I'm the off-tank (25) for a guild that burned its 10 for the week. This means I controlled the abomination. I had a question about your people's experience with the oozes (both gas and volatile) targetting for their fixates.
Based on our position strategy, I would customarily be able to consume growing green goo puddles while being in range of freshly-spawned Gases or Volatile oozes. Since ability 3 (the devastate-like special that does about 10k, 20kcrit) is on a separate cooldown from consume-goo ability, I would try to attack the freshly-spawning adds while working on my consumptionso as to be useful. While doing this, I found that the ooze's fixate would sometimes reset, that is he would cast and then do nothing and recast and do nothing, etc. This would end up jacking up our raid DPS assignments/plans counting on a victim being chosen (and not getting close to an ooze until it had fixated). From a handful of data points, it appeared this behavior was correlated to me (the abom) hitting the ooze hard. Someone in the raid also suggested the ooze's fixates were interruptible, but no one tested it.
Has anyone experienced similar behavior? Or can illuminate if there is any predictability behind the ooze fixate targets?
Random other notes for off-tanks relegated to abom control-duty:
- Two goo piles will spawn at the same rate that adds spawn (2 new goo piles per new add)
- It takes 13ish goo consumes to build enough energy to cast your snare (which is vitally important).
- If you immediately begin consuming goo piles until they disappear, it is possible to energy-starve yourself from having enough goo energy to cast snare, since you can kill off a puddle pretty fast. As such, when the overall room-goo population is relatively low, you should view your goo-eating duties as "farming"; that is, allow the piles to grow some and then harvesting without killing them.
- Spamming consume nonstop and having to move periodically will give you enough to afford a bit over 1 snare-ability (#2) per add spawn. Every few add spawns you may be able to bank enough to allow 2 snares on an add for which DPS is underperforming.
- Your #3 ability applies the same debuff as sunder armor, and also stacks 5 times, it lasts 20 seconds.
- Your #2 ability (snare) has a travel time, but has a huge range. When a new ooze add spawns, you don't need to snare it immediately since they cast a fixate for about 2 seconds after spawning. Make sure (accounting for travel time) that the snare is applied when the ooze becomes mobile.
- Your #1 ability is only castable while 'on top' of a goo puddle. The state of "being on a goo puddle" is updated slowly, meaning you can run onto a puddle, but your #1 ability won't be usable for another 3-seconds or so. Being on the puddle seemeed to (anecdotally) update faster if I strafed around a lot on top of a pile. Similarly, you can continue to cast #1 even after you moved *away* from a puddle and it will still consume from the puddle you used to be on. You can try to play tricks with this to sneak away from puddles for 0.5-1.0s(isH) and attack shit while still being able consume on CD.
- If 3 goo piles are up at the same time, you've fallen behind. In cases like this, it may be worthwhile to identify freshly-spawned puddles and nip them in the bud (i.e kill them off in ~3 consumes), and let a larger puddle just continue to expand until you can get to it.