+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: New rewards from Oculus

Quote Originally Posted by Twospirit View Post
    I should have been more clear. I only go into one dungeon run per day for the frost emblems. After that I usually log out unless it's a raid night. On that occasion it was crappy Oculous that it wanted me to do.

You can go ahead and fly around on that blue drake. I'll dust off my azure drake and fly him around. :P

Have that one too, next.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

I did Occulus for the first time on my warrior yesterday. It was quite the achievement spam as it was the only instance I hadn't done. I remember the lvl 80 rush when I was running every heroic every day on my DK to get badge loots. How lazy people have become.

Blue Drake please!

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

I mean, silly extra loot aside. Say you do 1 random daily, daily. Then you log off until raid time. Or better yet, you do it on each of your 10 toons on the server for hot frost badge intake.

You get into Occ- You clear it in 20 minutes, scoring a hot achievement for 2/5 members.

You get into Occ- You leave immediately, then you wait 15 minutes to queue back up. Then you are almost at the first boss as the group you abandoned finishes and profits. This is even longer if you are DPS. All you do is waste your own time, and anyone can tell you, getting things done in Warcraft takes time. You need to farm your consumables, or gold to get those. You may pvp for honor or arena points/rating, that takes time too. Maybe you're an auction house guru and spend time posting and canceling auctions or milling inks, whatever. Or perhaps you're on here whining about how omghard Occulus is, or perhaps being productive and providing constructive input on the HALP forum, studying a marmot vid to make your guild's raid tonight go smoother. I'm saying that 15 minutes could be better spend and allotted for. It's 6 free badges in 20 minutes or less, just do it.

Culling of Stratholme is worse. It takes longer, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    It's not the instance that's poorly designed, it's the players. After this long (it's been over a year since the instance was released) there's countless guides and videos on how to do it successfully. The only "bugs" are perhaps the drake in boss2 not despawning, MAYBE. And that can be dealt with in a few different ways if you're resourceful. There's no excuse not to run it. I've done it every day almost since 3.3 and wiped one time on Eregos, due to someone never having done it before and not saying so. After a 1 minute explanation we nailed it with no deaths.
    Bug: Getting killed by an invisible, untargetable Greater Ley-Whelp casting invisible spells.
    Bug: Drake getting desynced from the server, so that it's out of the range of heals on Ley-Guardian Eregos.
    Bug: The in-combat indicator being on while riding a drake despite not actually being in combat (of course, if you actually are in combat, then dismounting is a bad thing), so you really don't know what to do.

All experienced within the same run.

Additional bug: If somebody dies, releases, and accepts a resurrection, they lose their drake, having to commit suicide to get back to where they can get a new one.

Poor design are the simplistic vehicle fights and the lacking implementation of a 3d environment.

I know how to do the instance. You can check my shaman's armory, I got the achievement before random LFG and without any raiding gear. I've done "Make It Count" several time since (DBM tells you if you make the timer even if everybody already has the achievement).

Most groups I'm with wtfpwn the instance. Mage-Lord Urom dies before he even gets his first Arcane Explosion off. Don't tell me I'm too "bad" to run the instance, when very obviously I can do it with ease (obviously, helped massively by overgearing it). And I still think it's the most poorly designed instance in WoW. "Easy" and "poorly designed" are not mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Quenchiest View Post
    Culling of Stratholme is worse. It takes longer, and there's nothing you can do about it.
    This.

Oculus post-nerf is a joke. With a competent gorup it's done in no time at all. I hate this whole "added loot" thing. So to shut up whiny players that don't feel like doing one isntance, we're gonna hand out even more phat lewts? Well heck I don't like the slow pace of CoS, I should get double emblems for that. Come to think of it HoR is a lot more difficult than the old heroics. I should get frost emblems for that. Wah wah, I have to actually think in an instnace, someone give me a loot pacifier!

Quote Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
    With a competent group
    I went ahead and highlighted the thing I never get. It's way too easy for one person to ruin this instance. In addition to what Roana said about it bugging out on you, I dislike the drake mechanics and I especially dislike losing the same amount of control that I would have normally have as a tank.
    Forth, and fear no darkness! Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered! A sword day...a red day...ere the sun rises! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!

Quote Originally Posted by Roana View Post
    Bug: Getting killed by an invisible, untargetable Greater Ley-Whelp casting invisible spells.
    Bug: Drake getting desynced from the server, so that it's out of the range of heals on Ley-Guardian Eregos.
    Bug: The in-combat indicator being on while riding a drake despite not actually being in combat (of course, if you actually are in combat, then dismounting is a bad thing), so you really don't know what to do.

All experienced within the same run.

Additional bug: If somebody dies, releases, and accepts a resurrection, they lose their drake, having to commit suicide to get back to where they can get a new one.

Poor design are the simplistic vehicle fights and the lacking implementation of a 3d environment.

I know how to do the instance. You can check my shaman's armory, I got the achievement before random LFG and without any raiding gear. I've done "Make It Count" several time since (DBM tells you if you make the timer even if everybody already has the achievement).

Most groups I'm with wtfpwn the instance. Mage-Lord Urom dies before he even gets his first Arcane Explosion off. Don't tell me I'm too "bad" to run the instance, when very obviously I can do it with ease (obviously, helped massively by overgearing it). And I still think it's the most poorly designed instance in WoW. "Easy" and "poorly designed" are not mutually exclusive.
    In no way am I singling you out as bad, sorry if you took it that way. Most people who do in fact fail, fail because of either lack of intelligence, poor communication, or careless play and lack of taking the time to understand something. That said, I've been running the instance for more than a year now and have yet to encounter the 3 bugs you listed, save for being stuck in combat but that happens everywhere in the game and is not exclusive to Occulus. In fact, I'd say I've had similar experiences of the other types of bugs elsewhere in the game, just not in Occulus. You, in essence, are just saying the game as a whole is poorly designed. Additionally, the death thing you mentioned is not a bug. You die, you lose your drake. Don't accept the rez and zone in so you can go grab it again. Positive it was meant to work like that from day one.

Again, not meaning to offend you if you're truly complaining about fixable peeves, but it's easy for one to take it as whining, given that's a lot of what this thread is comprised of to begin with. I'm a little rough around the edges anyway and my sarcasm takes getting used to.
    Last edited by Dreadski; 01-05-2010 at 12:32 PM. Reason: spelling fail

I've never run into any of those bugs myself. Not much of a statistical analysis, but I'd be hard pressed to agree that it's "really buggy".

Quote Originally Posted by Turkson View Post
    I went ahead and highlighted the thing I never get. It's way too easy for one person to ruin this instance. In addition to what Roana said about it bugging out on you, I dislike the drake mechanics and I especially dislike losing the same amount of control that I would have normally have as a tank.
    I did the instance last night with a complete fool who took 10 minutes almost to pick a drake, and finally settled with red (I was already red, no need for a second really.) We never wiped and had no serious problems other than taking longer than I would have liked.

And control is easy: pick red. Prior to the last boss, aggro control is as siimple as tab-1-tab-1 rinse and repeat. The number 1 attack generates enough threat to keep a mob on you in 1-2 hits. For survivial, spam 2 whenever it's up.

Honestly though, it is quite possible and actually quite easy to go through the first segments without ever fighting on the drakes. Once the "real" drake powers unlock, threat and survival are both a joke. Use 1 and you'll hold aggro on everything. Use 2 and you won't die. Use 3 if your other party members are in trouble. learn to evade the explosions on the final boss, and the whole thing is a joke.

I've rarely had people bail on any random dungeon. My battlegroup also seems to like pulling all the bosses so Nexus isn't any longer than say OK (although if my battlegroup did like skipping bosses OK would be cake).

I have had the combat indicator go crazy in Occulus when riding drakes. It's annoying and like Roana said, you sit there for a little while scanning the sky for incoming blues.

I'm also pretty sure that if you die and get rezzed you *aren't* supposed to lose your drake. I've had plenty of people die and get rezzed from dying to the second boss or third boss or even the mages/sorcerers. You can't tell me that Blizzard intentionally wanted everyone to corpse run in this case.

I don't do Occulus too much, I seem to get CoS or Gundrak 80% of the times I do LFG for some reason. Occulus isn't hard, but it isn't well designed either (bugs not-withstanding, ToC had a lot of bugs too but I find it fairly well designed).

The map is pretty horrendous for finding your way if you're new or get separated from your group. The constant mounting and dismounting really breaks the flow of the place as well. It could be a perception problem, but the fact that Blizz has nerfed the place *and* sweetened the pot tells me that it's just not a well designed instance despite all the people in this thread who will soldier through it.

I think it just has a bad rep. I find the whelps at the beginning mildly annoying to tank. The rest of the instance is pretty straight forward. If you move quickly mounting and unmounting doesn't even break flow that much. Before the second boss is the only time you really have to worry about anything while on a drake. Going from the second to third boss is super fast. As long as my healer is close behind I don't even wait for the DPS to get there before I pull the summoned adds.

i dont see any reason to drop... it can be run in about 15mins, even if people are stupid.

give instructions to follow the people that have been there before, and the place is a cake-walk.

I don't drop this instance though I am sometimes tempted. One thing I haven't seen mentioned that adds to the ARGH factor is there is very often some yahoo in the group who can't function properly on the drakes due to his interface addons.

You're getting it wrong, Dreador. It's not because the instance is hard, it's not. Not before nerfage, and especially not now. I once got tricked into healing it for a guildie who wanted achievements for his drake. 11 minute super fast no deaths and I hated every flipping second of it.

It's not because of bugs, none of which I've ever encountered.

It's not because of incompetent players. I refuse to run Occulus with my guildies if I can help it. 4 of our core 10 and me could be grouped up post-raid for the random, and while I probably wouldn't drop group on guildies, I think the majority vote would be to log off before doing Oculus (I know our GM and one of our MTs also loathes Oculus as much as I do.)

Because... the drakes... are !@%!ing... RETARDED. I would rather quit the game and play something else, or relog to a different toon, or hell, I'd rather run around Scholozar and farm ore for 15 minutes than have to suffer that stupid drake nonsense. The new rewards do not change that for me.

If they removed the drakes, changed Eregos to be a ground-based fight with similar mechanics, and added teleporters for travel around the instance. Oculus would be AWESOME and I would look forward to running it. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

I play this game to have fun. Oculus isn't just not fun, it's anti-fun. I mean, imagine someone takes an awesome game like Borderlands, and throws in a section where you have to play a different game, a really crappy stupid game, we'll use Virtual Hydlide, for example. It would absolutely jar you out your Borderlands experience, and it would get pretty universal hate from everyone. If this terribad Virtual Hydlide section were optional, everyone would avoid it. Much as I avoid Oculus.

I would rather leave the dungeon, as a group (so they don't have to find another tank,) stare at the screen and drool for 15 minutes while the debuff wears off, and then re-queue, than be forced to fly around on those drakes.

I'm still going to insta-leave Oculus if I get put into it.

/rant

Blizzard messed up when designing and instead of admit the failure of design and fix that (which they already did once if i remember correctly), they offer us a carrot. An instance people hate will not be better liked if it provides better loot. This "hotfix" is a poor design choice from Blizzard

The thing they fixed was that they added small bridges on the three platforms with one construct each. That was a step in the right direction because it reduced the annoyance level. More changes like that and oculus would be a decent dungeon, regardless of loot.
    -Why couldnt they take the platforms of boss #3 and move them closer to eachother, then add a small bridge there as well? Kill one pack, mount up, move, kill another pack, mount up, move, etc really isn't fun
    -Reduce the amount of blue dragons flying around that must be killed, especially those over the 2nd boss.
    -Why dont they give the drakes we fly all their abilities at once? For the majority of the instance we are stuck with a very boring set of abilities. For red and orange all you can do is nuke (with time stop every now and then). The green can dot up a target. It's like playing a level 1 again.
    -And finally, make the "soar" buff appear sooner. It seems to go on a separate timer than out-of-combat and takes forever to proc.

I know its easy, done it plenty but prior to this it was just tedius. The constant drake flying was cute the first time around but after that it was like uggggghhhhh. And the one boss who respawns like 3 times before the main fight.. You get one swing, he spawns trash then ports away thats just lame, why not just let us kill him from the start and save us ten minutes o_O

World of Warcraft - English (NA) Forums -> Recent In-Game Fixes - January 2010 - 1/5

I hadn't seen this post before, but if you scroll down a little, you can see that they removed a good portion of the drakes above the second boss

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    You're getting it wrong, Dreador. It's not because the instance is hard, it's not. Not before nerfage, and especially not now. I once got tricked into healing it for a guildie who wanted achievements for his drake. 11 minute super fast no deaths and I hated every flipping second of it.

It's not because of bugs, none of which I've ever encountered.

It's not because of incompetent players. I refuse to run Occulus with my guildies if I can help it. 4 of our core 10 and me could be grouped up post-raid for the random, and while I probably wouldn't drop group on guildies, I think the majority vote would be to log off before doing Oculus (I know our GM and one of our MTs also loathes Oculus as much as I do.)

Because... the drakes... are !@%!ing... RETARDED. I would rather quit the game and play something else, or relog to a different toon, or hell, I'd rather run around Scholozar and farm ore for 15 minutes than have to suffer that stupid drake nonsense. The new rewards do not change that for me.

If they removed the drakes, changed Eregos to be a ground-based fight with similar mechanics, and added teleporters for travel around the instance. Oculus would be AWESOME and I would look forward to running it. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

I play this game to have fun. Oculus isn't just not fun, it's anti-fun. I mean, imagine someone takes an awesome game like Borderlands, and throws in a section where you have to play a different game, a really crappy stupid game, we'll use Virtual Hydlide, for example. It would absolutely jar you out your Borderlands experience, and it would get pretty universal hate from everyone. If this terribad Virtual Hydlide section were optional, everyone would avoid it. Much as I avoid Oculus.

I would rather leave the dungeon, as a group (so they don't have to find another tank,) stare at the screen and drool for 15 minutes while the debuff wears off, and then re-queue, than be forced to fly around on those drakes.

I'm still going to insta-leave Oculus if I get put into it.

/rant
    So, the drakes are #%^@$ing retarded...how? Without any explanation other than that, this wall of text only makes you look retarded, and I /pat my drake on the neck before passing out next to it.

Seriously though, where's the beef?

part of the drakes and vehicle based hatred is due to the fact that it has nothing to do with your ability to play your class.

everything that i have spent 4 years learning to do is replaced by hitting 1-1-1-4 (or whichever fits the drake/machine best).
    Belgariad: EU : Lightnings Blade. Once a Tank. Always a Tank.

+ Reply to Thread