+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Icecrown Rotface

Has anyone conclusively proven whether the Mutated Infection rate is tied to boss health or timed?

That is a good question, I have a friend telling that is actually timed, but is not confirmed yet.
    When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity. - Albert Einstein

A couple of things to add. You can still kite oozes (big and small) onto a big ooze that is casting 'Unstable Ooze Explosion'.

(it says a four second cast, but the aura removed / unit died event occurs about six seconds after the cast begins, as per combat log. I've definately got an example of a small ooze being added to an exploding big ooze five seconds after it started its cast, according to combat log timings.)

This 'absorbs' the added ooze without causing any extra damage / explosions (as far as I can tell from the combat logs).

I have an example of a five stack big ooze begin casting explosion, and then having a three stack big ooze being added - causing: SPELL_AURA_APPLIED_DOSE : Unstable Ooze : 8 BUFF.

We've started two OT'ing this encounter (in 25 man), given the lack of enrage, to ensure that big oozes are well kited (because you just know someones going to go and make a second big ooze to ruin your day! - especially when it locks onto the Pally healer ) and minimize explosions (if done properly with two OT's - can just about halve the number).

Also, if your raid has good coordination, you can get your OT's full four stack big oozes, then have them kite them together, and add in any other small oozes people are kiting while the explosion is casting. (At five stacks a big ooze stops moving (I think?) - therefore you'd probably have trouble getting two five stack big oozes in the right place to combine at the right time.)

Also - using multiple OT's - getting four stack big oozes - and kiting them until the boss is dead - is likely the method for getting the achievement. Obviously individual raid memebers could kite small oozes (and may be neccessary if you don't kill Rotface before all you OT's are 'full') - however too many small oozes, especially near the main raid group, with their AoE damage, are going to make your healers very unhappy!

dispel mechanics?

So, does anyone know definitively if dispelling the mutation is safe to do, or does this cause him to immediately send out another mutation? We were having trouble determining if this was the case or not, but thought it seemed more hectic when we were dispelling it, so we stopped dispelling people. I'm seeing conflicting posts on this thread about this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilish View Post
    So, does anyone know definitively if dispelling the mutation is safe to do, or does this cause him to immediately send out another mutation? We were having trouble determining if this was the case or not, but thought it seemed more hectic when we were dispelling it, so we stopped dispelling people. I'm seeing conflicting posts on this thread about this subject.
    I would also like to know as this could drastically change our strat.

First time my ten man hit this last night... (only had time for 4 attempts,and they did not go so well)

Quote Originally Posted by Evilish View Post
    I also would love to know this.

We were short on time last night. Managed to get the boss down close to 33% a few times but would always get an unlucky break for our kiting tank and he would get 2 shotted.

Slowing down the Mutated Infection rate would be the biggest help. If no one has tested this on Wednesday, I will let you guys know what I find.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterbefall View Post
    Has anyone conclusively proven whether the Mutated Infection rate is tied to boss health or timed?
    I was actually wondering the same D:

I reviewed a few combat logs and it appears to be a bit random and does not correlate with when it is cleansed. It appeared to happen more frequently towards the end of the fight though.

The rate at the beginning of the fight was around 13~ seconds between Mutated Infection applications. Towards the end of the fight it was closer to 8 seconds.

If a player takes 12 ticks, that means they were not cleansed as the debuff lasts 12 seconds. I noticed a few times where the infected player would only take 3-4 ticks and the application time was still 13~ seconds from when the last person received the debuff initially.

I would conclude that the best strategy is to have the infected person run as fast as possible to the big slime and cleanse right away to make it easier on the healers and maximize DPS.

If anyone else sees something different, please correct me.

Little Oozes

Hi all,

We tried this encounter tonight on 25 man.
    And we ran into some nasty problems once the big ooze exploded. somehow after an explosion we had 4-5 little oozes up all around the room. These were not sticky oozes from the debuff and they had a threat meter.
    What I would like to know is how do you avoid these or how do you deal with them?

They wiped us over and over again, and some times they merged and spawned a big one that exploded 20 sec after the first explosion.
    the tactic doesn't say anything about this.
    another thing is, is it possible to avoid the slime from the explosion, or does it always hit 10 ppl no matter what?

Cheers
    Tyler

Wev been having a few issues on both and its mainly the ooz kiting.

Im a prot pally and the way we have it set up is that il kite the ooz, people will run with the debuff to me and il cleanse it to get it into the ooz.

However what always seems to snag me is to avoid the giant green stuff while trying to get away from the big ooz and il hit a snag and get hit by the big one.

So i see that you guys run through it, does Blessing of freedom work going through the slowing ooz.

As I said on last site there is no need to avoid the "Giant green stuff". Just run through the soup. With the 25% slow you should still be able to kite the ooze properly, At least I am. As you said BoF works here, but if youīre not a paladin you can also run through it without beeing hit.If you are a Dk, you can use Antimagical (dunno the english word) whatever You gotta choose if you want to run back right through the big ooze and get 2 30-40k hits or to the soup and get 2-3k per second.

BoF works? Then why does it matter if you're a paladin, as long as you *have* one in the group?

good point ;>. Dunno I just didnīt need it. The damage isnīt avoidable and the slow is just lol. If they intended to force a tank to avoid the soup they should have used 50% oder 75%

My guild had several tries on rotface last night, all ending up with a wipe, sadly

Seems like we are failing around 25-30% hp left.

Everything works very nicely at first. We group up into 2 groups avoiding slime sprays flawlessly. When the infection is triggered we have the first player infected kiting him near the off-tank, and merge em with the 2nd player infected. Off tank taunts it and the kiting starts. Everything works fine during the first explosion, no one is affected by the rain. And we repeat the process. Around 30% things are starting to get out of hands for us.

We had several tries with 2 big oozes up at 1 time = epic wipe.

I think our main problem is that we are too slow with merging the oozes with the big one, and the slime pools. Since the Off-tank will run thu the slime pools while kiting it we (the kiters) will have to run past it and merge it when it comes out of the pools. We have tried running thru the pools aswell but we mostly end up dying by doing so. So from time to time we have 2 infected at the same time with a big ooze up and running. And in all the "chaos" we manage to merge another big add together instead of merging em with the big add.

I don't know why we fail at 25-30% since the first %s is very easy. Will he start to cast infections faster at some point, which means you need to be faster with the merging or? We also decided to use heroism and such at 30% since we are starting to have a difficult time by then, for whatever reason.

Another thing is that sometimes the off-tank seems to loose aggro from the big add and it will start moving to the middle and kill everything in It's way. And also that the main tank sometimes happens to aggro a small slime that should be kited by the infected one.

Anyone that might know some soloutions to this? ^^
    Last edited by Satyra; 01-13-2010 at 07:14 PM.
    | "Like bringing a knife, into a gunfight" |
    ..Satyra, for president.

Firstly: what kind of offtank do u use? The Best would be a Dk , the worst a warrior, but as a warrior you just need a little bit more tricks. If its a warrior he should use shieldwall as soon as the big add spawns and go max aggro until shield wall runs out. Then he should go on range and use heroic throw on cd. that should be enough. Further more at least I recognized that there certainly is some kind of soft enrage timer since the adds are spawning faster and faster throughout the entire fight. I recommend using heroic strike and all cds you have as soon as every dd is dpsing, so right after pull. You can ignore the first mutated infektion (just heal it and let it pop) and as soon as the 2nd ooze spawns the 2 guys should run to out of the raidcamp to the OT and let em merge. If your raiddps is nice, that should work and there are not going to be as much problems as you said @ 20-30% .
    I believe that there is a timer and that there is no enrage bound to health or something. So Imho It makes sense to use heroism at the beginning in order to ensure max dps.

There does not appear to be any correlation between dispelling the disease and a new one being cast. Cleanse when it is convenient, there is no need to let the diseases always go their full duration.

I still do not know if the infection speed-up is based on boss health or total encounter duration. If someone wants to find out, the easiest way would be to tank him for 4-5 minutes without doing damage, and just checking how fast the spawns are. It should be a very simple test to perform.

-Splug

that is exactly our guild plan tonight, 1-2 attempts w/o doing any dmg, just execution, to see th real pattern and make ppl more familiar w the mechanics.
    When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity. - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Splug View Post
    There does not appear to be any correlation between dispelling the disease and a new one being cast. Cleanse when it is convenient, there is no need to let the diseases always go their full duration.

I still do not know if the infection speed-up is based on boss health or total encounter duration. If someone wants to find out, the easiest way would be to tank him for 4-5 minutes without doing damage, and just checking how fast the spawns are. It should be a very simple test to perform.

-Splug
    Considering how many guilds including my own that are having problems around the 30% range I would say it is percentage based not timed. Things seem to speed up considerably around this time and lead to the chaos that is causing the wipes. I am not stating this as a fact just that so many people have had the same problems at the same time.

I'd suspect it's percentage of boss health related as well, but keep in mind that most people are going to reach the 30% mark at roughly the same point in the timeline, and it's much easier to note the boss health than the elapsed encounter duration. I really don't know; I have oozes targetted the whole time, I just know that things seem to get a bit more hectic toward the end.

-Splug

And now the answer you're all been waiting for....

I can confirm that the rate of infection is in fact, A FUNCTION OF TIME, and not the bosses health. After trying to figure this out in a number of ways, we decided to actually try an attempt just to check.

We pulled the boss, and just had everyone white swing. Sure enough, the rate of adds spawning increased while the boss stayed at nearly 100%. I would also like to confirm (With no real data or tests to show for it) that the 3 min 'soft enrage' everyone talks about seems to be accurate. I believe someone fraps the attempt, I'll post a link for it later if anyone cares to pay closer attention to the rate and the time we spent fighting the boss.

+ Reply to Thread