+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Icecrown Rotface

tanking the big ooze easly

I read all the four pages and i have seen any oen mention about the OT geting a MD.

I have a realy good hunter in my group that is awsome at target swaping and MD. All i had to do was to do big circle around the boss and cast FF feary fire every time i could. I didn't had to take one beat of it and no healer could get agro either.

so much easier on healer

Quote Originally Posted by Ventfou View Post
    I read all the four pages and i have seen any oen mention about the OT geting a MD.

I have a realy good hunter in my group that is awsome at target swaping and MD. All i had to do was to do big circle around the boss and cast FF feary fire every time i could. I didn't had to take one beat of it and no healer could get agro either.

so much easier on healer
    I'm a prot pally and I would drop consecrate right as the two Little Ooze would get together, then back away, tab target the Big Ooze, taunt/throw shield, and run. I would throw my shield every 30 seconds and drop consecrate in his path and my healers never got higher than 30% threat. I would imagine a DK could do similar with DnD and IT/DC. I could imagine being the kiting tank is harder as a bear or warrior.

Side note. Our 10-man two healed this fight yesterday with a disc priest and pally allowing our tree to go boom giving us a nice dps boost. Our kill took 40 seconds less time (3:48) and the fight was much smoother.

Regards,
    Lil' Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Natal View Post
    I tank and even saw a little slime go right through the big slime!!! And this caused us to wipe because it went to the center near all the healers. We couldn't believe it went right through, I wish i was recording it to show.
    Keep in mind, proximity is only part of what causes the small slimes to be absorbed. The actual mechanic is caued by the damaging aura. Until the aura ticks and is in range to hit the other slime, it will not draw it in. It is possible, however unlikely, that the slime can skip the ticks of the aura and miss merging if it is pulled away too quickly.

Judging from our wipes, we found Rotface 10 harder than 25. We've made a number of changes to our 'plan of attack' which may or may not help you.

-We ran with two healers instead of three. This really helped us and sort of made us kick ourselves after spending the night wiping with 3 healers. While from our tries people's health reaching 0 was the main cause of death, as I'm sure it is for everyone else, the excess healing just didn't help.

-I have this campaign against Slime Spray. Not that I've compared numbers but I consider it a void zone in effect. No one should be hit by it. On the whole most people in melee will avoid it. For use at least, the problem comes when people aren't next to the boss and either forget or have this misguided notion they won't be hit. This occurs when the ozee explodes or when people have the debuff on them.

-The debuff I have assumed is what kills most people. Or more, the healing debuff that comes as a fun little extra. For this reason I like to be dispelled sooner rather than later. While dispelling instantly is -bad-. Once you are out of melee I would. The slime's melee and aura may hit harder than the debuff, but it doesn't nerf the healing you need.

-Alot of deaths from the healing debuff comes from when the player in question is hit by either the Big Ozees Aura or Slime Spray. Taking heavy damage with a healing debuff will kill you at the later end of the fight, hence the need to avoid damage and dispel fast (but not too fast, just when out of the raid)

-As a warlock who likes to take damage to prove I can 'handle it' I feel there is a stage in the fight where you 'Ignore the tactics, Nuke him'. This is where you stay spread out after an explosion, and just focus on damage and ignore the tactics. For us it was 10% or around that marker. It removes the Big Ozees from play taking out a source of AoE damage.

Just as a clarification, I see folks mentioning that you can just run through the large pools of slime that cover a quarter of the room when kiting the big ooze. This is on 25s correct? I run a 10 man guild and we're having difficulties with this encounter, would running through the slime pools on 10s be viable?

Quote Originally Posted by Nahimana View Post
    Just as a clarification, I see folks mentioning that you can just run through the large pools of slime that cover a quarter of the room when kiting the big ooze. This is on 25s correct? I run a 10 man guild and we're having difficulties with this encounter, would running through the slime pools on 10s be viable?
    We have a DK doing the kiting, and he runs through the slimes as well in 10 man, he skirts the edge (so don't go running blatantly through it if you can avoid it), but we've found popping a cd, or using AMS when that happens is easier than trying to manage where the slime pools have been/are going to be.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Thanks for the reply, we'll see what happens tonight!

so just to clarify 10man this IS a 2 healer fight right? blowing hero in the beginning?

Quote Originally Posted by sillypuddy View Post
    so just to clarify 10man this IS a 2 healer fight right? blowing hero in the beginning?
    Really depends on your raid. Rotface is more technical than Festergut and Festergut is more of a gear/skill check. You don't need to go out of your way to have extra DPS on Rotface because it's a lot more leaniant with the time you have to kill him, the fight is more about proper execution. Granted the simple truth of DPS always holds true, if the boss dies faster you don't have to execute it correctly as long.

It's really up to your raids personal preference. That said, if you're having problems killing him with 3 healers, try it with 2 and see if that helps. It's not as black and white as say Anub'arak in ToC was.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinafoi View Post
    Really depends on your raid. Rotface is more technical than Festergut and Festergut is more of a gear/skill check. You don't need to go out of your way to have extra DPS on Rotface because it's a lot more leaniant with the time you have to kill him, the fight is more about proper execution. Granted the simple truth of DPS always holds true, if the boss dies faster you don't have to execute it correctly as long.

It's really up to your raids personal preference. That said, if you're having problems killing him with 3 healers, try it with 2 and see if that helps. It's not as black and white as say Anub'arak in ToC was.
    I still have to disagree with this. I see a few people saying this everytime, they are both DPS races. Rotface is a Execution fight with a natural enrage so its not 5 mins and we all die, its a i cant handle the ooz anymore.

If you can get around the 30-40% mark in around 3 mins then w/e your setup is fine

i dont wish to impede on tankspot but i have my own video you can check, it might help.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGKaU8ig8bc

Quote Originally Posted by Purechaos View Post
    I still have to disagree with this. I see a few people saying this everytime, they are both DPS races. Rotface is a Execution fight with a natural enrage so its not 5 mins and we all die, its a i cant handle the ooz anymore.

If you can get around the 30-40% mark in around 3 mins then w/e your setup is fine

i dont wish to impede on tankspot but i have my own video you can check, it might help.
    Please read what you quote. You are in no way disagreeing with me. I said Rotface is a technical fight and doesn't require heavy DPS. I said it depends on their specific raid whether 2 or 3 healers works for them. If you disagree, you are saying it requires a set number of healers but you do not answer the question.

However, I did make the comment that any boss that dies faster, has less time to do its abilities. That fact always holds true. If you kill Ragnaros before he submerges, he doesn't submerge. That's the fundamental concept of DPS. If whatever it is you are fighting dies faster, you don't have to deal with as many of its abilities.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Purechaos View Post
    Definitely the best 10 man Rotface video I have found, and that's saying a lot because I've watched probably 20+. Thanks!

We're struggling with this guy on 25 man, I lost track of the attempts but I'm guessing 30+ so far. 10 man was a steep learning curve as well but we've downed him a couple times with more then 1 ten man group. Even got him to 523k in 25 man that was heartbreaking.

Some things to note that I haven't seen posted:

Make absolutely sure your DK's are not using Army of the Dead on this encounter. I suppose at the very start its possible but anytime after can be a death sentence the reason being is that if the DK is hit by the Big Oozes radiation they will flip out and pull the big ooze off your kiter into the raid. Result, dead raid.

Someone else mentioned running head on into the Big Ooze with your little one results in a merge every time, I can confirm this. You will take a good 9-10k dmg tick but its a reliable way to make them merge. Healthstones are your friend here.

We actually pre speed potion 1 second before the pull to give us a 8-12 second haste buff to the raid.
    Since i am the shaman I then pop Elemental Mastery wait for it to run out then blow heroism. It coincides well with the first slime spray and even though 1 or 2 people are out merging slimes it allows us to make the most of our DPS.
    We then use a 2nd Haste Pot about 30 seconds after Heroism has faded, the slimes have sped up at this point but aren't near the 6 second intervals yet.

For those having a rough time on ten man my team has downed him using 2 and 3 healers so you can go either way on it. I actually kited while the DK tank went DPS spec. Being an elemental shaman it had some advantages, I can agro the big ooze safely from range easily hitting it with Flame Shock and Lava Burst while still maintaining a safe kiting distance.
    Also on the little oozes I frost shock them or earthbind totem root them so the infected player has more room for error in merging them without being gibbed by the little ooze and the big oozes radiation.

Its really not so bad to have a range as your kiter as long as your OT can go into a DPS spec that doesn't hurt the overall raid DPS alot. I am still able to maintain some damage on rotface as I kite as well whereas most tanks will not be able to contribute any damage to the boss while kiting.

I don't usually post here but i need real serious advice.

My guild has been on Rotface since his release. We've made improvements on our attempts but we have been wiping on him for the last 4 weeks now. My raiders are getting very frustrated on this fight.

Our strat is to immediatly flip Rotface around and have him face the back wall. DPS gets into a semi-circle around him to deal with the slime spray. Our first Infected member runs to the north wall to our Off-tank then runs around counter clockwise, making adjustments (changing directions) as the slime pours in. The second and every following injected member runs in the general direction of our OT (marked) and quickly passes the Big ooze to merge it. We repeat the process until our first explosion, we run to the walls as soon as the Big ooze pops and then run back to our same positions as soon as it is safe. This repeats until we start dying off, usualy in the last -1.3mil. We have Lust popped a couple of injections in. We can get him down to less than 1 Million HP, even had several where he was under 200k. Our best was 156k.

On a side not, i just read about not cleansing infections. I know for fact that myself and our ele shaman had every infection cleansed off us once we were in position to drop it. Making this change to my guild's strategy.

We also noticed a couple things last night that just didn't seem right.

-Oozes would spawn from our rogue on the outer wall then chase our Priest. After taking a couple bites out of her, they would run straight to our Resto druid, or some combination of members. We had one instance where it wen straight for our MT after spawning from another member.

-When merging 2 Small Oozes we had 2 instance where the oozes would not merge, then run right under Rotface and merge under him only to get caught in our Paladin tank's consecration.

Any help our advice is much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Inashne View Post
    Any help our advice is much appreciated.
    Ways to mess up aggro on small Ooze:
    Any of these can cause the Small Ooze to follow different aggro rules. Mirror Images explicitly gives aggro to the images rather than the player. Everything else results in either a temporary or permanent drop in threat. This list isn't all inclusive, though should be most of the mechanics which cause unpredictable behavior.
    Dying
    Mirror Images
    Invisibility
    Ice Block
    Vanish
    Feign Death
    Hand of Protection
    Divine Intervention
    Divine Shield
    Shadowmeld

Ways to mess up aggro on Big Ooze:
    Pets that automatically taunt, very bad.
    Army of the Dead

Other possible mistakes:
    Running back to raid prior to confirming a merge, only one can merge at a time. It's not an exact science but until you see yours merge, you shouldn't be running back to the middle. You, the infected party, are responsible for making yours merge. No one else is responsible for this but you. If yours doesn't merge, it's your fault, no one elses.

Aliena, which addons are you using, if I can ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrya View Post
    Aliena, which addons are you using, if I can ask?

UI compilation forum ->

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

My bad.
    Thanks for the info

Quoting Inashne: "our Off-tank then runs around counter clockwise, making adjustments (changing directions) as the slime pours in."

I'd strongly recommend your OT sticks to one direction throughout the fight (clockwise or anticlockwise), the damage from slime pouring in is pretty low and pally blessing of freedom will prevent the slow, he basically summons small slimes faster and faster through the fight (I've simplified the mechanics a bit) and so for the last 30% you need to merge small slimes quickly otherwise you can potentially have 2 or more large slimes up at one - not an instant wipe but can be a real pain! Sticking to one direction makes it easier for guildies to predict where the OT will be and run out fast.
    **Give me a hug and I'll defend you with my life**
    Blog: http://www.tankspot.com/blog.php?550-Shortypop

In either 10 or 25m I suggest having your ranged dps / healers stand in-front of the boss while the melee stays behind. This means that ~1/2 the time the ranged will have to stop casting and move. If all the ranged are behind the boss, every time Rotface slime sprays ALL of the ranged have to stop casting and move. That is a considerate amount of dps loss and hard on the healers. But that is what people do for reasons I am unaware of.

Wowikki has this info: In regular intervals, Rotface uses Slime Spray. He turns in a random direction (this ability is not targeted on specific players). However, I find this debatable. Every time I have fought Rotface, 90% of the dps/healers were behind the boss and his slime spray targeted to that side almost every time.

From my experience on my arcane mage, doing it both ways, I've increased my dps by ~1000 by standing in the front, reducing the amount of wasted GCD's by ~10-15 per attempt. You could also have just the healers in the front, if healing is the issue, to reduce the amount of times the front gets the spray. Personally, If I was the RL of a hardcore, hard mode guild, I would have the casters without many instants in their rotation stand in the front. [EX] Holy Paladin, Resto shaman, Arcane mage, Destro lock, etc.
    If anyone sees an issue with this strat let me know.
    Last edited by uffdabock; 02-23-2010 at 05:48 AM.

+ Reply to Thread