+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 149

Thread: New rewards from Oculus

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    AZ (Zonie)
    Posts
    376
    Occ is an instance that I finished, with my guild, almost a year ago, vowing never to return, even for the void achieves. It was only satisfying, at the very end, when the dragon went down.

    Now, I seem to draw it a lot, and I will do it, since I know it's been nerfed, and all...

    Except, now, when the dragon dies, I don't even do a little dance, or type "woot--die, sucker!"

    Might as well be Hannibal Lector, eating his fava beans...

    As to the bugs--

    Yesterday, I experienced my drake rising up and up above Eregos, without any ability to stop, until I was out of range. All I could do was cheerlead, and hit time stop, which didn't seem to have a range (interesting, eh?). Since it was on normal mode (hey, two badges, for the first run), the group was able to kill him, with only my measly time stop, to help them. I have to say, I found that both annoying, and a little thrilling, at the same time.

    The rez-lose Drake thing is a bug, because it doesn't always happen. Not sure if it's supposed to, or not, so the bug could be either way.

    The second boss, yes, I like to clear the blue drakes from anywhere near his platform. There's always one that aggros, just before the fight. But, there should be someone, preferably the tank, or red drake rider, who is the last to land, at all the platforms, just in case of accidental aggro.

    Lately, that isn't going to happen, because everyone is in such a huge hurry. It's more likely the healer who is last to land...

    And, I've also experienced a bug where no one can attack that second boss, which essentially ends the whole encounter...
    -"Just like a buzzin' fly, I come into your life, I'll float away, like honey in the sun..."--Tim Buckley

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    941
    Oculus is the most well designed/balanced/thought out instance ever created. You even get to ride DRAKES! How cool is that! God bless Oculus, and God bless Blizzard.

    True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    913
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulia View Post
    It just seems silly that people would drop group in an instance that can be completed before, or right around when the Dungeon Cooldown ends, even with fail puggers.
    A perfectly good reason is to boycott the instance in order to send a message to Blizzard that you don't like it. Eventually, they'll get it.

    Note that I, personally, have never abandoned a group, in the Oculus or elsewhere without good reason (chain wipes, harassment, etc.). But I certainly don't see anything wrong with people who want to make a statement here.

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pontiac,Mi
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by robbon View Post
    But the point is people still wont run it no matter what blizz do to entice people to try it.

    My own personal experience of the instance is negative. If it was the first instance ever run in wow i would probably have stopped playing there and then.

    Once blizz change tanking in cataclysm you wont have this problem of 15min timers for tanks.

    As for wait times - we have a guild, we have players who have alts and we all have alts dps/healers/tanks we try, as much as possible to pair with groups in the guild for the random daily at the least.. this cuts queue times and ensures a moderate amount of communication and speed. It also pretty much guarentees success at minimal time/cost.

    For an entire group to leave you in 20 seconds doesnt say anything about you or your ability as a tank..its the instance. As for your ability to lead..sure you probably could baby sit them through it but the fact remains "People simply dont like it". For a lot of people this is a fun game and occulus sucks the fun right out of it for them.

    This entire thread is not about trying to convert you to the "i hate occulus and it should be removed from the game" camp or converting me to the "its piss easy just run it" - even if you have to re-train every nab dps that drops in to the run and doesnt know how to dismount camp.

    The thread is about the fact that blizzard know people hate it, blizzard know that the majority bail on it and they want to change that by enticing you in with phat loot.

    The problem is, people still dont like it and a different coloured loot is no carrot.
    -I was enticed by it.

    -That kind of thinking about tanking in cata is the sentiment I feel is going to hurt the face of tanking a bit. If there's an influx of makeshift tanks, whats quality control have to say about this? "well we had to please them someway"

    -I've lead many successful OC runs. It's more of simply taking a firm foot and tone assuring them that if they do what you've wrote out for them, it'll go pain free.

    -The thread is not also one stating that it's piss easy even if you have to retrain people. It's saying that it has been regeared yes, but to get as cynical as to say "retrain every nab dps." You realize that's a one sentence fix and nothing like training chimps to go into space.

    -In many parts of this game, the more difficult something is.. the better the loot. I knew alot of people that facesmashed on Heroic Shadow Labs, etc etc.
    Generally speaking the hard places get the good loots! Personally I ran the place everyday for a piece that I wanted before I got in naxx.

    -It may be no carrot, but the different color sure was tasty :3
    The most stressful, yet provides the most gratification..
    Tanking <3

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    470
    I'm surprised this thread hasn't been closed, seeing as it degenerated pretty quickly.

    I think the real reason that there's all this hostility about the instance is because it comes up in the random queues, and used to be a daily. Since it's a vehicle instance, it's different from the others in that your normal abilities don't apply. Although it's nothing unusual in games to have areas that play differently than the rest of them, it makes it annoying for those who don't like the instance that it interferes with their daily heroic. Maybe the best way to do it would be to remove the instance from the random queue all together, and make it a separate side dungeon that people can do, maybe to give them nice rewards like bonus emblems, bonus drops, etc. Maybe shift the normal items it drops there to other dungeons, and make it drop BoA items for people to get. That would be rather fun, and if they did that they could even un-nerf again, or even make it harder, since it would be entirely optional. After all, although slightly non-sequiter, in Dragon Quest V (the remake for the DS, anyway) do you know where you get the best weapon in the game? The casino. Totally optional mini-game. People like mini-games that are different, especially if there are nice rewards to be had, but they don't much care for being "forced" to do them. That's the driving issue here, I think.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by Inaara View Post
    Oculus is the most well designed/balanced/thought out instance ever created. You even get to ride DRAKES! How cool is that! God bless Oculus, and God bless Blizzard.
    I see what you did there.

    So, anyone see the newest set of changes? on Worldofraids:

    The Oculus had some additional changes made. The Planar Anomlies during the Eregos encounter will have a shorter duration and do reduced damage, some of the drakes above Varos’s platform have been removed, and the drakes controlled by players will move a little faster.

    Why don't they just give us some cheat codes to instakill everything in the isntance and shower us with gold and frost emblems? The palce is simple as all get out to begin with and they keep making it easier.

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the cloud.
    Posts
    2,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Eravian View Post
    I'm surprised this thread hasn't been closed, seeing as it degenerated pretty quickly.

    I think the real reason that there's all this hostility about the instance is because it comes up in the random queues, and used to be a daily. Since it's a vehicle instance, it's different from the others in that your normal abilities don't apply. Although it's nothing unusual in games to have areas that play differently than the rest of them, it makes it annoying for those who don't like the instance that it interferes with their daily heroic. Maybe the best way to do it would be to remove the instance from the random queue all together, and make it a separate side dungeon that people can do, maybe to give them nice rewards like bonus emblems, bonus drops, etc. Maybe shift the normal items it drops there to other dungeons, and make it drop BoA items for people to get. That would be rather fun, and if they did that they could even un-nerf again, or even make it harder, since it would be entirely optional. After all, although slightly non-sequiter, in Dragon Quest V (the remake for the DS, anyway) do you know where you get the best weapon in the game? The casino. Totally optional mini-game. People like mini-games that are different, especially if there are nice rewards to be had, but they don't much care for being "forced" to do them. That's the driving issue here, I think.
    There are bonus emblems, you now get 2 triumphs, some blue gems and a chance at a new mount. Taking it off the random rotation just makes it a special case, which it's not. That would be like taking HOR off because it's hard and requires a skilled tank and heals to get past the first 2 bosses.

    EDIT: Another point, it wasn't hard before the nerf....I wouldn't mind if they kept it as-is and made it "difficult" again. I'd still never bail on the group right after joining.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    13
    I will be dropping Occulus in the future, not because it sucks or anything (imo its the worst of all the instances, just because the trash is so annoying) but because my system (I play on a laptop) dies in there. I tanked it once, last weekend, first time I've been in there since my main (a mage) did it in January of 09, and we wiped twice. Partially because i was running with a huntard who didn't bother misdirecting to me even when I requested, but mostly because my system was so slow I wasn't able to maintain a proper 969 rotation because my system was so laggy. All the light effects, etc, just kill me, even when my system settings are turned low.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Roana View Post
    A perfectly good reason is to boycott the instance in order to send a message to Blizzard that you don't like it. Eventually, they'll get it.

    Note that I, personally, have never abandoned a group, in the Oculus or elsewhere without good reason (chain wipes, harassment, etc.). But I certainly don't see anything wrong with people who want to make a statement here.
    Well, I actually later mentioned why it's a problem and goes way beyond simply making a statement. It does affect the experience of other players by more than an insignificant amount.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    There are bonus emblems, you now get 2 triumphs, some blue gems and a chance at a new mount. Taking it off the random rotation just makes it a special case, which it's not. That would be like taking HOR off because it's hard and requires a skilled tank and heals to get past the first 2 bosses.

    EDIT: Another point, it wasn't hard before the nerf....I wouldn't mind if they kept it as-is and made it "difficult" again. I'd still never bail on the group right after joining.
    Yeah, I never meant to imply that it was hard before, or that people should bail on it, just that I think people don't like it mainly because the drakes are something different than what they're used to, and it interferes with their badge farming. I personally don't drop out of the queue if I get it (in some ways I almost like it better, because it's a change of pace and it's short), but my point was rather than continuing to make it a heroic that drops bonus rewards because you have to do parts of it on dragons, it may be better to just take it out of the rotation and actually MAKE it a special case. That way people just trying to farm badges don't have to do it if they don't like it, but those who want to do something different can go and do the special Oculus zone. Then they could make it as difficult as they wanted, and just give whatever rewards they wanted accordingly.

    But that's just my two cents, since I think it would work better than just making it more and more rewarding while making it easier and easier to run.

  11. #91
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulia View Post
    Well, I actually later mentioned why it's a problem and goes way beyond simply making a statement. It does affect the experience of other players by more than an insignificant amount.
    Not to get all GC on you, but are you just saying that, cuz I doubt you can prove it? I mean the very first time I used LFG solo I got dc-ed halfway through pulling trash. By the time I relogged (no less than 5 minutes latter) I was already replaced by another tank. Granted this was the first week so possibly LFG was flooded with tanks.

    But the last 3 weeks I've been queueing exclusively as dps (solo) and the queue time has been around 10 minutes on off hours, much less at peak time. Given that a group who loses a member (afk outs of ready check, vote kicked, drops group) gets put at the front of the queue... a tank gets replaced relatively quickly still.

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffin Man View Post
    Not to get all GC on you, but are you just saying that, cuz I doubt you can prove it? I mean the very first time I used LFG solo I got dc-ed halfway through pulling trash. By the time I relogged (no less than 5 minutes latter) I was already replaced by another tank. Granted this was the first week so possibly LFG was flooded with tanks.

    But the last 3 weeks I've been queueing exclusively as dps (solo) and the queue time has been around 10 minutes on off hours, much less at peak time. Given that a group who loses a member (afk outs of ready check, vote kicked, drops group) gets put at the front of the queue... a tank gets replaced relatively quickly still.
    I'm not the only person that has experienced 20 minute + queue times as a DPS, and when the average wait time says "11 minutes" (I've actually seen it say about 20 before) that includes all of the queue times of under 30 seconds that the healers and tanks get, which means there are people waiting even longer than 20 minutes.

    In that same vein,the majority of time, waiting for a tank is a much longer wait than waiting for a DPS or a healer. Just because once or twice you experienced short wait times doesn't reflect the wait times as a whole? See where I'm going? It would be awfully difficult to prove and require data that I can't really gather in true objectiveness because I don't have access to that data which Blizzard may have on some server somewhere. The best I could do is rely on people to give honest answers to surveys and collect data from thousands of such sources to formulate an answer.

    However, my point was never really on how having a Tank leaving is worse than a DPS leaving, that was someone else's point. And, ultimately, I don't want to argue. I made my statement about why dropping a group because you don't like an instance hurts other people. You don't have to agree with me, it's your right and I respect that.

  13. #93
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,681
    Certainly, I realize that I can't prove anything either. And I do have the fortune of playing on a a battlegroup with 3 high-pop/locked servers. So queue times are always short where I am.

    I'll also agree that leaving a group inconveniences other people, but I do disagree with you because it's an option for a reason. It's not an empty right.

    I didn't like the tone that others were taking that it was morally wrong as a tank to drop group, as if the game revolved around tanks (yes I know I'm on tankspot so people are more likely to feel that way here). I'm not sure why I quoted your post instead of the others since you weren't taking that stance, but I guess it's too late to quote someone else .

  14. #94
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    375
    I'm not in favor of this change. Lame and bad players leave occulus. As a result, the people who stay tend to be good. 4 of the 5 best pug groups I've had have been in Occulus. All of those 4 were fast enough for make it count. 2 of them were 5 ambers and 1 was 5 reds (yes, I said 5 reds). With this change, the retards might stay. I'm sad. I don't leave, I stick it out. Even if I have to teach someone who hasn't done it before. Doing 10 random daily heroics a day I can't afford to wait the queue time (10 toons is a lot of work ). If I'm tanking, I lead the group. If I'm not tanking I say what to do, unless the tank takes over and then I shut up and let them lead. Several times, people get the achievement for doing Occulus for the first time. Sometimes even more than one of them even with getting make it count. I'm able to tell them what to do as we move along so it doesn't take long.

    My philosophy for this thread is the same as it is in my guilds 10 man runs when we debate, "Do we run 2 10 man groups this week or 3?". That is, as long as you treat it like its hard, it will always be hard. Do 3 groups and more people learn the instance and those who aren't doing well will wake up and fix themselves and stop being carried. 2 strong groups that full clear is more damaging to the long-term health of our guild than 3 groups that have to struggle a bit and might not even fully clear the place. Treat it like it's hard, and it becomes hard.

  15. #95
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffin Man View Post
    I'll also agree that leaving a group inconveniences other people, but I do disagree with you because it's an option for a reason. It's not an empty right.

    I didn't like the tone that others were taking that it was morally wrong as a tank to drop group, as if the game revolved around tanks (yes I know I'm on tankspot so people are more likely to feel that way here). I'm not sure why I quoted your post instead of the others since you weren't taking that stance, but I guess it's too late to quote someone else .
    Well, let's just be clear here. I never said that anyone had the right to keep other people from leaving, or the right to require that no one leaves. That's ridiculous, and vastly more inconvenient for everyone than people leaving is for a group.

    However, I will say that the "leave the group" option is NOT so that you can leave dungeons that you don't like. My evidence? The Dungeon Cooldown. If Blizzard didn't want the dungeon to be truly random, there wouldn't be a cooldown on the timer, which forces people to wait if they don't like what they got. Furthermore, if we got to be that choosy, I doubt we'd even have a random option, you'd just choose whatever dungeon you wanted for your daily, since it would be virtually the same effect.

    Leaving a group is for after the 15 minutes, say the group is failing badly and you don't want to pay yet more repair bills, etc... then you leave the group. It's also for "gotta go, real life stuff." or "I forgot I had a raid" sort of stuff. Which is also why you can never truly judge any individual that leaves, since you never know.

    And you're right. The tone became hostile and overly harsh, however, I did make a point that anyone leaving a group because they don't like the dungeon is a slightly selfish act. Not just the tank or just the healer or just the dps, anyone. However, it's your choice to make it and it's not anyone's right to require that you stay or to abuse you until you stay or to otherwise make you feel guilty for not staying. Your choices are your own, regardless of whether or not they have negative consequences for other people.

  16. #96
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,909
    I like Oculus, it's easy.

  17. #97
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    467
    i dont think anyone disagrees with the point that "its easy". Its definitely not hard. Its just a simple point that "some people dont like it".

    As someone pointed out, it different and because of that it can be frustrating.

    We had it as a random last night and as i was with a 4/5 guild group i had my arm twisted to go and went. I complained like hell that i hate the fact that i have to use a drake but if i was solo LFG and it dropped on my doorstep i would still apologise and drop out.

    each to their own.
    Belgariad: EU : Lightnings Blade. Once a Tank. Always a Tank.

  18. #98
    I don't dislike Oculus because it's hard. I dislike it because the instance is terribly designed, I greatly dislike vehicle mechanics, and despite it being easy, is also very easy for people to mess up. That said, I won't drop unless others drop. By then, I just don't feel patient enough to sit out waiting for three other people. I'll suck up the deserter debuff and get my daily random done on an alt.

    Does this make me "bad"? If disliking an instance makes me bad, fine, whatever. But I play this game to have fun, and the minute I do something I greatly dislike with no benefit to me or someone I know, is the minute I need to reassess why I play. It's not your job to determine how I spend my time in this game, but thanks anyhow!

  19. #99
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,762
    I spent ages learning my characters. Yet Occulus never gave me training time. You gain your last ability after the penultimate boss. The bosses were quite fun, actually. Apart from the final boss.
    Navigating and pulling is a pain since it is not easy to estimate the distances.
    The Drakes you are riding obscure too much of the screen. Even if zoomed out completely.
    If you are not using the standard interface then you'll find out if something is wrong when it is too late. Since the start of the new LFG tool I had to test my interface while on the quest drakes. I left Ulduar and Malygos and ToC5 behind me ages ago.

    It's not a loot thing. the whole concept is flawed. I won't jump ship when I get Oculus. But I'd rather not be there, truth being told. Sames goes for ToC5 and CoT4. Gimmicky instances don't work in the long run.

    SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.


  20. #100
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,336
    Thing some people forget: If you do heroics with several chars (like most people nowadays), you can actually leave ocu on one char, log another, do random with him and just come back to the first char after that run. Now penalty at all for leaving.

    Still, I prefer staying. Besides the 2 extra emblems and the chance on the mount, it's usually a rather fast run compared to e.g. Gundrak which I get half the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts