+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New rewards from Oculus

Occulus isn't hard. I'd done it once before the new DF system. I've run it many times since then and have never really had a problem. Its actually one of the faster heroics from my experiences. I hate the instance still, but I do it.

To those who see it and leave immediately before even pulling and seeing how the group works - you are selfish - no different than those DPS you love to complain about who do stupid things. DPS and healers are waiting 15 mins or more sometimes for a tank, and when they finally get one, for that tank to leave immediately sucks. Of course, if the group sucks after 4 pulls or so, leave.

The issue with the second boss isn't the captains he summons, it's the actual normal drakes. Ocassionaly the normal drakes agro when the Captain attacks you. This can be solved by killing all the low flying drakes before pulling the second boss though.

This has been around since the instance released and is by far the biggest cause of any group wipes/deaths I've seen.

My rogue que'd random once, before the first Centrifuge Constructs were even pulled, we had lost 3 tanks and 4 healers that all qued, joined and dropped before a word was said.

I am, however, a bit annoyed that you can only get the Blue Drake by random queing (I've been dropped in there quite a bit recently and have about 30 clears of the place now, most being with the new system though) and would actively que for it if I could get a shot at the blue drake, but I guess I'll just spend a weekend/etc going for a luck of the draw...

Ah well in that case if it's not the captains just clear more drakes out. It's fairly easy to judge if something's close. usually the extra drake was pulled once one or two people have landed, so the other 3 have dispensed with it. Have not seen it happen after the pull unless the drake was aggro'd prior to aggroing the boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

i dont consider myself a bad player.

i consider myself someone that simply does not like the instance, out of all the instances available to me to play i choose not to play occulus. simple as that.

i know the tactics and i have run occulus several times both on my main and alts but the very fact that it is pushed on us and we now have "special" loot for the "special" instance just does not sit well with me.

I will continue to pass it up. i dont need occulus and i can find plenty of other things to do in 15mins (/grin).

In my opinion, and apparantly a lot of other players opinons too, its a poorly designed instance that i would prefer to have removed entirely from the game. Unfortunately im not a game designer or an employee of blizz so my opinion here counts for diddley. I see no reason to grant this one instance any favors by awarding "special" bonus loot over any other.

please do not try and pencil in that players who choose not to run occulus are "bad" players.
    Belgariad: EU : Lightnings Blade. Once a Tank. Always a Tank.

Offering special incentives to complete an instance that a lot of people dislike isn't pushing it onto you...

I don't know what you mean by it's poorly designed (other than the constant on and off, though if you do it right you only have to get on and off 9 times, 4 before the second boss, 4 for the third, and once for the final)

I was using a Sharpie, and I'll stick with my opinion, you and the others blaming failure on poor design or bugs are whiners. It's been nerfed to the point of *very easy* puggability and it's 4-8 free badges in 20 minutes or less.

and yet they still have to offer more sweeties at the end to pull people in....
    Belgariad: EU : Lightnings Blade. Once a Tank. Always a Tank.

Occulus is easy, but it is still the only instance that i have had idiots who don't even know how to dismount from the drake even after repeated attempts to explain to said idiot.

I think it's rude and disrespectful to drop instances as a tank, with queue times so long. I don't think it's big or clever to pretend otherwise.

I hate Oculus. Not because it is 'hard', but because I despise vehicle fights.

I don't like Oculus. I don't like Malygos. I don't like Flame Leviathan. I don't like the jousting in ToC.

That said, I will not bail on Oculus runs since they are (usually) finished around the time the debuff would have dropped off. I would rather do something instead of wiating around for the debuff to clear.

The only place I will bail is Heroic HoR. I won't do that place with a PuG.

Quote Originally Posted by swelt View Post
    I think it's rude and disrespectful to drop instances as a tank, with queue times so long. I don't think it's big or clever to pretend otherwise.
    Yeah, my pet peeve is becoming tanks and healers who drop group on entering Nexus because it's not a 3-boss 10-minute instance. If you're not going to tank or heal, then don't queue.

Quote Originally Posted by mavfin View Post
    Yeah, my pet peeve is becoming tanks and healers who drop group on entering Nexus because it's not a 3-boss 10-minute instance. If you're not going to tank or heal, then don't queue.
    Nexus?

It's not a 10 minute instance? They must not know how to pull correctly (assuming the healer is geared enough that is)

Occulus is designed to show off of the expansion's gimmicks, 'Vehicle Combat', plus prepare players for the Malygos encounter. Visually, it's pretty interesting and most of the pulls are 'meh' aoe-fests.

However, what keeps me from liking Occulus is the constant mount/dismount usage of the drakes. Yeah, it's nice that you fly around, but it's pretty much an annoying time sink in the entire instance. The last fight can be face rolled now with a couple of minutes of planning on drakes, but a large part of that is the significant increases in player health and mobs' damage nerfs.

I personally think adding this bonus bag proves Blizzard is seeing a high percentage of folks opting to eat a 15min debuff rather than deal with this headache. Personally, unless I'm on my last random heroic or with (mostly) guildies, I prefer to drop and avoid the aggravation. It's not a question of whether or not I can complete it, or even do it quickly, but rather it's rarely worth my time compared to doing something else.

Now, if Blizzard wants to make those Frost Emblems... aye, that would be worth doing Occulus. Right now, the bonus loot is whip cream & cherries on a pile o' crap.

I actually bailed on an Oculus random yesterday. Normally I like oculus, I get it as a random fairly often, and I've never bailed on a random before, but:

I q up with a guildie on their fresh 80 bear to tank and my decently geared priest for heals. First thing I hear is the horsman's helm when we zone in and it got my "spidey senses" tingling. We've got two DKs and a hunter as DPS, so I start inspecting which is something I almost never do.
    -The DK with the horman's helm doesn't have a meta in it and it's got a blue quality defense gem, the rest of his gear is entry level TANK stuff, mostly crafted lvl 77/78 gear. So I ask the DK if he queued as DPS, cause he's in all tank gear. He replies that he's run heroics like this before and he does "ok".

-The other DK lols in party chat, then says something about being not much better. I have a look at him and he's in half blue quality tank gear, again crafted mid 70s stuff. I point this out in party chat as well. Surprise, surprise they're both from the same server.

-Next i look at the hunter, because maybe the LFG gave us some uber hunter to make up for the other two. No such luck, +42 AP and reduced stun duration meta, and gemmed for INTEL elsewhere.

My last words in party chat are: "......and the hunter's gemmed for intel, I'm out guys", and we drop before even one trash pull.

Technically, we could have finished the instance with people who know what they're doing operating those mis-geared toons, but I have trouble believing the operators were breathing on their own.

I have no trouble running with "undergeared" people in heroics, 99.9% of the time I enjoy it. However, there's a huge difference between low end gear that's meant for the spec and is gemmed and enchanted properly, and wearing tank gear to dps or a hunter gemming for int.

If it had been any other heroic I would have laughed it off and ran with it, but I know larry, curly, and moe would have accidentally pulled extra drakes repeatedly, died to orbs when Eregos phase shifted, etc. etc., getting us all killed several times in the process, and I just wasn't up for the frustration. Would these extra rewards have encouraged me to stay? Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Valalvax View Post
    Nexus?

It's not a 10 minute instance? They must not know how to pull correctly (assuming the healer is geared enough that is)
    I'm serious. In my Ally battlegroup (whatever Uldum-US is in) as often as not, if you get Nexus, the tank will leave on zone-in, and if you get CoS, they will, too. Not a word, not after tanking anything, or sticking around long enough to look at gear. Just gone. ~50% of the time.

I mean, Nexus is about as easy to pull/tank as any instance out there, and CoS only has that part you go AFK for and come back for.

I do have one type of tank that drives me insane. Chain pullers are great. Love them. However, 'chain pull' does not mean 'move the pile 10 yards every 2 seconds'. If I get a tank that thinks that when I'm on my cat druid, I just leave.

I'm serious. In my Ally battlegroup (whatever Uldum-US is in) as often as not, if you get Nexus, the tank will leave on zone-in, and if you get CoS, they will, too. Not a word, not after tanking anything, or sticking around long enough to look at gear. Just gone. ~50% of the time.

I mean, Nexus is about as easy to pull/tank as any instance out there, and CoS only has that part you go AFK for and come back for.

I do have one type of tank that drives me insane. Chain pullers are great. Love them. However, 'chain pull' does not mean 'move the pile 10 yards every 2 seconds'. If I get a tank that thinks that when I'm on my cat druid, I just leave.

I haven't left before getting started on CoS yet, but .... no, I just hate CoS, please Blizzard add more rewards to it, or shorten the fucking event, or something

and if you can hold your horses for two minutes while I pull groups, then I won't be moving them once I have a suitable amount of mobs, until I start running low (4 or less) then I'll go get more, but again I'll stop as soon as I've amassed a bunch

I plan on tanking every time I join the queue, but I'll be damned if I'm going to tank a zone I can't stand. Currently the only thing on that list is Oculous, but Halls of Reflection in a non guild group is rapidly gaining ground.

Oculous was my first heroic instance 7-8 days after the expansion was launched. When we were done with it 3 hours later I swore I'd never set foot in it again. I skipped it ever time it was the daily.

Recently the dungeon finder saw fit to dump me in there. I stayed because everyone says it's so much easier after the nerf. It might be easier (not counting having to wait 10-15 minutes for people to stop leaving as soon as they entered), but it still wasn't worth the time for a bunch of badges I have no use for.

So, I'm done with it again and no amount of saying "it's easy. You suck." is going to make me feel bad enough to stay in it.

It's easy, you suck x20 and /laugh from my nice new blue drake.

Quote Originally Posted by Twospirit View Post
    Recently the dungeon finder saw fit to dump me in there. I stayed because everyone says it's so much easier after the nerf. It might be easier (not counting having to wait 10-15 minutes for people to stop leaving as soon as they entered), but it still wasn't worth the time for a bunch of badges I have no use for.
    It's statements like this that confuse the hell out of me

Either you need the badges

Or you don't need the badges

If you need the badges, the extra 15 minutes hurts you

If you don't need the badges, what the hell are you doing queueing for dungeons in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Valalvax View Post
    It's statements like this that confuse the hell out of me

Either you need the badges

Or you don't need the badges

If you need the badges, the extra 15 minutes hurts you

If you don't need the badges, what the hell are you doing queueing for dungeons in the first place?
    I should have been more clear. I only go into one dungeon run per day for the frost emblems. After that I usually log out unless it's a raid night. On that occasion it was crappy Oculous that it wanted me to do.

You can go ahead and fly around on that blue drake. I'll dust off my azure drake and fly him around. :P

+ Reply to Thread