+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need some help :)

Need some help :)

Well, I am new here. Hi .

But, I need some advice. I am semi-new to warrior tanking, and am having a few problems.

When off tanking, my rage just isn't generating fast enough either due to not taking enough damage or even to another warrior tank.

Another thing, I am having MAJOR problems with AOE tanking, I just can't seem to get the threat out to keep the mobs. I normally Devastate the first one for about 2x stacks of sunder, then thunder clap/shockwave/cleave. What else can I really do?

Lastly, can you please give me ANY advice possible on my gear(Along with gems/enchants)? I would very much so appreciate it!

US - Ravencrest (name: bubbadump)
    Last edited by Untold1337; 01-02-2010 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Untold1337 View Post
    Well, I am new here. Hi .

But, I need some advice. I am semi-new to warrior tanking, and am having a few problems.

When off tanking, my rage just isn't generating fast enough either due to not taking enough damage or even to another warrior tank.
    Tank more mobs, and remember that if you are not killing the adds, you don't need a ton of threat. You could also look into talented rage generation, not sure about that.
    Another thing, I am having MAJOR problems with AOE tanking, I just can't seem to get the threat out to keep the mobs. I normally Devastate the first one for about 2x stacks of sunder, then thunder clap/shockwave/cleave. What else can I really do?
    Start with your AoE moves so they are off cooldown sooner. Make sure your dps knows to give you a small lead, and mark mobs. You don't need a complete kill order, but burning down one mob first should give you the lead you need in threat.
    (It also prevents people from single-targeting different mobs.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Awesome, thanks for the advice . Any advice as far as my gear/gems/enchants?

I forgot my manners.

Welcome to tankspot!

As for gear and enchants, it looks good to me. I'd make some minor tweaks here and there (you are high on hit, low on expertise, high-ish on avoidance, could use some more armor and stamina), but nothing major or world-shattering. Maybe get the 245 badge trinket instead of the onyxia blood talisman.
    I like going for the bigger socket bonuses as well, (in your pants, you could trade 6 stamina for 10 expertise rating, for example,) but you seem to be on the right track.

You should get that second profession up, though. If you can afford it, drop mining and go for jewelcrafting, blacksmithing or engineering. If you are strapped for cash, mining isn't a bad choice at all.

Should I replace pieces like my shoulders for the 245 and ruin the set bonuses?

Tier 9 set bonuses are pretty unimpressive. I wouldn't worry about breaking them.

You could replace the dodge gem in your gloves with a stamina gem, and replace your Onyxia trinket with a stamina or armor trinket soon as you can. Avoidance is really only something you should gear for for Deathbringer Saurfang at this point.

Your spec is a little funky. Cruelty is extremely unnecessary, and you're missing out on Deep Wounds and Impale, which might help you in that AoE tanking trouble you're having. Try this build: 15/3/53

Now, as far as rage generation while off tanking, if you aren't currently tanking the target, you probably don't need much rage, because when it becomes your turn to tank, you'll taunt, get hit, and have infinite rage again. It's not a huge issue.

When it comes to multi-mob tanking, my advice is charge in, thunderclap, shield slam, shockwave, thunderclap, then continue spamming single target threat moves and cleave, using thunderclap and shockwave whenever they're off cooldown. Devastate is not you introductory threat ability. It does lower threat than shield slam, and it's not worth the effort to stack the debuffs before you start controlling the mobs.

Finally, if you're having any kind of survivability troubles, I'd recommend glyphing Shield Wall over Revenge. You'll be amazed how much less damage you take when you can use a 2 minute cooldown proactively rather than using a 4 minute cooldown reactively.

^ What Reev and martie said definitely. You also might benefit from the guide in my signature!
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Okay, as far as the gem in my gloves I need the dodge for the meta.

I will definetely try that build. Thanks for the great advice as far as attacks.

Any other specific gems I should change out? Should i replace my onyxia trinket with the badge trinket? Thanks!

Yes, glyph of indominability > ony trinket. If you need a red gem you can use a hybrid gem instead of a straight color, so grab a 10 dodge/15 stam gem to match your meta.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Okay, should I try to hit every socket bonus? Such as my +9 stamina socket bonuses and such.

Depends on what you get for the stamina sacrificed, I'd consider every one of them seriously, but probably not get them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Untold1337 View Post
    Okay, should I try to hit every socket bonus? Such as my +9 stamina socket bonuses and such.
    Typically warriors only gem for +9 stam bonuses or more if they only have to use 1 hybrid gem (so never go for a red and yellow socket bonus, or a 3 socket bonus that requires 1 of each color, etc.). If it's a blue and red or blue and yellow socket bonus with +9 stam or better, then use a hybrid gem to hit it. For yellow you can use 10def/15stam for red you have a lot of options (agi/dodge/expertise/parry)/15stam.

+ Reply to Thread