+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tips of the Trade: DPS Secrets for Classes with no Guides

Please Contribute: Tips of the Trade: DPS Secrets for Classes with no Guides

Hey all! As a bit of a public service to my guildmates, I'm compiling a list of dps guides for them to look at, so they don't have to sift through the treacherous waters of cyberspace on their own.

As it stands, however, there are a number of dps classes that currently have no guides on Tankspot. The Paladin, Shaman, Rogue, Mage, Warlock, and Balance Druids are all currently guide-less.

Since I thought it may be of benefit to others as well, I decided to post a thread where people input what specs, rotations, etc. are currently viable for end-game raiding content. As the information comes in, I'll add the data into the original post to make it easier for people to navigate.

Information on specs, rotations, stat priorities, etc. is all welcome! If nothing else, at least put in a link to a good guide for that class, so those looking for additional info can find reputable guides on these classes all in one convenient location.

Thanks for your time and your input!

Balance Druid

A Balance Druid guide from Elitist Jerks can be found at:
    Moonkin PvE DPS (updated for 3.3) - Elitist Jerks
    Written by Arawethion (Hamlet), current author of the WrathCalcs Moonkin DPS Spreadsheet (attached to this guide).
    WrathCalcs original author: Adoriele.

Balance druid standard DPS rotation video.

http://www.filefront.com/15367353/BalanceDPSRotation_3_3.avi/
    Encoded in XVid Codec
    www.xvid.org

I threw together a quick video illustrating the proper rotation.
    Please note...
    1. That isn't my normal action bar setup, I customized it for the video to illustrate the spells and their order of usage. It was a bit of a pain in the arse to retrain myself to different action positions but I still averaged 6300 DPS from start to finish.
    2. Pay attention to eclipse buff timer, note how I still have the Eclipse buff when I start doing other things like renewing DoTs or using long cooldowns like Starfall but it is in the Post-Eclipse phase (no longer enough time to finish the next cast). Also note no DoT clipping at anypoint, I never cast a DoT unless the prior one has already expired and if both expired I prioritize Moonfire over Insect Swarm.
    3. Anything you might consider a Pre-Eclipse phase DoT renewal is actually a No Eclipse phase DoT renewal because of spell queuing. I am click the instant action Moonfire or Insect Swarm prior to the Eclipse buff procing however the buff may proc before that request actually gets to the server.
    4. Sorry I didn't throw any epic Moonkin music for you to listen to while watching.

Balance druid DPS consists of four phases...

No Eclipse
    Pre-Eclipse (experienced players treat this identical to Eclipse)
    Eclipse
    Post-Eclipse (experienced players treat this identical to No Eclipse)

No Eclipse phase is simply that, no Eclipse buff currently active, like at the start of an encounter. During this phase is when you would apply Faerie Fire, use long cooldowns such as Force of Nature, Starfall, and Innervate, and renew any DoTs that aren't currently active prioritizing Moonfire over Insect Swarm.

Pre-Eclipse phase is often ignored and treated the same as Eclipse phase. Some players will renew their DoTs at the start of an Eclipse buff to buff the respective spell. However this is generally advised against and you shouldn't intentionally waste part of your Eclipse buff.

Eclipse phase is your spam phase of your cycle. Litterally you just spam the buffed spell for the duration of the Eclipse buff.

Post-Eclipse phase is the key difference where experienced balance druids will differentiate themselves from the rest. This is the end of the Eclipse buff where the remaining time on the buff isn't sufficient to cast another spell (i.e. if Eclipse is less than 1 second remaining, you can't cast another 1 second or longer spell and have it still buffed). Because you can't benefit from the buff anymore, experienced players treat this identicle to the No Eclipse phase and would use their long cooldowns Force of Nature, Starfall, and Innervate or renew any DoTs that fell off, again prioritizing Moonfire over Insect Swarm but never clipping their DoTs. This phase is generally just one Global Cooldown long, but by taking advantage of it you generally insure that your cooldowns are used promptly as well as DoTs are renewed before entering the next Eclipse. If you mistakenly cast that one last spell that goes beyond the buff timer, you can immediately enter your next Eclipse without taking advantage of your cooldowns or renewing your DoTs which results in a DPS loss.

Faceroller addons are becoming a bit popular so I did some checking up on a balance DPS one. There is a Faceroller Moonkin addon, however, I would advise against using it because it isn't optimal. It does not make certain considerations such as the post eclipse phase (the cast time of the ability may go beyond the duration remaining on the buff) as well as DoT renewal, the debuff may fall off before your current cast or GCD completes. It only looks at your current state trying to determine what your next action should be, not at what your state will be when your current cast or GCD is completed. To save people from learning bad habbits because an addon tells them to, I'll save you the trouble. Don't get Faceroller Moonkin because it's recommendations are wrong.
    (Information courtesy of Quinafoi)

Mage

Arcane Mage:

Cookie-Cutter Arcane build: The World of Warcraft Armory

The build above is the cookie-cutter Arcane PvE spec. You can move a few points around depending on the situation. If you're going to be taking a lot of fire or frost damage (for your wards to absorb), or any damage with a healer that often shields you, then Incanter's Absorption may be worth moving points to get. If you need more range, you can move another point to Magic Attunement. If you need less hit, you can take a point or two out of Arcane Focus. Or if you need more spell pushback resistance, you can move a point to Arcane Stability.

Major Glyphs:
    Glyph of Arcane Blast
    Glyph of Arcane Missiles
    Glyph of Molten Armor

Gems:
    Meta - Chaotic Skyflare Diamond
    Red - Runed Cardinal Ruby
    Yellow - Reckless Amertine
    Blue - Purified Dreadstone

***If you don't need the socket bonus, then always go with either Runed Cardinal Ruby or Reckless Amertine.

Enchants:
    Head - Arcanum of Burning Mysteries
    Shoulder - Greater Inscription of the Storm
    Cloak - Lightweave Embroidery (if Tailor) OR Greater Speed
    Chest - Powerful Stats
    Wrist - Superior Spellpower
    Hands - Exceptional Spellpower
    Legs - Brilliant Spellthread
    Feet - Icewalker OR Tuskarr's Vitality (if you dont need the hit)
    Ring(s) - Spellpower (if a JC)
    Weapon - Black Magic OR Greater Spellpower (for a Staff)

General Stat Priority: Hit-to-cap > Spell Power > Haste > Crit > Int > Sprt

Hit cap (w/ 6% from talents):

Without Buffs = 11% or 289 Hit rating.
    Imp FF or Misery = less 3% or 98 Hit rating (191 to cap)
    Heroic Presence = less 1% or 32 Hit rating (257 to cap)
    With Both = less 4% or 131 Hit rating (158 to cap)

You will hear people mention a Haste cap. Ignore them. There are "soft caps" for Haste, but they only come into play if you don't time your c/d's correctly and even then, would only affect you for a very short period of the fight. There is no Haste hard cap for Arcane, or at least not one that is attainable. It takes over 4k Haste rating to hard cap AB at the 1s hasted GCD without buffs. Since you will be without full haste buffs the majority of any end-game fight, more Haste is always beneficial. The standard rule for Arcane is, "you can never have enough Haste".

Rotation (AB=Arcane Blast, MB=Missle Barrage, AM=Aracne Missles):

AB x4 >> MB proc

***Do Not use MB proc until you have 4 stacks of AB.
    ***If MB hasn't proc'd when you hit 4 stacks of AB, continue to cast AB until it does.
    ***Only Use ABarr if you have to move and won't be able to clear your 4 stacks of AB with an MB proc.
    (Information Courtesy of Dynasor)

Paladin

A guide from Elitist Jerks on Ret Paladins can be found at: Retribution: Updated for 3.3 - Elitist Jerks
    (Link information courtesy of Turkson)

Rogue

Pocket Guide to WOTLK (Updated for 3.3) - Elitist Jerks

Rogue Pocket Guide from EJ. Simple consolidated information for both Combat and Mutilate.

Also - for any rogues out there who want to increase their DPS - use a spreadsheet. It takes a little bit of getting used to, but Aldriana has modelled just about everything that can be accounted for.
    (Information courtesy of Zxian)
    To supplement what Zxian said, Aldriana's spreadsheets provide the most detailed information in regards to gear choices.
    Combat and Mutilate Spreadsheets
    (Information courtesy of Mave)

Shaman

For Elemental:
    FS > LvB > CL > LB x whatever your haste level provides until LvB is off cooldown.
    (Assuming a Patchwerk encounter and your LB casts are 1.6 seconds or better, Cut CL out of the mix as it has slightly lower damage and less of a chance to proc lightning overload.)
    (Information courtesy of craptacular)

Warlock

Affliction Lock:

Single Target

Rotation: Life Tap, Corruption, Curse, Unstable Affliction, Haunt, Shadow Bolts untill Haunt is ready. Once Haunt is ready you reapply Unstable Affliction and Haunt.
    Reapply Curse when needed. Reapply Corruption when needed, but do keep in mind that if you Everlasting Affliction your Haunt spell will restart the timer on Corruption so you might not need to reapply this spell if you use Glyph of Life Tap and then use Life Tap or Dark Pact when the buff is about to run out. Otherwise, just use Life Tap or Dark Pact when needed, before you run out of mana.

2 or more targets

Here is get a bit tricky

There is several thing you can do here.

Seed of Corruption:
    It does a lot of damage but it also costs a lot of mana, which may cause you to run out of mana early on in the fight.
    The best way to use Seed of Corruption is to use Seed of Corruption on one target, then switch targets and cast another Seed on another target and so on... Once you have used the Seed on 3 or 4 targets, you can use Shadowflame to kick start the Seeds into exploding. This deals a lot of damage really fast, but keep in mind that it will also generate a lot of threat, and you may need to use Soulshatter to avoid pulling aggro.

Rain of Fire:
    Rain of fire does a fair amount of damage, although it doesn't deal damage as fast as the Seed of Corruption does.
    Using Rain of Fire instead of Seed of Corruption will save you a lot of mana, though.
    If you have the time, you can cast Corruption on the targets that need to be brought down, and then cast Rain of Fire on them.

Dots:
    Now if the target has lots of health, you may deal more damage by simply using dots on all your targets, and then keeping the dots up. You do, however, need to know that your target needs to stay alive for long time before the damage really starts to build up...

Rotation:
    Target 1: Corruption, Curse, Unstable Affliction, Haunt
    Target 2: Corruption, Curse, Unstable Affliction
    Target 3: Corruption, Curse, Unstable Affliction
    Target 4: ...and so on. Use Life Tap and Dark Pact when needed, and use them before you run out of mana.

------------------------------------------------------

Damage over time....

Now looking at all the dots that an affliction lock has, it becomes pretty clear that tossing dots up on every thing is not always the best idea... after all, what is the point of using a dot on a target that only lives for a around 2-4 seconds? It will not deal a lot of damage since the target will die before the dots really get going. In those situations, using faster damage spells like Searing Pain, Shadowflame and Shadowburn will give you a higher DPS output. For targets that will likely last 12-15 seconds, using a few dots like Corruption or Unstable Affliction, then casting spells that do instant damage will probably be more beneficial.... it pretty much comes down to how long the target is going to live.

-------------------------------------------------------

Demonic Circle

Demonic Circle is actually two spells that work together, a Summoning spell ( Demonic Circle: Summon) and a teleporting spell ( Demonic Circle: Teleport).
    The way to use this spell is by first casting the Circle on the ground. Once that is down, using the Teleport spell will return you to the Circle. It does have a range limit of 40 yards however, which is something to keep in mind while placing your Circle.
    Now, what can you use this spell for? Well, since you don't need to be in line of sight in order to use this, you can place it behind any object, door, wall, up on a platform, down in a tunnel, etc. and return to your circle at any time. The only limit to this spell is the range. You can also place the circle near a tank, so if you get aggro from a boss and the boss starts running toward you, you can then teleport to the tank and then run the opposite way, forcing the boss to turn and run back towards the tank in the tank (although this does require a bit of timing). A final handy use for this spell is in a fight that you know you will have to move periodically due to boss mechanics, such as Sartharion. If the boss randomly hits an area, or if there are two alternate "safe zones," you can stand in one, and place your Circle in the other, and warp to the circle if he targets your area.

Life Tapping

Life Tap and Dark Pack are pretty much the only way that an affliction warlock will regenerate mana in battle. Life Tap works by taking some of your Health, and turning it into mana. But what about the Health that was lost? The easy answer to that is: "it must become a healer problem," but it does not have to be. Affliction Locks do have a fair amount of healing built into their damage if they spec correctly, meaning they get Siphon Life and Haunt from the Affliction talent tree.
    Now, spamming Life Tap every time your mana bar gets below 20% is probably not the best way to be using this spell. Instead, just hit Life Tap 1 or 2 times when you start getting below 70-80% mana, or right before a Haunt spell is about to return to you. This is by far the most effective way to use this spell. Do note that Life Tap does not generate aggro.

Rank Level Description
    1 6 Converts [0+SPI * 1] health into [0+SPI * 1] mana.
    2 16 Converts [6+SPI * 1.5] health into [6+SPI * 1.5] mana.
    3 26 Converts [24+SPI * 2] health into [24+SPI * 2] mana.
    4 36 Converts [37+SPI * 2.5] health into [37+SPI * 2.5] mana.
    5 46 Converts [42+SPI * 3] health into [42+SPI * 3] mana.
    6 56 Converts [500+SPI * 3] health into [500+SPI * 3] mana.
    7 68 Converts [710+SPI * 3] health into [710+SPI * 3] mana.
    8 80 Converts [1490+SPI * 3] health into [1490+SPI * 3] mana.
    (Information above courtesy of Bohus)

A better afflic rotation is:
    To start a fight: Life Tap (rank 1) -> SB -> Haunt -> UA -> CoA ->Corrupt
    That way you get all your cast times out of the way early, and should have all your procs up for corrupt. You can move corrupt up if you want to before CoA for what may be a minor increase in dps (i haven't tried it since I dropped the CoA glyph).

For the rest of the fight, priority order is:
    Haunt, Corrupt, Glyph of Life Tap, UA, DS when <25%, SB
    Spam SB as long as those are up. If the boss is under 25% the use Drain Soul, as it will tick for way more than SB, but you still have to keep up the other debuffs. Timing when to stop your DS to reapply haunt or something. Try to do it right after a tick of DS.
    (Information Courtesy of Ophilil)
    Last edited by Eravian; 01-22-2010 at 11:00 AM.

There we go =]

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Balance Druid EJ Topic
    Moonkin PvE DPS (updated for 3.3) - Elitist Jerks
    Written by Arawethion (Hamlet), current author of the WrathCalcs Moonkin DPS Spreadsheet (attached to this guide).
    WrathCalcs original author: Adoriele.

Covers everything you really need to know.

/cast Raise Dead
    /wink

Pocket Guide to WOTLK (Updated for 3.3) - Elitist Jerks

Rogue Pocket Guide from EJ. Simple consolidated information for both Combat and Mutilate.

Also - for any rogues out there who want to increase their DPS - use a spreadsheet. It takes a little bit of getting used to, but Aldriana has modelled just about everything that can be accounted for.

In short, on any fight where you can stay on the boss, Mutilate will out-perform Combat in similar gear levels by a fair margin. In 4pc T8.5 and a mix of ilvl232 and ilvl245 gear I was pushing roughly 7.2K DPS on Saurfang 10-man.

Thanks for the input! Keep those tips coming!

Aff lock patch 3,3 EU

----------------------------------------------------
    DPS'ing

Single Target

Rotation: Life Tap, Corruption, Curse, Unstable Affliction, Haunt, Shadow Bolts untill Haunt is ready. Once Haunt is ready you reapplys Unstable Affliction and Haunt.
    Curse reapplys when needed. Corruption reapplys when needed but do keep in mind that if you Everlasting Affliction your Haunt spell will restart the timer on Corruption so you might not need to reapply this spell if you use Glyph of Life Tap then your use Life Tap or Dark Pact when the buff is about to run out other then that you use Life Tap or Dark Pact When needed and b4 you run out of mana.

2 or more targets

Here is get a bit tricky

now there is sevel thing you can do here.

Seed of Corruption:
    It does alot of damage but it allso cost alot of mana and you might run out of mana early on in the fight.
    the way to use Seed of Corruption is to use Seed of Corruption on one target then swicth target and cast another seed on another target and so on... once you have used the seed on 3-4 target you can use shadowflame to kick start the seeds into exploting and that way deal a alot of damage really fast but keep in mind that is will corse alot of theat and you may need to use soulshatter to avoid getting aggro.

Rain of Fire:
    does a fair amount of damage but don't deal damage as fast as the seed of corruption does.
    Using Rain of Fire instead of using seed of corruption will save alot of mana.
    If you got the time you can cast corruption you the targets you or your group needs to bring down and then
    use Rain of Fire

Dots:
    Now if the target got a high amount of HP you might get more damage out buy simple use doting all you your target up and then keeping the dots up, you do have ever need to know that your target needs to stay alive for long time b4 the damage kicks in...
    rotation: Corruption, Curse, Unstable Affliction, Haunt, "new target" Corruption, Curse,
    Unstable Affliction "new target" Corruption, Curse, Unstable Affliction "new target" and so on Life Tap / dark pact when needed and b4 you run out of mana.

Damage over time....

Now looking at all the dots that a aff lock have it gets pretty clear that doting every thing up is not allways the best idea... what is the idea in using a dot on a target that only lives for a around 2-4 sec ? it's not going to make you deal alot of damage since the target dies b4 the dot kick in. Instead using some fast damage spell like Searing Pain, Shadowflame and shadowburn might give you a higher DPS or use a few dots like Corruption and Unstable Affliction and then some fast spell if the target live for around 12-13 sec.... it pretty must all come down to have long the target lives.

-------------------------------------------------------

Demonic Circle

This is 2 spells that work together, a Summon spell ( Demonic Cirlce: Summon ) and a teleport spell ( Demonic Circle: Teleport )
    the way this spell work is by placing a Circle on the ground and then by using the teleport spell you can return to your Circle but it have a very limit range, you can not retun to your circle if you are longer then 40 yd away from it, keep this in mind when placing you circle. now what can you use this spell for... well since you don't need to be in line of sight in order to use it you can place it behind any object, door, wall, up on a platform, down in a tunnel and return your circle the only limit to this spell is it range. you can allso place the circle near a tank so if you get aggro form a boss and you boss start running towatch you can then teleport to the tank and then you run away form the tank forceing the boss to run in the tank way. but this needs a bit of timing.

Life Tapping

Life Tap and dark Pack is pretty much the only way a affliction warlock will regen mana in battle. Life Tap work is way... you use some of your HP and converts that into MP. But what about the HP I just lost ? the easy answer to that is: it must be a healer problem ! or not... Aff Lock do have a fair amount of healer bluid into to the damage that they do if spec correctly, meaning getting Siphon Life and Haunt form the affliction talent tree. now you spaming you life tap every time your mana bar get below 20% might not be the best way to use this spell instead just hit life tap 1 or 2 times when you start getting below 70-80% mana or when a haunt spell is about to return to you this is by far the best way to this spell. do note that Life Tap does not generate aggro.'

Rank Level Description
    1 6 Converts [0+SPI * 1] health into [0+SPI * 1] mana.
    2 16 Converts [6+SPI * 1.5] health into [6+SPI * 1.5] mana.
    3 26 Converts [24+SPI * 2] health into [24+SPI * 2] mana.
    4 36 Converts [37+SPI * 2.5] health into [37+SPI * 2.5] mana.
    5 46 Converts [42+SPI * 3] health into [42+SPI * 3] mana.
    6 56 Converts [500+SPI * 3] health into [500+SPI * 3] mana.
    7 68 Converts [710+SPI * 3] health into [710+SPI * 3] mana.
    8 80 Converts [1490+SPI * 3] health into [1490+SPI * 3] mana.

Last edited by Bohus; 01-07-2010 at 04:28 PM.

Another thing for warlock is what pet to use.... while the Imp is pretty nice it might not be the best choise for a aff lock, say if you got a warrior in your group using Commanding shout, this buff might overwrite your blood pact buff. Imp does a fair amount of damage and have a sweet lillte trick... Phase shift make the imp invulnerable to all hostile and beneficial abilities, with the exception of Soul Link and Health Funnel, note that the imp can't attack while in phase shift. Fel hunter is pretty cool in that it have a intellect / spirit buff giving all the caster & healers in the group a small int and sprirt boost and once more this buff might be overwritten by priest spirit buff and mage intellect buff, Fel hunter allso got silence spell that the fel hunter can autocast so you don't need to keep an eye this one unless you wanna deside with spell to counter. The devour magic spell that fel hunter allso have will let you remove a buff for the enemy or a debuff from you or party / raid, note that it can only remove magic. Sucubus is offen seen in pvp in that it have a charm spell but have allso be used in dungeon for CC, other then that sucubus does a fair amount of damage you might wanna use this pet just for the DPS. Voidwalker.... this pet might keep y ou alive a bit longer in that it have a shield that it can cast on you so if have problems with mobs hitting you can cast a usefull shield on your self, pet does a low amount of damage. Infernal and doomgraud both are pet with a cooldown on them and you don't have them for a long time, first up Infernal... does a high amount of damage but you only have this pet for 1min so thing about when to use this one. Now doomgraud there is 2 ways to get this one, first if you use Curse of doom and the damage from a this curse kills a pve mob that gives exp or honor a DG will then be summoned note that you will have to enslave it in order to get last about 5 min I think. other way is if you have done the quest for it... you can then use a ritual to get it, once the ritual is started 4 other players in you party / raid need to press the portal in the same way that you you make a summoning stone. the big chance in using the ritual is that once you have summon the DG it will be enslaved from the start and this DG and last for about 15min. Doomgraud does a high amount of damage and this pet allso got devour magic and rain of fire

To supplement what Zxian said, Aldriana's spreadsheets provide the most detailed information in regards to gear choices.

Combat and Mutilate Spreadsheets

For Elemental it's pretty mindless.

FS > LvB > CL > LB x whatever your haste level provides until LvB is off cooldown.

Assuming a Patchwerk encounter and your LB casts are 1.6 seconds or better, Cut CL out of the mix as it has slightly lower damage and less of a chance to proc lightning overload.
    Craptacular | Elemental Shaman | The Late Shift |Magtheridon
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...&n=Craptacular

Doomguard rocks but for the cooldown and you need summoning help. This is very useful for destro locks.

Necromancy!!!

Some more help for Balance druids...

Balance druid standard DPS rotation video.

http://www.filefront.com/15367353/BalanceDPSRotation_3_3.avi/
    Encoded in XVid Codec
    www.xvid.org

I threw together a quick video illustrating the proper rotation.
    Please note...
    1. That isn't my normal action bar setup, I customized it for the video to illustrate the spells and their order of usage. It was a bit of a pain in the arse to retrain myself to different action positions but I still averaged 6300 DPS from start to finish.
    2. Pay attention to eclipse buff timer, note how I still have the Eclipse buff when I start doing other things like renewing DoTs or using long cooldowns like Starfall but it is in the Post-Eclipse phase (no longer enough time to finish the next cast). Also note no DoT clipping at anypoint, I never cast a DoT unless the prior one has already expired and if both expired I prioritize Moonfire over Insect Swarm.
    3. Anything you might consider a Pre-Eclipse phase DoT renewal is actually a No Eclipse phase DoT renewal because of spell queuing. I am click the instant action Moonfire or Insect Swarm prior to the Eclipse buff procing however the buff may proc before that request actually gets to the server.
    4. Sorry I didn't throw any epic Moonkin music for you to listen to while watching.

Balance druid DPS consists of four phases...

No Eclipse
    Pre-Eclipse (experienced players treat this identical to Eclipse)
    Eclipse
    Post-Eclipse (experienced players treat this identical to No Eclipse)

No Eclipse phase is simply that, no Eclipse buff currently active, like at the start of an encounter. During this phase is when you would apply Faerie Fire, use long cooldowns such as Force of Nature, Starfall, and Innervate, and renew any DoTs that aren't currently active prioritizing Moonfire over Insect Swarm.

Pre-Eclipse phase is often ignored and treated the same as Eclipse phase. Some players will renew their DoTs at the start of an Eclipse buff to buff the respective spell. However this is generally advised against and you shouldn't intentionally waste part of your Eclipse buff.

Eclipse phase is your spam phase of your cycle. Litterally you just spam the buffed spell for the duration of the Eclipse buff.

Post-Eclipse phase is the key difference where experienced balance druids will differentiate themselves from the rest. This is the end of the Eclipse buff where the remaining time on the buff isn't sufficient to cast another spell (i.e. if Eclipse is less than 1 second remaining, you can't cast another 1 second or longer spell and have it still buffed). Because you can't benefit from the buff anymore, experienced players treat this identicle to the No Eclipse phase and would use their long cooldowns Force of Nature, Starfall, and Innervate or renew any DoTs that fell off, again prioritizing Moonfire over Insect Swarm but never clipping their DoTs. This phase is generally just one Global Cooldown long, but by taking advantage of it you generally insure that your cooldowns are used promptly as well as DoTs are renewed before entering the next Eclipse. If you mistakenly cast that one last spell that goes beyond the buff timer, you can immediately enter your next Eclipse without taking advantage of your cooldowns or renewing your DoTs which results in a DPS loss.

A better afflic rotation is:
    To start a fight: Life Tap (rank 1) -> SB -> Haunt -> UA -> CoA ->Corrupt
    That way you get all your cast times out of the way early, and should have all your procs up for corrupt. You can move corrupt up if you want to before CoA for what may be a minor increase in dps (i haven't tried it since i dropped the CoA glyph).

For the rest of the fight, priority order is:
    Haunt, Corrupt, Glyph of Life Tap, UA, DS when <25%, SB
    Spam SB as long as those are up. If the boss is under 25% the use Drain Soul, as it will tick for way more than SB, but you still have to keep up the other debuffs. Timing when to stop your DS to reapply haunt or something. Try to do it right after a tick of DS.

Faceroller addons are becoming a bit popular so I did some checking up on a balance DPS one. There is a Faceroller Moonkin addon, however, I would advise against using it because it isn't optimal. It does not make certain considerations such as the post eclipse phase (the cast time of the ability may go beyond the duration remaining on the buff) as well as DoT renewal, the debuff may fall off before your current cast or GCD completes. It only looks at your current state trying to determine what your next action should be, not at what your state will be when your current cast or GCD is completed. To save people from learning bad habbits because an addon tells them to, I'll save you the trouble. Don't get Faceroller Moonkin because it's recommendations are wrong.

Thanks for the info so far guys, keep it coming!

Arcane Mage:

Cookie-Cutter Arcane build: The World of Warcraft Armory

The build above is the cookie-cutter Arcane PvE spec. You can move a few points around depending on the situation. If you're going to be taking a lot of fire or frost damage (for your wards to absorb), or any damage with a healer that often shields you, then Incanter's Absorption may be worth moving points to get. If you need more range, you can move another point to Magic Attunement. If you need less hit, you can take a point or two out of Arcane Focus. Or if you need more spell pushback resistance, you can move a point to Arcane Stability.

Major Glyphs:
    Glyph of Arcane Blast
    Glyph of Arcane Missiles
    Glyph of Molten Armor

Gems:
    Meta - Chaotic Skyflare Diamond
    Red - Runed Cardinal Ruby
    Yellow - Reckless Amertine
    Blue - Purified Dreadstone

***If you don't need the socket bonus, then always go with either Runed Cardinal Ruby or Reckless Amertine.

Enchants:
    Head - Arcanum of Burning Mysteries
    Shoulder - Greater Inscription of the Storm
    Cloak - Lightweave Embroidery (if Tailor) OR Greater Speed
    Chest - Powerful Stats
    Wrist - Superior Spellpower
    Hands - Exceptional Spellpower
    Legs - Brilliant Spellthread
    Feet - Icewalker OR Tuskarr's Vitality (if you dont need the hit)
    Ring(s) - Spellpower (if a JC)
    Weapon - Black Magic OR Greater Spellpower (for a Staff)

General Stat Priority: Hit-to-cap > Spell Power > Haste > Crit > Int > Sprt

Hit cap (w/ 6% from talents):

Without Buffs = 11% or 289 Hit rating.
    Imp FF or Misery = less 3% or 98 Hit rating (191 to cap)
    Heroic Presence = less 1% or 32 Hit rating (257 to cap)
    With Both = less 4% or 131 Hit rating (158 to cap)

You will hear people mention a Haste cap. Ignore them. There are "soft caps" for Haste, but they only come into play if you don't time your c/d's correctly and even then, would only affect you for a very short period of the fight. There is no Haste hard cap for Arcane, or at least not one that is attainable. It takes over 4k Haste rating to hard cap AB at the 1s hasted GCD without buffs. Since you will be without full haste buffs the majority of any end-game fight, more Haste is always beneficial. The standard rule for Arcane is, "you can never have enough Haste".

Rotation (AB=Arcane Blast, MB=Missle Barrage, AM=Aracne Missles):

AB x4 >> MB proc

***Do Not use MB proc until you have 4 stacks of AB.
    ***If MB hasn't proc'd when you hit 4 stacks of AB, continue to cast AB until it does.
    ***Only Use ABarr if you have to move and won't be able to clear your 4 stacks of AB with an MB proc.

Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you need info for Fire or even Frost PvE, or if you have any questions about the arcane info.

Thanks Dynasor! If you have info about Fire and Frost PvE, I'd be more than happy to add it in!

For a tank, I'm becoming pretty accomplished at rezzing things.

+ Reply to Thread