+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Icecrown Rotface

Quote Originally Posted by Protempora View Post
    I can confirm that the rate of infection is in fact, A FUNCTION OF TIME, and not the bosses health. After trying to figure this out in a number of ways, we decided to actually try an attempt just to check.

We pulled the boss, and just had everyone white swing. Sure enough, the rate of adds spawning increased while the boss stayed at nearly 100%. I would also like to confirm (With no real data or tests to show for it) that the 3 min 'soft enrage' everyone talks about seems to be accurate. I believe someone fraps the attempt, I'll post a link for it later if anyone cares to pay closer attention to the rate and the time we spent fighting the boss.
    If that's the case I think I'm going to try the dispell method so my dps can stop running oozes faster and get back. Our best attempt was about 32% and it was not hectic, it was hellish the rate they were spawning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

When my guild was doing Rotface last night, we had a couple of problems. Mainly was me, the Off-tank/kiter, had to kite through the melee/healers because of the green ooze (slime, whatever) that comes out of 1/4th the room. Which would cause the middle of the room to die.

Is it completely necessary to avoid that, or could I possibly walk through it while trying to get out of it? Also, since I'm a warrior I have very few (long ranged) snares. Can the big ooze be rooted at all? We had a Boomkin in the raid so that would help.

During the time that we were making attempts to check on the mutagen timer we also made a few attempts to check on the "Dispell vs not-dispell" question.

Although we weren't really able to say if the dispelling made a considerable difference on the rate they spawned (I'm tempted to say no, because there are plenty of times at the start with no mutagens up, and plenty at the end with 2 or 3 up regardless of dispells) we did find that it seemed to make the fight considerably less hectic. It allowed the raid healer we were using for dispells to focus on healing, and the dps was allowed a considerably longer time to move out of the raid then if it were dispelled as soon as it landed. It also gave them a lot of time to find the big ooze and get there (something I know a lot of guilds have been having a hard time with; poor add merging that is).

That being said, it might have just been we were getting a better handle on the fight and add control, but it seemed to make a big difference on our attempts (10% vs 30-35% wipes). If your raid is still having issues not panicing as the fight goes on, I'd give this a few attempts and see how it works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehaw View Post
    When my guild was doing Rotface last night, we had a couple of problems. Mainly was me, the Off-tank/kiter, had to kite through the melee/healers because of the green ooze (slime, whatever) that comes out of 1/4th the room. Which would cause the middle of the room to die.

Is it completely necessary to avoid that, or could I possibly walk through it while trying to get out of it? Also, since I'm a warrior I have very few (long ranged) snares. Can the big ooze be rooted at all? We had a Boomkin in the raid so that would help.
    You can just walk trough that, damage it does is trivial and the slowing effect can be negated with blessing of freedom. Big ooze can't be rooted.

During the time that we were making attempts to check on the mutagen timer we also made a few attempts to check on the "Dispell vs not-dispell" question.

Although we weren't really able to say if the dispelling made a considerable difference on the rate they spawned (I'm tempted to say no, because there are plenty of times at the start with no mutagens up, and plenty at the end with 2 or 3 up regardless of dispells) we did find that it seemed to make the fight considerably less hectic. It allowed the raid healer we were using for dispells to focus on healing, and the dps was allowed a considerably longer time to move out of the raid then if it were dispelled as soon as it landed. It also gave them a lot of time to find the big ooze and get there (something I know a lot of guilds have been having a hard time with; poor add merging that is).

That being said, it might have just been we were getting a better handle on the fight and add control, but it seemed to make a big difference on our attempts (10% vs 30-35% wipes). If your raid is still having issues not panicing as the fight goes on, I'd give this a few attempts and see how it works out for you.
    That's how we've done all our attempts thus far. I know people say the debuff is easy to heal through to he duration, but the longer that dps is sitting with the debuff the less time they are attacking the boss. In addition, the debuff ticks faster than the damage of the slime, and taking away the healing reduction keeps risk factors down. We dispell the debuff as soon as the character is out of the raid group.

I can confirm that the rate of infection is in fact, A FUNCTION OF TIME, and not the bosses health. After trying to figure this out in a number of ways, we decided to actually try an attempt just to check.

We pulled the boss, and just had everyone white swing. Sure enough, the rate of adds spawning increased while the boss stayed at nearly 100%. I would also like to confirm (With no real data or tests to show for it) that the 3 min 'soft enrage' everyone talks about seems to be accurate. I believe someone fraps the attempt, I'll post a link for it later if anyone cares to pay closer attention to the rate and the time we spent fighting the boss.
    If that's the case, my friend, you just make my day... we have been wiping on this boss for like a week, i really HATE him.... we are going to test a different strat tomorrow...

EDIT: Well' i researched a bit and it IS a funciton of time.... The infection timers goes like this...

14-14-14-14-12-12-12-12-10-10-10-10-8-8-8-8-8-8-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6

it can be delayed by a slime spray cast so it's not 100% accurate.

It is safe to cast Bloodlust at the start of the fight to get the most of it...

Thanks for the head up ^^
    Last edited by zevah; 01-17-2010 at 10:02 PM.

Hello,

I got a question about the mutual infection Rotface does.
    Lookin at the kill movies above, I noticed that you get your first Big Ooze to blow up at about 3 minutes into the fight. However, We seem to struggle killing this boss and keep our DPS up because we have to move from the ooze explosion a lot earlier in the fight. As I said the explosion in the above movies was at around 3 minutes of combat where we seem to get it even before we hit the 2 minute mark, which is odd as well.

I've been reading the other messages here and it seems that you should NOT dispell the infection debuff as this speeds up the pace people get infected. So probably that is the reason why we keep wiping on Rotface. I just want to know if it is confirmed thats NOT dispelling gives you more time untill the first explosion. Else it might just be us not being ready for this boss yet. Our main problem is the speed we get our first explosion at, it's more then a minute difference then the movies above...!

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Wailynn; 01-18-2010 at 07:09 AM.

From my understanding, If you dispell it off the person, thent he baby ooze drops and begins to move around.

Quote Originally Posted by Djtk View Post
    From my understanding, If you dispell it off the person, thent he baby ooze drops and begins to move around.
    We haven't been dispelling and I think that's our problem. DPS should just drop the poo and run back to position and DPS.

Dispelling is key, makes the fight so much easier and less healing, less dps time off the boss, we successfully got Rotface down (with only 7 players left alive) and all I can say for the last 20% or so is just panicked healing. Even if people are good and don't get hit by sprays and explosions, he begins putting out 3 and even 4 mutations at a time, and they seem to tick a lot harder as the fight goes on. If you don't dispell them it's hard for heals to keep up. Also for this reason, a bloodlust at the start is useful, because only one person at a time is off the boss for the first half, as well as the fact that the mutations go out based on time, so BL when the highest dps is available and everyones CDs are up is the most effective. If people start dying don't give up, we finished with 3 healers, our two tanks and 2 dps as the only standing players for the last 5% of his health.
    Last edited by Evilish; 01-18-2010 at 10:10 AM.

So Evilish you advocate dispelling all or as many as possible, correct?

1- Rotface has a soft enrage at 3 mins, what i mean by soft is the frequency past the 3 min mark of the Mutating ooz starts increasing at 3 mins. So you really have two choices you either bust him in the face early with BL to knock down as much as possible as quick as possible. We went with blowing it right at the start to start taking health away, with this in mind, its a 2 healer fight. You want to burn before that 3 min mark before it starts getting hectic and there is more moving. So Beating the shit out of him early is great cause the speed stays steady.

2- I did the dispelling(im MT with my guild and figured it would be better if i kited). I was OT and Dispelled, in short the second you got the debuff you ran to me and i got rid of it as quick as possible. REMEMBER THE OOZ HAS TO JUST TUCH THE BIG ONE, THATS IT, once it touches your done, even if it chases you it will disappear if you touched it once.

ALSO little oozes can be snared, so if your a mage go to the kiter, get it dispelled and frost nova and blink out, the kiter can just make sure it goes over it and BAM.

Druids can use natures grasp if they have it.

Remember the whole touching it thing is important because you can get out quick.

3- IMPORTANT NOTE FOR HEALERS! When you have two healing is zomg important and taking a break from it is a issue. For slime as a healer when the big ooz is up you have to suck it up and run fast.

HOWEVER if you are well aware of where you have the debuff before the big ooz is out run out a little and stop and heal and take the dmg. We made sure it was the job of the nonhealer before the big ooz was out to combined them.

Much appreciated. I'll have our priest or druid healer go DPS and the pally tank who's kiting will be the dispeller.

Yeah dispell as many as you can, if OT can do it that'd be prime because they can easily see if someone is in a good position to drop a slime
    Last edited by Evilish; 01-18-2010 at 01:08 PM.

We had a problem with the mutated infections where the player who got the disease would run out of the raid, be cleansed, and then the slime would go after someone else in the raid. I was under the impression that the slime got aggro on the person who had the infection so that they could kite them until two combined and the OT picked up the newly formed big ooze. Are we doing something wrong?

Ya the same thing is happening to us. The little ooze is spawning and just B-lines into the raid, as if someone had taunted it.

Our guild found that occasionally the small slimes will be affected by a path bug, where when two small slimes are about to join, they head to the center of the room and then join. This could possibly be what is causing those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    We had a problem with the mutated infections where the player who got the disease would run out of the raid, be cleansed, and then the slime would go after someone else in the raid. I was under the impression that the slime got aggro on the person who had the infection so that they could kite them until two combined and the OT picked up the newly formed big ooze. Are we doing something wrong?
    Any aggro-reducing/resetting abilities will affect the little slimes. They have a perfectly normal aggro table, but can't be taunted and start with half a mill of threat on the player it spawned from. If someone has Mirror images up or Vanishes/FD's, it'll go to the next target on it's list - most probably a healer, who will be standing with the raid, hence the movement.

We have been having the same problem, where the little slimes go in the center of the raid right after a dispel.

I tank and even saw a little slime go right through the big slime!!! And this caused us to wipe because it went to the center near all the healers. We couldn't believe it went right through, I wish i was recording it to show.

Anyways, we think it may be because our mage blinked away from it and it somehow glitched it.

Anyways this fight has been very very frustrating, we must have wiped about 50 times last week, only getting him down to 40%.

Kill Strat

Sorry if some of this is redundant. I thought I would share what my 10-man learned in our 30 or so attempts before we got him last week.

• Heroism/Bloodlust after the first slime spray. This is about 10 seconds into the fight and gives maximum DPS for classes which need ramp up time, while still taking advantage of the infrequent Mutated Infections.
    • All healers should DPS at the start since damage received is very minimal.
    • When there is no big ooze up, have a designated spot for people to meet up. We tanked him in the center of the room and used the door as a fixed location. If there was a flood we stood just outside of it for this part.
    • Kiting OT does not need to be all the way up against the wall. The Big Ooze’s radiating damage has a small radius, so keeping him closer to the raid allows for shorter travel time equating to more DPS.
    • Our kill took >27k raid DPS and 4:33. This seems to be about the average kill time from what I’ve seen of 10-man logs.

Regards,
    Lil' Willie

+ Reply to Thread