+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 5man - 10man DPS differance

5man - 10man DPS differance

Im an Arms warrior and i do about 4k in 5 mans an rarely see many others above me in the dps tables in randoms
    also most guildies on 5 man runs dont do as much

but when we hit the 10 mans i maybe push up to about 4.5k while others such as Spriests are seeing 5-6k
    Do they just scale better with the raid buffs or am i missing something

It's rotation time. Stuff dies too fast in heroics for them to get through the rotation, whereas a raid takes more time and the dps pushes higher because they get through the rotation. I was running with an unholy DK in some heroics (a friend) and he was laughing because his dps was terrible until we hit the bosses. He simply couldn't get through his rotation before the mob died, so his dps looked bad.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

ahh where as i can steam in with an execute proc or 2 and reel off a couple of 8k crits on trash in 5mans. lol

As a quick edit to my post... "terrible" dps is relative. Terrible being 2.5k when the tank is doing anywher from 1.9k-2.1k and the norm is over 3.5k dps for the person. Just to clear up any confusion/questions as to how "terrible" the dps is.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Every thing in the Arms arsenal hits so hard that with the autocrit from OP that you can basically autopilot your way to 4k with decent gear (I'm considering myself decently geared even though I don't have a weapon enchant =p).

But, having run with a T10 ret pally that was melting things... my dps dropped to about 2k on trash (!). I just couldn't get my windup on anything. I remember pulls where I would charge, rend, ms, op, SS/BS and things would all be dead before BS was done.

Arms is a very "bursty" spec, meaning it can deliver heavy damage in a short period of time, but doesn't really get that much stronger over time. Builds like Affliction locks and Shadow priests, however, benefit from longer fights because they can complete their full rotation multiple times.

Locks and mages need a good 20 sec on a target to get everything running ... what trash in heroic stays up that long.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

In overgeared heroics, a FFB mage can look horrible on trash, too. 2.5ish main nuke cast, 12 seconds for bombs to go off. A lot of trash doesn't live long enough to get to the best parts.

A shadowpriest can still do a lot in 5 mans with the right dotting/haste/mind sear technique. Of course, it all depends on how good the rest of the group is. 2 other melee with the same gear/skill would seriously nerf an SPs DPS. melee generally do well in heroics because of cleave and upfront dmg but when it comes to sustained DPS (such as 10 man raids) then the playing field is levelled.
    Xíanth <Valkyria>

Quote Originally Posted by woodyman View Post
    Im an Arms warrior and i do about 4k in 5 mans an rarely see many others above me in the dps tables in randoms
    also most guildies on 5 man runs dont do as much
    I may not know the current specs too well, but are you one of the warriors that charges together with the tank then uses whirlwind+sweeping strikes+enrage ?

If that's you, you just made baby Jesus cry. /offtopic

On topic: do note that the higher the dps potential of the party members, the lower the dps of a particular person will become.

I have seen many a guild heroics where the dps were very closely spaced, at ~3k dps each, and they were equally skilled and geared ICC raiders who could do 6-9k dps in raids.
    This is due to mobs having only so much health, high dps from one "steals" dps from the others by depleting mob available dps time.

I hate doing single pulls in heroics, can't do anything, but not very effective to just AoE everything

Quote Originally Posted by Timberton View Post
    I may not know the current specs too well, but are you one of the warriors that charges together with the tank then uses whirlwind+sweeping strikes+enrage ?

If that's you, you just made baby Jesus cry. /offtopic
    No im the one that hangs back till tank has aggro'd all the mobs then take out the tanks main target before aoe'ing the rest of them
    if i aggro an die i know its my fault

comes from tankin 99% of the time
    dont worry no baby jesus crying here

You also have to look at the other classes in the raid. Recently my Lock has been stuck in a lot of melee-heavy raids. Rogues, Warriors, Ret Pallies, all helping each other out in DPS with buffs and debuffs. No elemental Shaman, no Boomkin, No Spriest, No Mage so all I get is the 3% crit from the Ret Pally if he's there. Now, if those classes were there and the Ret Pally and Rogue were not, the Warrior would be in the tough position.

This is why it's good to figure out and build your DPS on standalone factors, and then know that, going into a group, it will likely go up.

+ Reply to Thread