+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Confusing Prot Pally Weapon Choices

Confusing Prot Pally Weapon Choices

Greetings, i've been a long time skimmer here, but never posted. Natural laziness.

I've recently come across some interesting opinions, and i'd like to seek the opinions of people who know what they are on about. I am new to paladin tanking, but my main is a druid tank so I know the general basics.

I've recently over the last few weeks upgraded my weapon 4 times.

I started off upgrading from the quested axe in Zul'drak to Lucky Old Sun from Normal Pits of Saron. A decent tanking mace for someone just gearing up according to everything i've read. Took me 3 days to get Falric's Wrist Chopper, which according to what I read was the best heroic drop for a prot pally. I was happy with that for quite awhile, until I was booted from an Ony10 raid because I said it was better than Rimefang's Claw when asked why I used the axe and not the sword.

Did a bit more reasearch, and obtained the Claw just in case. Used it for awhile but didn't really notice it being significantly better at all. Just swapped them around when people compained.

Now, 2 Days ago I managed to get Burnished Quel'Serrar and was very pleased with it, even given the lack of stats compared to either Falrics or Rimefangs.

The core group who did the Ony25 run invited me to tank Toc10, which I jumped to do since I needed a few things. Anub Dropped the Argent Guard sword, to which the other prot pally with Falrics laughed at, saying it was junk compared to Falrics, and I should take it until I could upgrade it to Falrics and get rid of the Burnished Quel'Serrar I was using as it wasn't good for pallies.

I've spent the last couple hours reading the topics here and elsewhere, but I cant find a comparison between these few items, for a prot pally.

Which do you all think is better for a prot pally?

I personally prefer the itemization of Rimefang's Claw over the Wrist Chopper but realistically the difference is negligible in most situations. As for Burnished Quel'Serrar, I'd take that in most any tanking encounter over the others due to the reported uptime of the proc.

Its uptime isn't 100%, but its very close to that. On the target dummy with only weapon swings it was at least 90%.

Rimefang's is superior to Falric's because it trades block for actual avoidance.
    Burnished Quel'Serrar is the best for EHP because of the armor.
    Ardent guard is bad, spends WAY too much itemization on the passive armor.
    Last edited by Taio; 01-03-2010 at 02:38 AM. Reason: spelling on Ardent Guard

Honestly it just comes down to what you need. Falric's is great for Trash, and Anub'arak Adds (which I think is mentioned in the thread about Anub Add tanking). Rimefang's is probably better for pure avoidance, useful for Saurfang encounters. Right now though, I myself is using Ardent Guard for general tanking. Armor is nice though it doesn't have great stats for avoidance and such.

Edit: I dont' have the Burnish Quel'Serrar, but everyone seems to swear by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaio View Post
    Argent guard is bad, spends WAY too much itemization on the passive armor.
    Wait what? I mean... I'd still rate a few weapons higher than the 232 version of Argent Guard, but the heroic version is BiS as far as I'm concerned (until ICC drops).

I'd rank what the OP has as:

BQS (by leaps and bounds)
    AG
    Rimfang's Claw
    Wrist Chopper
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Sorry, I was referring to the 232 version of AG, which is inferior to Rimefang's though most likely superior to Falric's (imho).

Booted from a raid for stating your weapon preference? Some people need to take things a little less seriously imo. All the weapons you're mentioning are close enough to eachother to make very little "real world" difference in your damage intake or threat generation. Generally you want to go with the highest Ilvl tanking weapon you can get your hands on, in this case it's Burnished Quel'Serrar.

Another thing every1 here has failed to note, Quel'Serrar has a weapon speed of 2.0 vs. 1.6 of the other weapons listed. For a prot pally the slower the weapon the greater your TPS will be. I often swap out my actual "tanking" weapons to use the hellscream slicer(weapon speed is 2.6) from anub 25.

+ Reply to Thread