, prepared, and understands his strengths and weaknesses. "Be" this, and you won't go far wrong. Surround yourself with others like this, and you'll (all!) go far.

Honestly, I fail to see the significance of a MT. Our guild has always run with three different tanking classes, equally skilled and geared, and we delegate assignments based on personal strengths/weakness, who feels like doing what, or sometimes just a /random for fun. If all of your tanks aren't skilled, then pick the person who gets the job done. These threads really have no place anymore.

i think the term Main Tank has simply stuck to be the key tanks in your guild that generally get the 25 man raid spot and OT being those that have some gear and are coming through the ranks but are not yet at the coal face.

i allways refer to our guild main tanks as the prefferable tanks for progression raiding. These are mostly the most established and longest serving tanks in the guild.

i agree its no longer accurate to state im THE main tank anymore.

i dont think it was the OP intention to state "im the best tank going" im assuming he meant that he was attempting to build a balance of tanks to cover the multitude of situations and multiple 10 man groups.
    Belgariad: EU : Lightnings Blade. Once a Tank. Always a Tank.

FOTM FOTM FOTM.

You can start chasing flavor of the month, but by the time you're there, often there's a new flavor of the month.
    While I think it would be smart to level another character, don't you think it's a bit early to already make assumptions of which tankclass would be best in Cataclysm? Play the character which playstyle suits you most.

Think of building a tanking team, instead of relying on a single main tank of a specific class. Some classes are better at tanking some bosses, but no class is better than all the others at tanking everything. Put together a solid group, rotate tanking roles for different bosses for what is best or most fun, and if someone cannot make it one night you are still set.
    Loyalty above all, except Honor.

Quote Originally Posted by robbon View Post
    i dont think it was the OP intention to state "im the best tank going" im assuming he meant that he was attempting to build a balance of tanks to cover the multitude of situations and multiple 10 man groups.
    Thanks for pointing this out bud, I by no means think I'm the best going. My best "ingame" bud and I started this guild because ours was stagnate. Not running 25man, still wiping on Beasts... We just wanted the next level. One of the problems that we had is that our tank just showed up. No extra effort, no outside research, nothing. My mains are actually a disc priest and a ele shaman, but out of our people experience, I'm the one that we knew would do the research, know the fights, show up on time every time, and above all, ask the stupid questions that need to be asked.(like this one) We are hoping to move into 25mans soon, if recruitment goes well, I just really wanted to know long term that DK tanking is here to stay. I felt very inferior in all aspecs of tanking right up until the first boss in ICC. My threat was insane and my healers were very happy with my soaking abilities.

Where I am worried is in the class in general. DKs are a dime a dozen and I worry this will bring the mighty nerf from blizzard.

I've rolled a warrior and I'm pushing into the 30 levels now. I hope warrior tanking is a fun as it seems on the forums

Thanks everyone for helping the nubby out. I'm sure this won't be the last time you read my posts and ... /facepalm
    Last edited by Banterloft; 01-07-2010 at 11:20 AM. Reason: I forgot to thank everyone. :D

^^ good post there.

That said to sum it up, DK tanking is and will continue to be fine for MT. And warriors ARE indeed fun!

The only choice you should make is which class you like to play more. It has been said repeatedly already, but it's worth reiterating.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

Quote Originally Posted by Norrath View Post
    The only choice you should make is which class you like to play more. It has been said repeatedly already, but it's worth reiterating.
    Hence the reason I am shamelessly reiterating this via quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariedan View Post
    Honestly, I fail to see the significance of a MT. Our guild has always run with three different tanking classes, equally skilled and geared, and we delegate assignments based on personal strengths/weakness, who feels like doing what, or sometimes just a /random for fun. If all of your tanks aren't skilled, then pick the person who gets the job done. These threads really have no place anymore.
    ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Banterloft View Post
    Where I am worried is in the class in general. DKs are a dime a dozen and I worry this will bring the mighty nerf from blizzard.
    Keep in mind that warrior tanks still probably outnumber all other tanks *combined* (distributions probably gets more balanced in raid settings since good guilds like to have a set to choose from). So I wouldn't worry about DKs getting nerfed just because they're popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariedan View Post
    This is very true on 25 man when you have a diverse raid make up and lots of players filling lots of roles. But, I'd argue that it actually matters a bit on 10 man and depending on your raid composition.

Suppose you have the following dps: hunter, enhancement, feral, dk, pally.
    It would benefit your raid quite a bit to have a warrior tank.

My guild has a pretty balanced 10 man raid (3 casters, 3 melee), but swapping me and the pally on heroic worms caused a noticeable difference in how fast we downed them.

I really expect Blizzard to throw around sunder armor more in the next patch. Or perhaps making the minor versions more stackable or making expose armor less painful for rogues to apply.

/disagree slightly Ariedan

You may have differing strats on how you use your tanks in relation to who tanks the main boss and who tanks the adds or miniboss or what have you. But there still is a main tank in the case where that's the raid leader. Case in point, Putricide. I, as the guild MT will be taking the abomination, where our pally who is secondary to me tanks the professor, we both have similar gear. Second example. Premonition's kill vid of Anub'arak heroic (world 3rd I believe?), The druid tanked the boss, Xav, being unhittable tanked the 4 adds. Being a lead tank does not mean you have to tank the boss every time, but it does mean a leadership role. In my case it's guild AND raid leadership, I take the position that makes the most sense for the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Banterloft View Post
    It was called patch 3.2 and all the DKs hated it, but DKs can still Tank.

You're rolling a Warrior tank?

OMG, are you crazy?!

Warriors are the lowest, vilest, most-nerfed class, and should be permanently sheeped...

They can't hold aggr---er,

wait...

-"Just like a buzzin' fly, I come into your life, I'll float away, like honey in the sun..."--Tim Buckley

Any of them, of course.

But, you're going to have to field 2-3 tanks for 25man raids anyhow, and at least 2 tanks for 10man raids. So having variety (to cover the various 'this class is functionally better' encounters) of tanking classes is a plus.

As far as picking THE tanking class. Right now i'd say paladin. Six months ago most people would have said Deathknight or Bear. Six months from now, it could be any class. The roller-coaster of tank balance isn't predictable.

+ Reply to Thread