+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hit/Expertise Question

Hit/Expertise Question

So, I'm about to pick up Headplate of the Honorbound - Item - World of Warcraft to replace Helm of the Crestfallen Challenger - Item - World of Warcraft

The nice thing about the upgrade is the 69 Expertise rating, which (to my knowledge) should put me above the Expertise soft cap with the Orc +5 Expertise racial. However, I will drop down to 228 Hit rating (6.95%) which is under the soft cap. I'm wondering if I'm better off becoming Expertise capped and sacrificing the Hit (as I've heard Expertise>Hit). If I wanted to be both Hit/Expertise soft capped I would have to gem for Hit which I've tired to avoid doing.

Any advice on how I should go about this would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by gabbu View Post
    Yes, I've read this. I was just wondering if always taking Expertise>Hit is still recommended even when not Hit capped, but I guess that article already answers that question to a degree. Regardless, thank you.

You're better off softcapping expertise than having any hit at all. The only thing you need to worry about hit for is taunt-sensitive fights, for which case you have vigilance for the other tank, as well as glyph of taunt. No need for any hit anywhere at all. It's nice to have, sure, more attacks landing is always better, but if your threat is just bad, it has nothing to do with your threat stats in your gear at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Anything over 200 is fine for hit (you rarely miss taunts) and the upgrade to expertise is very nice. Definitely go for it

Expertise always, unless you're a pally iirc. They don't need as much

As squirrelnut said, you rarely miss taunts and really only need hit for heroic boss taunting if you don't want to spare the glyph like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlite View Post
    Yes, I've read this. I was just wondering if always taking Expertise>Hit is still recommended even when not Hit capped, but I guess that article already answers that question to a degree. Regardless, thank you.

Yes its always better, keep a glyph of taunt handy for taunt sensitive fights like saurfang, NB etc etc and use that. Atleast that what I do.

+ Reply to Thread