+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: New rewards from Oculus

got it as a random today, completed it with ease, we even did it with all bronze drakes, and got the 20 min thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Warwench View Post
    got it as a random today, completed it with ease, we even did it with all bronze drakes, and got the 20 min thing.
    I don't think there's a single competent player who doesn't like Oculus because it's hard. We realize Oculus isn't hard. We realize it wasn't hard a year ago.

That doesn't make it fun, and it is by far the least fun heroic for what seems to be a majority of people.

If lots of people died to him, it pretty much follows that they either were trying the run-out strategy (because they didn't believe they could survive the AE) and failed or died from the AE. It's the closest thing we have to neutral data that's independent of the "what we did at the time" anecdotal evidence that doesn't really prove anything.
    But...it's data irrelevant to the discussion.

No one was saying, "Loken is hard." or "Loken is easy." or "Loken did/didn't kill a lot of people.", It was merely a tangent talking about strategies on different bosses in which Loken was brought up and the "stand in" strategy was mentioned as viable and some seemed to disagree.

I really like the idea of the vehicle fights, but I just hate Oculus.

Vehicle fights aren't fun, the respond time on pressing a button is horrible...like natural lagging.

Tonight I had to run a random through Oculus (thankfully with three guildies). I won the blue drake. It's awesome and all, but the fact of the matter is that Oculus still sucks.

No, it's not hard. Yesterday (the first time I was stuck with the instance that I didn't bail) we easily pulled through a pally do less than 1k DPS. That didn't make it fun. The problem isn't that vehicles can't be done well (see ICC Gunshop battle, or imagine a Flame Leviathan that took about 1/5 the time to clear the trash...) but that they have been done exceedingly poorly so far in many cases.

Now I have great confidence that Blizz will figure out what works and what doesn't as we go forward, but sometimes I wonder if it isn't worth just throwing in the towel if your failure is so epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity View Post
    Yes, but that's neither here nor there. We're talking strategy to kill him at the time, not whether or not he was easy/hard.

Actually, we were talking design intent (presumed) and actual strategies. The design intent of Loken was clearly to NOT stand in the Nova. Some groups did, even early on, but I would say that that fight in particular became outgeared very quickly and a competent healer could make up for lacking as long as the DPS didn't get one-shot by the nova.

My point is that Loken did become trivial fairly quickly, but Oculus didn't, at least not to the majority of players. The damage on the boss fights was so high that people still had to do something other than sit there in it. Even now my tank takes hefty damage from the whelp trash at the beginning.

Someone else mentioned how most competent players didn't find it hard, and thus their issue was the vehicle fights. I would tend to agree, but they're also not in the majority. The majority of the players simply found it hard, even after they were outgearing the rest of the heroics. Thus they didn't want to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulia View Post
    Someone else mentioned how most competent players didn't find it hard, and thus their issue was the vehicle fights. I would tend to agree, but they're also not in the majority. The majority of the players simply found it hard, even after they were outgearing the rest of the heroics. Thus they didn't want to do it.
    For what it's worth, a major concern in that regard was probably not so much the boss fights (outside of Mage-Lord Urom), but also the amount of damage the trash could deal out, especially with a melee-heavy group. The sheer amount of damage they could produce was on the high end for a WotLK heroic (though the Eye of Taldaram/Frostbringer pulls in heroic Old Kingdom still have them beat, if only because of the additional counterspell nastiness).

I'm not even sure what's being discussed anymore, I guess.

the real issue here is why should a heoric instance be massively nerfed and yet have the loot buffed ?

(by the way, i actually had my arm twisted to go there at the weekend so i did, i got the blue drake and proudly announced, i really dont ever have to come back here now. ).
    Belgariad: EU : Lightnings Blade. Once a Tank. Always a Tank.

+ Reply to Thread