+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Righteous Defense macro to assist mouseover enemy

Righteous Defense macro to assist mouseover enemy

Hello.

I am looking for a macro that assists my mouseover mob.
    With other words, when I see someone gets aggro, I can mouseover that mob, press my macro which will assist the mob's target and casts righteous defense on it.

Is this possible?

I have googled for this and haven't found anything, apologies if I didn't look well enough.

Sincerely,

Beastly | Twisting Nether-EU
    Last edited by Kazeyonoma; 01-04-2010 at 01:08 PM.

Righteous Defense does this automatically since 2.3?

There are two ways to taunt with Righteous Defense, using Righteous Defense on a friendly target will taunt up to 3 mobs attacking that target. Using righteous defense on a enemy target will simply taunt that target.

So unless I misunderstood what your trying to do, all you need to do is create a normal mouseover taunt macro.

/cast [@mouseover] yourspell

or

/cast [@mouseovertarget] yourspell

Almost that, Helgi. Righteous Defense on a hostile will cast RD on the hostile's target. Basically it ate the macro for itself server-side.

So, for RD, you just need the /cast [@mouseover] Righteous Defense.

Please refrain from using special fonts/colors in future posts it makes it more difficult to read.

Just be glad your taunt works that way... Me feeling sad!

/cast [@mouseover] Righteous Defense
    This doesn't meet the requirements of the initial poster, because it also allows for mouseover of a friendly target. It is likely what was desired but not what was requested. Here is what was requested.

/cast [@mouseover,harm] [] Righteous Defense

This macro will only use the mouseover rule if the mouse is over a hostile unit and will resolve server side the automatic assist rule. Also has a fall through case to cast Righteous Defense on his current target if the mouseover target is invalid.

Whenever you are dealing with mouseover macros you should always include "help" or "harm" conditions otherwise the mouseover will evaluate as true in both context. Righteous Fury is an odd case because it does have a server rule where it will auto assist if targeting a hostile unit, however, most spells do not. It is a good practice to always include these conditionals in mouseover macros because you can't heal hostile units nor can you dps friendly units (no matter how often you try to kill that raid member, keeps giving you invalid target... least until the boss MCs them).

I don't play a paladin tank, however, personally if I were I would do the following.

/cast [@mouseover,help] [] Righteous Defense

And I would use Grid for aggro indication since it uses UnitThreatSituation API call, it can determine if a player has aggro from anything. Then simply use the Grid frame and mouseover the fiendly player who has the little aggro indicator pop up and hit the macro. Least that's how I would personally do it if I had a paladin higher than level 2 that was a tank.

I have the macro I wanted to have now with the help of a guildy.

#showtooltip Righteous Defense
    /cast [target=mouseover,help,nodead][help,nodead][target=targettarget,help,nodead]Righteous Defense
    /cast [target=mouseover] Righteous Defense
    /cast [@mouseover-target, harm] Righteous Defense
    Anyways thank you for all the replies.

Sincerely,
    Beastly

Drop the hyphen out of "mouseover-target".

Quote Originally Posted by Beastly View Post
    I have the macro I wanted to have now with the help of a guildy.

/cast [target=mouseover,help,nodead][help,nodead][target=targettarget,help,nodead]Righteous Defense
    /cast [target=mouseover] Righteous Defense
    /cast [@mouseover-target, harm] Righteous Defense

Anyways thank you for all the replies.

Sincerely,
    Beastly
    All you should need is this.

/cast [@mouseover] [] Righteous Defense

A better syntax would be this though (since it's good form to always define "help" and "harm" for mouseover):

/cast [@mouseover,help,nodead] [@mouseover,harm] [] Righteous Defense

The macro you posted with multiple cast commands has several major issues with it.
    1. Because it has multiple casts, the first cast that evaluates triggers the Global Cooldown and ability cooldown of Righteous Defense, thus causing any following cast of that ability to fail if it resolves, which it can in this case.
    2. Mouseover events are being processed at varying priority. You evaluate one mouseover event before your current target rules, you evaluate the others after your current target. In combat, as a tank you are likely to always have something targeted, even if you clear your target the next thing that attacks you that your are tanking will auto-target. So you have the [help,nodead] case if you are targeting a friendly player and the [target=targettarget,help,nodead] case if you are targeting a hostile unit, since you are always targeting something one of these two will resolve with one exception (if your current target is a healer mob healing another hostile target, the target of target case won't work). Since those two using your current target will almost always resolve, all the later ones will almost never resolve. After that you have a new cast that uses only mouseover. Now in the event that you were targeting a healer mob and you actually did fall through to this case, you would execute this if you were mouseover an ally or a hostile unit (because of the server side rule that you can cast on a hostile unit). Then after that you have something that is checking the target of your mouseover, but that's not possible, because you already cast the ability on your mouseover regardless of what it was, therefore you would never check its target. The last case would never fire.

Quote Originally Posted by vine View Post
    Drop the hyphen out of "mouseover-target".
    To elaborate on that.

Hyphen is only required for actual names if you were to use them in a macro. Such as:

/cast [@Quinafoi-target] Hammer of Justice

"Quinafoi" isn't a built in unit id that the game recognizes, though if I am grouped with you it is unique and known.

When you are using standard unit ids:
    target
    partyN
    raidN
    arenaN
    mouseover
    focus
    player

You do not need the hyphen when assisting, instead you would use:
    targettarget
    partyNtarget
    raidNtarget