+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Healing VuhDo Tutorial

MouseNo4 Guest

Healing VuhDo Tutorial

This is a very basic and informal tutorial on the very basics of VuhDo setup.

Keep in mind that my current setup is very highly modified to my personal liking. It may not please you personally, so feel free to experiment!

I may add more parts to this guide in the future if this benefits others.

VuhDo, is a very powerful and fully fledged healing UI package that encompasses all aspects of effective healing and can cover all varieties of healer, from shaman to priest, paladin and of course druids. For this tutorial i will only discuss a discipline priest setup (as my paladin, shaman and druid are not healers :P hehe).

Introduction

Hi! /wave

Upon opening VuhDo, once it has been installed, via the Fubar plugin, the minimap icon or the command /vuhdo options, it will look somewhat similar to this:

Dont be concerned about the infinite number of features, as you really only need to modify a few to make VuhDo the single best 5 and 10 man (possibly even 25 man) healing UI package you will ever use.

Spells

The general idea the configuration portion of the addon is designed, is around the same idea the panels/frames themselves are. Individual panels for a section of the addon, such as spells, frame colours, buffs etc. At the bottom of the setup UI, click on the Spells tab to visit that particular portion to begin to modify the bare bones default setup.

Begin by selecting the ''None" button on the top left in the "Modifier Key" window to check the box red for selected. When you click on someone's bar with a mouse button and no keyboard buttons depressed, this is what allocates an action to that.

Now that we have the basic healing setup for clicking the buttons - heal, we need to assign our spells to mouse buttons! On the right of the configuration panel is a window labeled "Mouse Key" (though it should say Mouse Button, but im not about to start picking hairs!). In this window is our mouse buttons which are assigned a text box entry for each spell.

We have Left mouse button, Right mouse button, Middle mouse button and so on. If you prefer to left click on someone's panel to cast flash heal on them, type the exact spell name in the left mouse button's text window. If its typed correctly there will be a word Spell on the right of the text box and the spell name you typed will light up.

Add the rest of your spells to assign them a mouse button each. You can assign a Modifier Key such as Shift, Alt or Ctrl, or even a combination of them. This is done but selecting the corresponding check box button in the Modifier Key window on the left.

You may also assign a spell to the mouse wheel if you like. This is located at the bottom right of this panel.

Panels

Now its time to add important icons and bars to the panel so we know who has our Prayer of Mending, how long the Weakened Soul debuff has left and the duration of our Renew.

Your first thought is the check boxes are probably as mad as me. The check boxes in the "Own HoTs" window signify the location of the buff, HoT or debuff. This is more a personal preference but i prefer to have my buffs inside the rectangle so as to not overlap other players bars, be completely missed or misinterpreted for something else. The latter is also true for the two selected check boxes at the bottom of the window. I find it very easy and efficient to show the buff/debuff/HoT icon that you know very well, so you instantly know what it is in the heat of that boss fight.

I also choose 50% size on the vertical slider in the same window so as to not cover up the bar and hinder my ability to determine what sort of spell or heal is required based on the amount of health left.

In the "Hot Order" window is a bunch of drop down menu's that allow you to choose in which order your buffs will appear on each player's panel. This is also personal preference and makes little difference which order they are in, as long as they are all shown so you always can see who has your valuable PoM or Pain Suppression.

Hit Apply All button on the bottom right when you are done.

Panels - HoT Bars

Since this is designed mostly around Discipline Priest, this isnt overly necessary, but im a priest who loves using as close to all of my abilities as possible. So with this in mind, i bring you, the HoT bar controls! Click the HoT Bars button on the bottom right to visit the above panel.

Another bit of personal preference, but i choose to display my Renew bar at the top of a player's panel so as to always remain seen and visible. In the HoT bars window, select the position of the Renew bar inside the grey panel that you like. The renew will be ''1'' as we only have one HoT. I slide the vertical size bar to 25% as renew isnt as important to heal, but to top up so its size indicates its importance to our job.

In the HoT Order window, select the drop down menu in slot 1 and select your Renew.

Hit Apply All when done. :P

Debuffs

In this section, we will need to go back to the General tab. Once there, hit the Custom button under the Debuffs title. For the purposes of this tutorial, i will omit the right side window and focus on the two left ones.

The top left window titled (De)Buffs Defaults applies to both Debuffs and Buffs so keep this in mind. The only really important buttons in this particular window are the buttons Timer and Icon. Timer shows a number for duration and time remaining. Knowing the exact second the Weakened Soul debuff will fade is a very important feature to have as Discipline Priests rely heavily on PWS.

Icon is more for instant identification so the quicker you notice it the more efficient the healer you will become. Animation isnt really needed but ... well ... it looks good ... so why not! You can add sound if you like, but i doubt its worth it as the sounds of battle will far outweigh the sound from the debuff appearing.

The next window down is the precise placement of the debuffs. This is personal preference so i leave this up to you. I chose equivalent scale to my buffs, opposing positions on the panel and corner.

Now the final part! Its time to save all your hard work. Select the Spells panel again, and then the Misc button on the right side of the panel. I will only focus on the Manage Key Layouts section of this panel for this short tutorial. This is mainly for saving your configuration and also for dual spec. In the blank text entry box at the bottom of the window, Type in the configuration name you wish, select the Spec your spells relate to - My second spec is Discipline (oddly enough) and click the Save As button.

Finally hit the Apply button to apply the Layout.

Thats it!

This is only a very brief cut down tutorial on VuhDo's features and functions, but is designed to get you off the ground in 5 seconds flat. (well maybe not exactly 5 seconds)

Enjoy and have fun! And remember, though you may follow my tutorial to the letter, your panels wont look exactly 100% like mine, as i have heavily edited mine - far beyond the scope of this tutorial.
    Last edited by MouseNo4; 01-06-2010 at 06:37 AM.

Great tutorial, I've been using VuhDo for my whole healing career and I learned some new things by reading this! I actually bought a 5 button mouse because of VuhDo !

Thanks again!
    "You must be the change in the world you wish to see"

I'm a big Vuhdu fan... i use it even on my tank toons to bind spells to certain clicks on people etc etc.

MouseNo4 Guest
    I no longer view these forums, so feel free to post whatever you like in this thread.

Something I like to add from the FAQ on the VuhDo wiki:

Q: Is it possible to target a player on click instead of healing him?

A: Just enter "target" instead of a spell name in spell options. You can also use "focus", "assist" and "tell" as commands.

EDIT: In fact, here's a link to the VuhDo documentation wiki if you want a more in depth view of all the commands and features available to you: http://vuhdo.ithato.com/tiki-index.php

I love vuhdo on my tank for its "Target of Target" function, and for it's buff system as it can remind me to put vigilance on my selected target if I've forgotten.

I use Vuhdo for my Pally healer and it has replaced grid for my overall raid frames.

I use it as a raid frame replacement on all of my toons now. I seem to find some use for it with any class (example: set up for MD's with my Hunter).

Somehow, I never heard of this addon until reading this post.

I have now replaced Healbot on my shammy and couldn't be happier. It took a little tweaking but this addon is AWESOME.

One thing I'd like to ask: Is there any way to put hot/debuff icons next to the unit's frame without having a 2 inch padding gap between columns? I reduced spacing as far as it would go and it still made the raid group fram 2x larger than it was. I'm making due with the icons reduced in size and sitting in the corners of the frame but I'd like them sitting next to it if possible.

I have been using Vuhdo for a year, I love it! I admit I have never really used Healbot or Grid + Clique, I made a 2 hour attemp to set each up before trashing them.

I have never felt overwhelmed with this addon. It is so simple and quick to set up that I had it downloaded and was raiding with it within an hour. Best of all it does not slow down my game and is always up to date.

Prior to Vuhdo I was using mouse-over macros with simple raid frames, I did not think my computer could handle an addon like this and I thought it was too much trouble to learn... Fights like Hodir and Freya changed my mind.

As mentioned above, it works for more than just healers. My Shadow priest has all her spells setup on Vuhdo, I click a person on my raid frame and my spell is cast on their target.

Quote Originally Posted by Amallthia View Post
    As mentioned above, it works for more than just healers. My Shadow priest has all her spells setup on Vuhdo, I click a person on my raid frame and my spell is cast on their target.
    I find that really interesting. Do you just add [target=targettarget]to your mouse over macros?

OK I have instaled this for my Paly Holy spec couple of items I want to ask.

Mouse over and using the keyboard where do I set that up?
    I seem to like both where I click the mouse on the pannel ang get a spell but also like just mousing over the pannel and using the keyboard.

Can I do this in VooDuh?

The other item is can I disable VooDuh in game? Grid and others have this ability but I am not finding it in the menu options.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by HDEagle71 View Post
    OK I have instaled this for my Paly Holy spec couple of items I want to ask.

Mouse over and using the keyboard where do I set that up?
    I seem to like both where I click the mouse on the pannel ang get a spell but also like just mousing over the pannel and using the keyboard.

Can I do this in VooDuh?

The other item is can I disable VooDuh in game? Grid and others have this ability but I am not finding it in the menu options.

Thanks,
    All the mouse over stuff is located in the Spells tab, you can set bindings or clicks for it there. As far as disabling it I don't think there is a way to turn the mod off, but you can set it to not show if you are, say, solo or in a 5 man, or in a raid. Options for that I think are under General -> Skins? I'll have to look for the specific paths when I log on.

+ Reply to Thread