+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pally tank need advice

Pally tank need advice

I keep getting told in heroics that I cannot take a hit and need some advice on my pally.
    Here is my gear The World of Warcraft Armory

and here is my talent tree The World of Warcraft Armory

any help would be appriciated

Probably a talents problem. You're missing the two most useful talents for a Prot Paladin - Ardent Defender and Judgements of the Just.

Ardent Defender is what "Last Stand" is for warriors in a way. An Extra Life. Without it, you might as well be a dead meat shield if you get slammed at, say, the last boss in Pit of Saron. He hits hard for one of his skills.

Judgements of the Just is your "Thunderclap". Reduction in attack speed is a good thing which means less incoming damage in the same period without said talent.

Remove Reckoning because odds are the extra swings don't count as much threat as you think it gives you. Plus it's a flimsy talent as well. Needs to proc to work. Might as well work on survival.

Otherwise, replace your Judgement glyph with "Divine Plea" and use it every chance you can get and keep it up. The 3% less damage makes some difference.

Good luck.
    Healing is the source of life. Without it, you're left with death.

For gear, you are high on hit, a tad low on armor and health - nothing that upgrades won't fix. (In other words, you are doing good but there's room for improvement.) You should change all gems to having a stamina aspect - Get purple and green gems for getting those socket bonuses, and lose all gems that give attack power, strength and defense. You can replace your dodge trinket with the glyph of indomitability for a sizable survival upgrade.

Your talents aren't that well spread. You don't need sanctity of battle, reckoning or benediction. You do need judgements of the just (probably the best survival talent there is) and ardent defender. Put points you have left in pursuit of justice and improved blessing of might (you'll get a surprising amount of use out of it.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

More than jsut a spec problems, you have major gemming issues. Tanks NEVER EVER EVER gem for AP. You're using green quality (cheap) gems in an few slots, and blue quality in a few others. With the SoV glyph you've got 31 expertice, 5 over the soft cap, yet you're gemming expertice and you've got the expertice chant on your bracers instead of +40 stam. Your hit rating is also above a lever that I'd call acceptable (180-200 hit is usually fine if as long as you're not having threat issues), and you're gemming for hit too. Gemming for strenth is usually a bad idea too unless you're building a threat set for a specific purpose.

99% of encounters will favor a tank with blue +stam gems in every slot, except one purple (dodge+stam or agil+stam) in a spot that will get you a good socket bonus. Expertice and hit should come from gear.

Lastly, don't use cheap green quality gems. They just cream out "i don't care" to anyone who inspects you. Gold is easy to come by via dailies, and you're a JC which is also a great money making profession. Swap those gems for epic stam ones.

thanks for all the advice I will be changing things up alot on my pally thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by lightmissle View Post
    I keep getting told in heroics that I cannot take a hit and need some advice on my pally.
    Here is my gear The World of Warcraft Armory

and here is my talent tree The World of Warcraft Armory

any help would be appriciated
    You only need 1/2 in SA, put the other into Combat Expertise, and drop the expertise gem(s) replacing them w/ pure stam. You should easily be at soft cap (26) w/ Seal up.

Your Ret talents are *sort of* up to you, but taking imp BoM is silly...1. a ret pally should have it, and 2. You should be using BoSanc to tank with. Put 1 into benediction if you like (lowers mana cost of instant spells...guess what...with one exception (Exorcism, limited use) they are all instant!). Put the other into Conviction for the 1% Crit.

If you use HoJ a lot, (I don't) I guess the 2 points in ImpHoJ are ok, but you'd be better served moving them elsewhere (mine are in Divine Guardian, but I raid tank, and it's easier for the healers to heal one target than 10).

I also have Tuskarr's on my boots, and put the 2 points you have in PoJ into Conviction for a total of 3% crit.

This is my opinion, not so humble, and your mileage may vary.
    I'm an alt-oholic. I'm ok with that.
    http://warcraftid.com/card/170/n/73a...f/sholozar.jpg

Your spec is still kinda odd...you got the Divine Sacrifice talent, but not the complement that transforms it into a raid-wide shield wall. You also did not fill Combat Expertise, giving up a couple points of expertise and stam scaling.
    Try, instead, only using 1 out of 2 points in spiritual attunement, and put that point in Combat Expertise. If you really don't want the damage reduction from divine sacrifice, it can stay as it is...otherwise swap the points from improved hammer of justice into it. It also buffs your sacred shield, which is always a good thing when there isn't a holy pally sticking to you.

+ Reply to Thread