+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot Warrior - sanity check

Prot Warrior - sanity check

I've spent some time with Rawr and tankspot trying to get my head around the best practices for gems/enchants/etc. I think I've done a pretty good job, but would like a sanity check. Is there anything out of line? Something silly I missed that would help things out a bit? (Outside of the gem mixup on my pants, I know I need to switch that around.)

I feel like I have some issues with multi-mob tanking, but I don't know if that's just a class-specific issue, or if its me.

Any advice, tips, etc would be great. Thanks for your time.

Armory - Dawnbringer|Varler

For gemming gem all stamina unless the slot bonus is 9 stamina or higher in which case put in a 15 stam hybrid gem. If you use Rawr make sure you use Burst mode since that is the most realistic of all of the options, keep in mind that Rawr doens't take in unavoidable damage valuing stamina even higher.

For your enchants get the pvp enchant for your shoulders and 18 stamina to your gloves. An easy upgrade for your trinket is the Glyph of Indomitability. For multi-mob tanking charge in, use Thunder Clap right when I get in, use Heroic Throw and Shield Bash to silence the casters and at that point I use Shockwave followed by Thunder Clap and when those two abilitys are on cd I spam cleave and tab target with single target abilitys.

Just so I understand -- gem all stam, even at the expense of hit and expertise?

Yes, hit and expertise aren't really needed they are just threat stats and if you aren't having threat problems they are useless. The only time hit is important is if you have are in an encounter where it is crucial to land a taunt and in that case just use the Glyph of Taunt. If it comes down between expertise and hit though take expertise since it also adds survival through parry haste.

Your spec is good, although I prefer Focused rage and only 2/5 shield spec, but that's a personal choice, and both should work alright.

Your gemming is a little wonky. As krc said, get to 540 defense, then gem stamina. If you can get a 9+ stamina bonus from the socket bonus by only changing one gem from stamina, do that. Also, you should need 1 red gem for your meta activation. Stam/Dodge is good for that. If you're really feeling threatened on your threat, you can take a stam/expertise gem.

Lastly, Devastate should never be your go-to aggro move. You use that only when your other things (shield slam, revenge, Thunderclap/Shockwave for group pulls) are on cooldown.

Well, Devastate shouldn't be your goto move unless you're glyphed for it, in which case it becomes better than revenge.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Better for threat, not damage, and I prefer the damage over the threat. Besides, the chance to stun mobs with it on trash is also nice from a mitigation standpoint.

I'd like to know why prot pallys have considerably more dps than prot warriors with similar gear. Im only pulling 1500 - 1700 dps on the meter and pallys of similar gear are pulling 2.5k dps!
    Wish I could do more dps

I do around 2.5k dps, you might look into your spec and rotation, I don't have an armory for you Chronic, so I can't really give you more advice.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

The rotation for Max dps and Max threat is different, i know that seems fairly obvious but i believe the dps rotation is 5 sunders and then forget about devastate unless other CDs are down. i THINK it is something like

Shield Slam > Revenge > Concussion Blow > Shockwave > thunderclap (for Deep wounds effect if it isnt up) .

My character name is Chronus on Durotan U.S. for a look at my spec and gear any helps is greatfully appreciated ty guys.

Chronic, you are in arms gear at the moment so the best thing I can give you is Agg's extensive prot warrior guide http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/6...ing-guide.html

ok im in tank gear now .. im using more emphasis on the rotation Dimetris has suggested and i actually am hitting 2100 dps now... and Agg's guide is gr8 help thanx much!

for your multi target tanking probelm id have to give you this simple advice.. multi target tanking as a warrior is a little togh to get the hang of no matter how many times people tell you to do some "super easy rotation". i simply tanked the hell out of heroics and it gradually became easier for me. memorize the average AoE tanking rotation that im sure 100 people have already posted here but dont expect to get the hang of it right off, the point of a warrior with all of our diffrent buttons comppared to a pallys astounding 2 buttons is that we can adapt to diffrent situations more easily. noone can really instruct you exactly how to AoE tank because its something u need to learn and get the hang of. practice the rotations but dont be afraid to go out of the box a little too. maybe add in a shield block before you begin your rotation to add some threat or other things like that.

alot of people make the mistake of following the rotation like midless idiots and thats not what warriors are about, learn how to use your skills not when. its muuuch easier this way

+ Reply to Thread