+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 140

Thread: Icecrown Festergut

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    34
    I learned a couple of things about this fight last night while we were attempting it again. There are a couple of key things we changed which would have given us the win had our top DPS rogue not disconnected at the start (he pulls about 3mil in the 5 minutes and we were 2.5mil behind enrage).

    First, there is no reason to use 3 groups of ranged. In fact, I recommend against it. We used 1 group of ranged and 1 group of melee. 7 at range was sufficient to prevent Vile Gas on melee, and is presumably the minimum number. We never got a test on 6, but when 2 of our ranged died at one point, making 5 at range, Vile Gas definitely hit melee.

    So we had 7 people spread out at ranged all in the same general area as each other, and of course all melee and our strongest ranged DPSers on his ass.

    It's a lot easier to organize the spores this way. The only hitch is that one of the spores has to run *away* from everyone else so's not to double-infect either of the groups (since a double DOT, while not always lethal, can hurt very bad).

    We found DPS time for the ranged classes went way up in this scenario. It also let us give healers priority to not move, and in the case of 2 healers getting a spore, the Paladin and Shaman would have priority (in that order) while the Druids would be the first to move out if required.

    Second, as has been mentioned elsewhere I believe, shadow resist does not work on Pungent Blight. It works on everything else though. The fight pretty clearly favors having at least 1 Paladin healer, so Aura Mastery+Shadow Resist should be timed to mitigate some of the thick (0 inhale) blight damage. Because Pungent Blight's timer is just over every 2 minutes, it can be used shortly after the gas enters the room, and then right after each Pungent Blight goes off, to give healers 6 seconds of mitigation before people start dying off to the DOT after the big Pungent Blight blast.

    Damage reduction cooldowns do work on Pungent Blight, as has been noted. Going with the above, that you'll likely have a Paladin healer for this fight, Divine Sacrifice+Divine Guardian makes an invaluable cooldown for this fight. I was able to time my Divine Sacrifice directly before Aura Mastery in each case to mitigate a good amount of damage. One of them was bubbled and kept the party div-sac effect, and the other two used the following macro hit twice:

    /cancelaura Divine Sacrifice
    /cast Divine Sacrifice

    The end result was that when someone screwed up and a few people only got 2 stacks of Inoculated, even those with no damage reduction cooldowns survived with HP to spare, and it's looking like a Holy Paladin will be the key to getting the Flu Shot Shortage achievement on 25.

    Cooldowns ended up being timed like this (and can be used the same way in 10 man from a Holy Paladin):

    - Gas enters room
    - Divine Sacrifice (hit+cancel)
    - Aura Mastery 6 seconds later
    - Pungent Blight #1 starts casting
    - Divine Sacrifice (hit+cancel)
    - Aura Mastery right as Pungent Blight finishes its cast
    - Pungent Blight #2 starts casting
    - Divine Shield + Divine Sacrifice
    - Aura Mastery right as Pungent Blight finishes its cast

    This should pretty much guarantee no deaths.

    Also to note, Shadow Priests should never have to get Inoculated, and therefore make an excellent choice of someone to put at range. The only reason they need to clump up is if they get a spore that the ranged group requires. Dispersion covers enough of the damage that they will be at 0 risk if it's cast during Pungent Blight.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    34
    Just an aside, how much DPS are the 2 tanks roughly putting out with Gastric Bloat?

    i.e. where are they roughly sitting on Recount by the end of the fight? 4k, 5k, 6k?
    More freaking plate drops then a Greek Wedding...

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Malefik View Post
    Just an aside, how much DPS are the 2 tanks roughly putting out with Gastric Bloat?

    i.e. where are they roughly sitting on Recount by the end of the fight? 4k, 5k, 6k?
    on our trys i was at 5.6k, as a dual wield frost dk tank. We didn't beat the encounter yet.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    4

    Great idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Trexokor View Post
    I learned a couple of things about this fight last night while we were attempting it again. There are a couple of key things we changed which would have given us the win had our top DPS rogue not disconnected at the start (he pulls about 3mil in the 5 minutes and we were 2.5mil behind enrage).

    First, there is no reason to use 3 groups of ranged. In fact, I recommend against it. We used 1 group of ranged and 1 group of melee. 7 at range was sufficient to prevent Vile Gas on melee, and is presumably the minimum number. We never got a test on 6, but when 2 of our ranged died at one point, making 5 at range, Vile Gas definitely hit melee.

    So we had 7 people spread out at ranged all in the same general area as each other, and of course all melee and our strongest ranged DPSers on his ass.

    It's a lot easier to organize the spores this way. The only hitch is that one of the spores has to run *away* from everyone else so's not to double-infect either of the groups (since a double DOT, while not always lethal, can hurt very bad).

    We found DPS time for the ranged classes went way up in this scenario. It also let us give healers priority to not move, and in the case of 2 healers getting a spore, the Paladin and Shaman would have priority (in that order) while the Druids would be the first to move out if required.

    Second, as has been mentioned elsewhere I believe, shadow resist does not work on Pungent Blight. It works on everything else though. The fight pretty clearly favors having at least 1 Paladin healer, so Aura Mastery+Shadow Resist should be timed to mitigate some of the thick (0 inhale) blight damage. Because Pungent Blight's timer is just over every 2 minutes, it can be used shortly after the gas enters the room, and then right after each Pungent Blight goes off, to give healers 6 seconds of mitigation before people start dying off to the DOT after the big Pungent Blight blast.

    Damage reduction cooldowns do work on Pungent Blight, as has been noted. Going with the above, that you'll likely have a Paladin healer for this fight, Divine Sacrifice+Divine Guardian makes an invaluable cooldown for this fight. I was able to time my Divine Sacrifice directly before Aura Mastery in each case to mitigate a good amount of damage. One of them was bubbled and kept the party div-sac effect, and the other two used the following macro hit twice:

    /cancelaura Divine Sacrifice
    /cast Divine Sacrifice

    The end result was that when someone screwed up and a few people only got 2 stacks of Inoculated, even those with no damage reduction cooldowns survived with HP to spare, and it's looking like a Holy Paladin will be the key to getting the Flu Shot Shortage achievement on 25.

    Cooldowns ended up being timed like this (and can be used the same way in 10 man from a Holy Paladin):

    - Gas enters room
    - Divine Sacrifice (hit+cancel)
    - Aura Mastery 6 seconds later
    - Pungent Blight #1 starts casting
    - Divine Sacrifice (hit+cancel)
    - Aura Mastery right as Pungent Blight finishes its cast
    - Pungent Blight #2 starts casting
    - Divine Shield + Divine Sacrifice
    - Aura Mastery right as Pungent Blight finishes its cast

    This should pretty much guarantee no deaths.

    Also to note, Shadow Priests should never have to get Inoculated, and therefore make an excellent choice of someone to put at range. The only reason they need to clump up is if they get a spore that the ranged group requires. Dispersion covers enough of the damage that they will be at 0 risk if it's cast during Pungent Blight.
    Thanks Trexokor, the 2 grp idea seems like a really good plan. I'm deffently going to try this tomorrow when we go again.

    Last time we tried with 2 ranged grps and 1 melee grp + all the healers, so they didn't have to move, but we found it very hard to sort out who should run from the melee grp and where to within the 12 sec timer you have on the spores.
    Doing it this way, on of the spores, if 2 in the melee grp can just run away and stand alone, and then go back.

    Another thing is, have anyone else gotten problems with the tanks not getting the buff from the spores?
    Sometimes when we run under Festergut, the tanks are still to far away to get infected.

    Cheers

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Thanks Trexokor, the 2 grp idea seems like a really good plan. I'm deffently going to try this tomorrow when we go again.

    Last time we tried with 2 ranged grps and 1 melee grp + all the healers, so they didn't have to move, but we found it very hard to sort out who should run from the melee grp and where to within the 12 sec timer you have on the spores.
    Doing it this way, on of the spores, if 2 in the melee grp can just run away and stand alone, and then go back.

    Another thing is, have anyone else gotten problems with the tanks not getting the buff from the spores?
    Sometimes when we run under Festergut, the tanks are still to far away to get infected.

    Cheers
    There've been a couple of times that our tanks haven't received the debuff, but I simply assumed it was because the person in the melee group failed at placing themselves correctly. When they get the spore, they need to run directly under the middle of the boss. Healers and Ranged DPS classes need to be standing right at his ass as close as they can without displacing him or attacking from the front, to make sure everyone can be in range. There is no limit to how many the spore can infect, so if it's missing people in range it's a bug.

    However, we found that even if the tanks only managed to get 1 or 2 debuffs, with Divine Sacrifice up and their health pools, they lived the blast with plenty of health and always had a heal come after the blast to live the next hit.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Malefik View Post
    Just an aside, how much DPS are the 2 tanks roughly putting out with Gastric Bloat?

    i.e. where are they roughly sitting on Recount by the end of the fight? 4k, 5k, 6k?
    Here's my guilds WMO of our kill on Wed.
    WoW Meters Online - Combatlog Replay
    and a vid if you want to see how we handled spores
    YouTube - Death by Cupcake VS Festergut

    We had 2 paladins tanking, one got 9 stacks, bubbled, and got another 9 (does work) Our tanks did 4.7k and 3.3k

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Trexokor View Post
    Cooldowns ended up being timed like this (and can be used the same way in 10 man from a Holy Paladin):

    - Gas enters room
    - Divine Sacrifice (hit+cancel)
    - Aura Mastery 6 seconds later
    - Pungent Blight #1 starts casting
    - Divine Sacrifice (hit+cancel)
    - Aura Mastery right as Pungent Blight finishes its cast
    - Pungent Blight #2 starts casting
    - Divine Shield + Divine Sacrifice
    - Aura Mastery right as Pungent Blight finishes its cast

    This should pretty much guarantee no deaths.
    I don't have much experience on the fight yet (only had a couple of attempts on 10-man) but a couple of questions on this healing strategy:

    When you say hit plus cancel Divine Sacrifice - why do you cancel it, and how long do you wait before canceling it?

    Also, why wait 6 seconds after the initial Divine Sacrifice to cast Aura Mastery?

    Do you aim to have both Divine Sacifice AND Aura Mastery active when Pungent Blight finishes casting?

    Thanks in advance!

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzoff View Post
    We had 2 paladins tanking, one got 9 stacks, bubbled, and got another 9 (does work) Our tanks did 4.7k and 3.3k
    Your tanks lost a ton of DPS by bubbling off that "debuff" at 9 stacks.

    On our kill I (prot pally) did 5.8K dps and our feral tank did 5.9K, we beat the enrage by 25 seconds. I picked him up first, got to nine stacks, then our druid taunted. I then hit myslef with hand of salvation to drop 20% of my threat, clicked off righteous fury, and dpsed my ass off until the bear had nine stacks. I then taunted off him, another pally in the raid hit him with hand of salvation, he went kitty and dpsed. Festergut was dead before the bear had to take him back again.

    World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis

    Probably be a little tighter on the enrage after the rogue nerf. 3 rogues over 10K dps = OP.
    Last edited by Akeber; 01-10-2010 at 09:58 AM.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1
    what is the name of the addon that looks like bartender so i can download it
    or could u make an addon pack( just names ) which one ur using on the video from vestergrut

    thanks

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    4
    Tried Trexokor's advise tonight and it worked like a charm. Got him down after wiping to the enrage timer a few times. We switched to 5 healers and then he died with 20 sec. left on the timer.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
    When you say hit plus cancel Divine Sacrifice - why do you cancel it, and how long do you wait before canceling it?
    I cancel it right away, and the reason is because you don't want the party version (Divine Sacrifice) but you do want the raidwide -20% damage taken (Divine Guardian) which sticks around even if you cancel the buff named Divine Sacrifice. It's a 6 second raidwide -20% damage taken and it's awesome. If you keep the Divine Sacrifice buff without bubbling, you'll promptly be blown up by absorbed damage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtime
    Also, why wait 6 seconds after the initial Divine Sacrifice to cast Aura Mastery?
    This is to level out the starting damage. You have to use both of them pretty close to the start so they're up again by Pungent Blight. You could theoretically use them together at the start but I figure 12 seconds of reducing the damage a bit is better than 6 seconds of reducing it by more, since it's really not unhealable in the first place.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtime
    Do you aim to have both Divine Sacifice AND Aura Mastery active when Pungent Blight finishes casting?
    No, I aim to have Divine Guardian on the raid (the -20% raidwide damage taken) when Pungent Blight finishes casting, and I cast Aura Mastery directly after the blast goes off to reduce the chance anyone dies from the shadow ticking aura.

    Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tried Trexokor's advise tonight and it worked like a charm. Got him down after wiping to the enrage timer a few times. We switched to 5 healers and then he died with 20 sec. left on the timer.
    Good to hear. The boomkin who came up with the suggestion will be happy to hear her suggestion helped.
    Last edited by Trexokor; 01-10-2010 at 06:10 PM.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1
    please make a new 10man video.. the jumping was insanely annoying. it's worse than a raptor mount jumping up and down.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    66
    My guild has a problem, because we have a dk, warrior and paladin tank, that we have rotated in 10 man, to try and get one of them to survive. Only the paladin seems to be able to survive the 3 stacks on the boss. Is there anyway in which a dk or warrior can survive this easier? Because warriors lack cds, and dks cds aren't very strong. Is stacking the new high armor gear good for this encounter? For example, the cloak that has 700 armor, the bp with 3800 ect, and the crafted stuff?
    Arms DPS main spec // Prot warrior tank off-spec

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,897
    Quote Originally Posted by doom1992 View Post
    My guild has a problem, because we have a dk, warrior and paladin tank, that we have rotated in 10 man, to try and get one of them to survive. Only the paladin seems to be able to survive the 3 stacks on the boss. Is there anyway in which a dk or warrior can survive this easier? Because warriors lack cds, and dks cds aren't very strong. Is stacking the new high armor gear good for this encounter? For example, the cloak that has 700 armor, the bp with 3800 ect, and the crafted stuff?
    I have tanked this in both 10 and 25 as a warrior, but before I get into that I need to know your healing setup.

    In 25 it is much easier for a warrior because of external cooldowns, I hit last stand first with pain suppression, then I got d-sacced, and finally shield block, hitting shield wall as soon as last stand ended.

    Finally, a lot of people forget that these exist, Indestructible Potion - Item - World of Warcraft, USE THEM they are your best friend on a fight like this.



  15. #55
    We had trouble doing Festergut in 10-man. I have a question. The other tank (druid) and myself (prot warrior) kept dying after the second inhale as the melee swings alone were enough to bash our heads in. During this time, there was only a pally healer healing us I believe.

    What is the method of a tank surviving the second and third inhales? After the first inhale, is one of the raid healers supposed to switch to tank healing for the second and third inhales and then switch back to raid healing after the pungent blight?

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,897
    you should not be dieing to a 2 stack with a paladin healing you unless either the tanks or the paladin is extremely undergeared.



  17. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    your moms house
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by gundecker View Post
    We had trouble doing Festergut in 10-man. I have a question. The other tank (druid) and myself (prot warrior) kept dying after the second inhale as the melee swings alone were enough to bash our heads in. During this time, there was only a pally healer healing us I believe.

    What is the method of a tank surviving the second and third inhales? After the first inhale, is one of the raid healers supposed to switch to tank healing for the second and third inhales and then switch back to raid healing after the pungent blight?
    Be sure your tank healer (the pally in your case) is in melee so he/she doesnt end up getting vile gass and is unable to heal because he/she is vomiting all over the place.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Trexokor View Post
    I learned a couple of things about this fight last night while we were attempting it again. There are a couple of key things we changed which would have given us the win had our top DPS rogue not disconnected at the start (he pulls about 3mil in the 5 minutes and we were 2.5mil behind enrage).

    First, there is no reason to use 3 groups of ranged. In fact, I recommend against it. We used 1 group of ranged and 1 group of melee. 7 at range was sufficient to prevent Vile Gas on melee, and is presumably the minimum number. We never got a test on 6, but when 2 of our ranged died at one point, making 5 at range, Vile Gas definitely hit melee.

    So we had 7 people spread out at ranged all in the same general area as each other, and of course all melee and our strongest ranged DPSers on his ass.

    It's a lot easier to organize the spores this way. The only hitch is that one of the spores has to run *away* from everyone else so's not to double-infect either of the groups (since a double DOT, while not always lethal, can hurt very bad).

    We found DPS time for the ranged classes went way up in this scenario. It also let us give healers priority to not move, and in the case of 2 healers getting a spore, the Paladin and Shaman would have priority (in that order) while the Druids would be the first to move out if required.

    Second, as has been mentioned elsewhere I believe, shadow resist does not work on Pungent Blight. It works on everything else though. The fight pretty clearly favors having at least 1 Paladin healer, so Aura Mastery+Shadow Resist should be timed to mitigate some of the thick (0 inhale) blight damage. Because Pungent Blight's timer is just over every 2 minutes, it can be used shortly after the gas enters the room, and then right after each Pungent Blight goes off, to give healers 6 seconds of mitigation before people start dying off to the DOT after the big Pungent Blight blast.

    Damage reduction cooldowns do work on Pungent Blight, as has been noted. Going with the above, that you'll likely have a Paladin healer for this fight, Divine Sacrifice+Divine Guardian makes an invaluable cooldown for this fight. I was able to time my Divine Sacrifice directly before Aura Mastery in each case to mitigate a good amount of damage. One of them was bubbled and kept the party div-sac effect, and the other two used the following macro hit twice:

    /cancelaura Divine Sacrifice
    /cast Divine Sacrifice

    The end result was that when someone screwed up and a few people only got 2 stacks of Inoculated, even those with no damage reduction cooldowns survived with HP to spare, and it's looking like a Holy Paladin will be the key to getting the Flu Shot Shortage achievement on 25.

    Cooldowns ended up being timed like this (and can be used the same way in 10 man from a Holy Paladin):

    - Gas enters room
    - Divine Sacrifice (hit+cancel)
    - Aura Mastery 6 seconds later
    - Pungent Blight #1 starts casting
    - Divine Sacrifice (hit+cancel)
    - Aura Mastery right as Pungent Blight finishes its cast
    - Pungent Blight #2 starts casting
    - Divine Shield + Divine Sacrifice
    - Aura Mastery right as Pungent Blight finishes its cast

    This should pretty much guarantee no deaths.

    Also to note, Shadow Priests should never have to get Inoculated, and therefore make an excellent choice of someone to put at range. The only reason they need to clump up is if they get a spore that the ranged group requires. Dispersion covers enough of the damage that they will be at 0 risk if it's cast during Pungent Blight.
    Thanks for this advice Trexokor, we used the 2 group split instead of 3 and found the spores much easier to deal with.

    We used 2 tanks, 5 heals and the rest dps, downed him with 6 seconds to spare.

    Last edited by Demongate; 01-12-2010 at 12:12 PM.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1
    As the poster above, thanks for your advice Trexokor, I do have a question though. You mention SPreists should never have to get Inoculated as Dispersion covers the damage. What about other cooldowns like Deterrence (Hunters) Ice Block (Mage) or is it only Damage Reducing cooldowns that work?

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5
    Edited: Upon further review of the logs, the spores DO NOT do damage to the boss. I stupidly saw damage done by myself and assumed it was to the boss. After reviewing the text line by line, the damage done was referring to friendly fire.

    Sorry for any confusion.
    Last edited by Wunhunglo; 01-13-2010 at 12:20 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts