+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to tanking.. Which class

New to tanking.. Which class

hello tank nOOb here!! New to the forums came by looking for info and man this site has a lot of good stuff. Ok on to the question. Background info:
    I have a lvl 70 Warrior and a lvl 72 DK - not that the lvl really means anything to the question...
    I have always been a healer (80 Druid, Priest in Vanilla and BC) and have a 80 rogue too now.

Here is the question - I want to lvl a tank but not sure which one to do? I would also like to be able to DPS with the toon although not sure if that will matter in the advice. Which is the "better" tank type for a person new to tanking. Should I just stick with the DK cause tanking is not to different from DPSing with it or should I go for the Warrior? This is the problem with being an Alt a-holic. I would like to thank you in advance for what I am sure will be great advice!

Well i believe that warrior tanking is the most difficult. i enjoy it the most. I also believe that they can be the BEST tanks for any situation, as long as you are glyphed / specced appropriately. For example, if u were tanking heroics, if you used glyph of cleaving sunder and devastate i believe that you hold threat better than a pally or DK just throwin down D&D / consecrate and using Hammer / pestilence, BB, etc.
    If you're specced into imp cleave in the fury tree its easy to AoE tank (with the glyphs of course) and i believe warriors can also be the best at boss tanking because of the 15 / 3 / 53 spec + Blood Draining. i dont think any class can hold as much single target aggro as the warrior, maybe more AoE threat depending on the spec.
    To sum it up though, because i know i have been rambling about the warrior, all tanking classes are fun. They all require lots of skill, its not as simple as people may think. A paladin is more than Righteous Fury and consecrate and a DK is more than D&D + Frost Presence + Pestilence. And of course a druid is more than just spam swipe. it all depends on your style.

Short answer: Play what appeals to you (level both to 80 if you can).

Long answer: Play them both until you realize warrior is the superior tanking class (can you tell I've been playing a warrior since Aug. '06?). xD

Warrior tanking can be difficult to learn at first, especially holding AoE threat against impatient DPSers, but with practice comes perfection and I've noticed I hold AoE threat just as well as a Paladin or DK now. I can't comment on Paladin or DK tanking as I've yet to do either past level 65ish, hopefully others can give you some more information.

Between a DK and a Warrior, I'd choose Warrior.

Personally I'd go for DK. I find that the pulls are alot easier, especially with casters pulling them to where you want and having your interrupts, not to mention the awesome self heals through blood and the ability to solo some heroic bosses with the proper spec and gear. So far the hardest boss I've soloed is Garfrost on heroic as a blood DK. It was awesome.

And just to mix things up, here's a paladin telling you paladins are the most fun tanking class. Between warrior and DK, I'd probably go with DK since Death Grip is SOOOO nice at positioning caster/hunter mobs that don't want to move.

But really, whichever you enjoy more. You will never be faced with a situation where your class will hold you back. I've seen warriors rule AOE tanking, I've seen paladins rock single target threat, and DKs are just plainly overpowered and have always been. Pick one, level it, enjoy tanking. People will love you.

take your time and hit 80 with both toons and do some heroics and raids on each. By the time cataclysm hits you will have had plenty of time to figure out the basics as well as how each class feels at tanking in small to large groups. Cataclysm will do 2 things: reset everyone to zero as well as rewrite how the game plays. Its too late to switch toons imo but by the time we get a preview of the new trees you will have enough experience to say come xpac i can really make this guy work with what they are changing here. That way you can find a good home early and help them gear and get yourself situated come lvl 85.

I cant stress this enough the chapter is closing on lich king fast and we will see new talent trees as well as well as new raid philosphy from what blizzard learned from lich king. By the time you feel proficient in either one blizz will turn around and drop patch 4.0 which will change the game greatly. Having both toons at 80 and knowing the basics will allow you a greater oppertunity to pick the toon you feel will be most rewarding due to your playstyle as well as the changes to how raids/dungeons will work.
    Last edited by Hammerfists; 01-03-2010 at 01:18 AM.

+ Reply to Thread