Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: ICC - Professor Putricide

ICC - Professor Putricide

I put this together for my guild's site, figured I would go ahead and post it here as well for anyone interested. This is nothing more then a compilation of some info without personal testing at this point. Many things will likely be adjusted/tweaked after we run through this place

25m Putricide Encounter
    (very speculative info based off limited PTR - numbers/abilities subject to change, don't rely on any of this info until more testing has been done; this is just to give people an idea of what they could expect in the fight)

***UPDATE 1-11-10***
    Slight mechanic change / bug fix / nerf
    • Professor Putricide's Tear Gas will no longer remove player auras.
    • The Growing Ooze Puddles in the Professor Putricide encounter will no longer continue to grow while players are stunned.
    Source: http://blue.mmo-champion.com/23/2241...-2010--14.html

***UPDATE***
    TankSpot Videos: Putricide Guide (both 10m & 25m videos)

***UPDATE 1-6-09***
    Apparently both 10 & 25m are supposed to only use 1 abom
    MMO-Champion BlueTracker - Professor Putricide

Tankspot Thread: http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f128/...putricide.html
    Wowhead: Professor Putricide - NPC - World of Warcraft
    WoW Wiki: Professor Putricide - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft

General Info
    • 42 Million HP (25m)
    • Only 10 attempts per week
    • Control fight, will require correct split of DPS on Boss, Gas, Ooze and players that transform into Abominations
    • OT designed for controlling the Abom (tank swap after abom removed in phase 3)

Fight Mechanics

• Mutated Abomination: Player drinks a potion on the table and turn into an abomination. Has the ability to Eat Ooze (consumes slime pool), Regurgitate Ooze (slows targets by 50% & deal 8288-8712 damage every 2 seconds, allows players to more easily kiting things), Mutated Slash (100% weapon damage and reduces the target's resistance to physical damage by 4% for 20 seconds. Stacks up to 5 times)
    • Slime Puddle: Putricide throws a vial of Mutated Slime at a random player, creating a puddle of slime at the targets location that does 5363-5637 every second to anyone standing in it. This puddle will expand and do 4388-4612 per second until it is consumed by a mutated abomination.
    • Choking Gas Bomb: Putricide throws Gas Bombs around him that deal 5363-5637 per second and explodes for 15600-16400 after 20 seconds. Everyone in the raid avoid the bombs and if needed Tank will kite the boss away from it.
    • Gaseous Bloat Infects a player and does 1.4k to 1.5k every 2 seconds and remove a stack of bloat. Choking Gas follows that player and if it reaches them it will Expunge Gas exploding and hurting everyone around it depending on how bloated the player is. Player should kite the cloud while ranged burn it down (Melee can't do this because they would take 6338-6662 damage and choke reducing your chance to hit by 75% for 15 seconds.
    • Volatile Ooze: Targets random raid member, sticks to them and roots them in place. Inflicts 6338-6662 damage per second and the Volatile Ooze will move toward the target. Melee must group up and burn the Ooze before it reaches the target otherwise it will explode once it reaches them and deal 68250-71750 damage split among all nearby targets. If the melee are grouped up they might survive the explosion because it is split between enough players but definitely should be avoided.

Possible Mechanics
    • Unstable Experiment: Similar to Thadius polarity it may assign people either an Ooze or or Gas variable which may effect them by only allowing them to attack targets of that type & the boss
    • Slime Pipes: May be a slime pipe mechanic which will flood parts of the room and will require someone to stop them by clicking the appropriate object (possibly by the door)

Limited Strategy (Expect multiple changes as the encounter is tested on live)
    • MT picks up boss
    • Designated player drink potions to turn into Abominations (Usually the OT), eat gas, regurgitate ooze to slow targets & mutated slash the ads & boss to increase DPS
    • Raid stay away from ooze, gas clouds and bombs
    • DPS burn ooze, gas & boss

Notes
    • Pay attention for Putricide's shadowcrash type mechanic where he throws vials at people
    • DPS switch and burn gas and oozes HARD so that they don't reach their targets (Ooze must be killed quickly and everyone group up if it reaches it's rooted target to split the explosion damage. Gas should be kited and never reach it's target)
    • Abom must eat all the slime and slow ooze/gas as they spawn. Debuff ads/boss whenever possible but MUST handle slime/ads correctly.
    Last edited by Squirrelnut; 01-13-2010 at 11:32 AM.

All information on this boss fight is super-speculative. Essentially, this boss was not "really" tested [Yes, a few guilds in the EU got one attempt before it broke].

What info out there could be right, or it could be horribly wrong. This is why I passed on writing a pre-release guide for this boss. I would hate to have 90% of the info I researched change (which is likely), and be the "blame" for wipes on a boss with limited attempts.

As soon as I can identify a working strat on the boss, I will have it up.
    Last edited by Spiritus; 01-05-2010 at 01:02 PM.

True but the more information the better and I link to abilities from wowhead. Never expected this to be a 'guide', it is more of an initial help for people that have no clue what to expect. I expect TankSpot will come out with an actual Guide once the encounter has been tested

Yup, every bit helps. Thanks for the consolidation!

just finished this on 10 man, did that first so we wouldn't waste attempts on 25man. Highly recommend doing that.

did you get him down?
    Xíanth <Valkyria>

Can't down the bitch to bugs in 25man...

Just killed him a bit earlier on 10man. Fun fight. One thing that might help guilds is to know from start that you should use 2 tanks. One tank tanks professor from the start. The second tank should be on abom duty until the final phase.

Once the final phase starts, that tank is dropped from abom form. The boss starts applying a debuff to the initial tank. I won't go into detail about how the debuff works (there's info on wowinfo sites about it), but I'll tell you how we worked it out. The initial tank continues tanking the boss, while kiting him around ooze puddles and other obstacles, until he reaches 3 stacks of the debuff. Then the other tank taunts and takes over. The initial tank runs away from the raid, since they will be doing aoe damage to nearby players at this time. Once the second tank reaches 3 stacks, the initial tank re-taunts the boss and takes over again and the relieved tank runs away from the raid till it's his turn to tank again. We kept switching tanks like this and never allowed the debuff to fully wear off of one of the tanks, since I believe it heals the boss for quite a bit when it fades. We went 3 stacks on the first tank, 3 stacks on the second tank, then killed him while the first tank was on the the boss again (not sure how many stacks she had by then).

We used only 1 tank at first. Our first time reaching the final phase, we just had one tank on him the whole time and tried to burn. We got the boss to like 10% before we all blew up due to the damage from the tank debuff. We did not have heroism for this final phase because we burned it at the start of that fight. If we had hero, we might have been able to kill him. So who knows, that might work as well on 10man if your dps is good enough.
    Last edited by Dragaan; 01-06-2010 at 02:13 AM.

What bugs in 25 man?

25man bug

Apparently only 1 person can drink the Abom potion on 25man, unknown if this is intended or not.
    ICC 7/9 http://www.hysteriaguild.net/ -Recruiting CasterDPS(esp SPreist)

Randomly you would be unable to get more than 1 abomination and as the fight progresses he spawns more slime puddles. You get overwhelmed by them.

We consistently got 2 aboms in 25-man, but we found it was easier to manage energy with just one abom, due to the amount of slime pools available.

I don't know what the normal behavior is, whether it's 1 abom only or as many aboms as you want.

Putricide is grossly overtuned for a normal mode encounter.

Think of it this way. If not a single guild can kill it in a night in 25 man mode, and only 122 in 10 man mode... he's overtuned. I'd expect that sort of difficulty from heroic mode.

The abom needs to be able to eat slime faster, and cast the slow more easily. This would let the Abom be used in an offensive role more, rather than standing in place mashing the 1 key nonstop. The hp of the oozes and clouds needs to be reduced as well.

25 man should also be tuned so that 3 aboms is possible, that makes sense, 1 abom in ten, 3 in 25.

Given the immense Tuesday lag on my server I still have almost all of my ten man attempts left and all my 25, it wasn't worth wasting them, but I know we are planning to wait on 25 putricide till Monday, expecting a hotfix.

I think many did not attempt in 25man, preferring to see the fight in 10man first. Also, many people were certain that the boss would be buggy the first night due to nearly zero PTR testing. I think you'll see many "server first" guilds wait a day or two to make sure the kinks are smoothed out.

Apparently, this was said by someone at blizzard...

Just as a point of clarification. The Professor Putricide encounter is working as intended. You are only allowed one abomination up at any given time in both 10 player and 25 player modes.

World of Warcraft - English (NA) Forums -> Professor Putricide

Quote Originally Posted by Regill View Post

Think of it this way. If not a single guild can kill it in a night in 25 man mode, and only 122 in 10 man mode... he's overtuned. I'd expect that sort of difficulty from heroic mode.

The abom needs to be able to eat slime faster, and cast the slow more easily. This would let the Abom be used in an offensive role more, rather than standing in place mashing the 1 key nonstop. The hp of the oozes and clouds needs to be reduced as well.

25 man should also be tuned so that 3 aboms is possible, that makes sense, 1 abom in ten, 3 in 25.

Given the immense Tuesday lag on my server I still have almost all of my ten man attempts left and all my 25, it wasn't worth wasting them, but I know we are planning to wait on 25 putricide till Monday, expecting a hotfix.
    I Disagree, the tuning is fine and welcome personally (favorite encounter in all of lich king).

The only reason its any sort of issue at all is the 10 attempt limit. If that wasn't in, a ton of guilds (including mine) would have killed him the first night. I can't stand limited attempt mechanics and prefer harder fights with unlimited attempts over gimmick fights.

Here was my description based on the Deus Vox video above:

So I'll try and break down the video and the fight.

It's a 3-phase fight.

Phase 1 lasts to 80%. During this Putricide will do unstable experiments that will either do the gas cloud (which should be kited while being killed by ranged) or the volatile ooze (which everyone needs to group up on the guy targeted while DPSing). The volatile ooze especially seems to cause problems; it can do a lot of damage. The mutated abom eats the slime and uses his abilities on the oozes to slow them down and cause them to take more damage.

Phase 2 lasts to 35%. Putricide has the abilities above, and does two others. The first is the choking gas bomb, which is dropped near where he is and cause him to be kited away before they explode. The second is the malleable ooze, which targets a random player and has a good AoE damage as well as a slowing effect.

Phase 3 removes the two adds that spawn. He retains his phase 2 abilities. He also apparently cancels the mutated abom existence, which means that it's similar to Lady Vashj; eventually the room will fill with slime and you'll wipe because of that. (it could be that this isn't a requirement and the reason it happened here is because one of the tanks was the abom). He gains an ability called mutated plague, which lasts 60 seconds and gets put on every 10 seconds (which refreshes the stack). Here's the wowhead link:
    Mutated Plague - Spell - World of Warcraft

The mutating plague does AoE damage to the raid (centered on the tank), not just the tank. It multiplies, so one stack does 200, 2 do 400, 3 do 1200. 5 stacks appear to do around 8k. You can outrange it.

What's interesting to note is that it looks like if the target of mutated plague dies or the stack falls off, putricide heals for a ton. Which means tank switches are needed to keep stacks reasonable between the two (as they apparently multiply damage) but you can't allow the plague to drop off, ever. So the trick is going to manage the tank stacks so that the raid isn't taking too much but he's reasonably tauntable.

In the video they appear to last for about 9 total stacks; they split it 5/4 on the tanks, taunting after 3 and then taunting back after another 3, then taunting at 5.

No clue whether divine shield works to clear it, but I doubt it.

Obviously P3 is where we'd want to use our bloodlust and any DPS cooldowns. Prior to this there's nothing like a race.

Quote Originally Posted by felhoof View Post
    Here was my description based on the Deus Vox video above:
    I can't see it. I've looked for like 2 minutes and I can't see a DV vid.

I did find this one on youtube though: YouTube - Deus Vox - Professor Putricide 10 man HD

That's the one; sorry, it was linked in another thread. Same deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Regill View Post
    His difficulty is fine on 10man. It might seem overwhelming at first because of the unique mechanics and the fact that you only have 10 attempts this week, but overall it's an easy fight. The damage is not very high and controlling the abominations is really easy. In a week or two, tons of guilds will be farming this no problem.