+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How much Hit?

How much Hit?

This may dovetail with my other thread about gear upgrades. But what I'm wondering and can't seem to find a clear answer on is this. How much hit is necessary/recommended for a pally tank. I'm currently sitting around 206 hit, but some of my better gear upgrades are going to cost me some hit rating. I know that being 263 or more would be ideal, but how low is too low? My expertise is at the soft cap, so I should be ok there.

ty all.

Des

Hit from a tanks perspective servers two purposes.

1. Hit is a DPS stat, by increasing the DPS of the tank, you are increasing their threat generation.
    2. Hit improves the chance of your abilities hitting the target, in particular taunt.

Certain fights require you to taunt in a timely fashion and do so reliably without missing. In those cases a tank may choose to wear additional hit gear, or they may simply just opt to use their second taunt if the first fails (provided it is acceptable, wouldn't be acceptable for a warrior to hit Challenging Shout to taunt Gluth in Naxxramas, cause any Zombie Chow as well within range would also wonder over and heal the boss).

In general, so long as you generate more threat than the DPS (and healers, though typically that won't be the problem), hit is fine. The tank serves two key roles in a raid.

1. Piss the thing off more than anyone else so it doesn't go and play whack a gnome with your DPS. (Threat Generation)
    2. Survive being able to piss it off. (Survivability)

You gear for threat and you gear for survivability. If your threat is fine, work on survivability. If your threat is falling behind, work on threat. That's all you gear for, the rest is technique.

*edit*
    One additional note, avoid going above 8% melee hit chance (10% spell hit chance) because at that point many of your abilities will no longer miss. Some abilities like taunts may still miss because they may follow spell hit rules. Though it still wouldn't be advisable to exceed this amount of hit.
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 12-31-2009 at 10:44 AM.

The answer is much simpler:

Until you are expertise 26, whatever you happen to get from gear. You are over def cap and have +def gems. Switch those out for exp/stam or straight exp(prolly straight for a couple).

Hit hasn't been an issue in my experience until you start doing hard modes or ICC 25 man.

There is a warrior in my guild that was capped hit and almost no expertise. I could out threat him easily with like 50 hit.

I think I'm good on Expertise (30 Exp Skill). It's my hit specifically that I'm worrying about. Currently, I'm sitting at 206 Hit rating, but my biggest upgrade right now will cost me 60 Hit, putting me around 146. That's my concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Destrier View Post
    I think I'm good on Expertise (30 Exp Skill). It's my hit specifically that I'm worrying about. Currently, I'm sitting at 206 Hit rating, but my biggest upgrade right now will cost me 60 Hit, putting me around 146. That's my concern.
    Again...

If threat isn't a problem for you, focus on survivability. This always holds true.

You may want to hold onto the piece of hit gear in case you feel it is needed on a certain fight. If your DPS is doing 6k threat per second, you better be doing more than 6k threat per second. But you don't necessarily need to be doing 15k threat per second. It's good to have room for the DPS to grow, but a tank doesn't gear solely for threat generation. So long as you are still able to hold agro off your DPS with 60 less hit... you are fine without that hit.

Sorry, didn't have an armory profile so I got The World of Warcraft Armory from http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f175/...ar-advice.html

That shows you have 20 expertise, so that was what I was going on.

I had to switch back to my tank set after doing a run as dps. I probably didn't have SoV up, and with the glyph I'm usually around 30 Exp. I do try to maintain that above 26.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinafoi View Post
    Again...

If threat isn't a problem for you, focus on survivability. This always holds true.

You may want to hold onto the piece of hit gear in case you feel it is needed on a certain fight. If your DPS is doing 6k threat per second, you better be doing more than 6k threat per second. But you don't necessarily need to be doing 15k threat per second. It's good to have room for the DPS to grow, but a tank doesn't gear solely for threat generation. So long as you are still able to hold agro off your DPS with 60 less hit... you are fine without that hit.
    this^ Excess threat is completely useless and for taunt crucial fights just grab the Glyph of Taunt. There is no real need to focus on expertise or hit but if it comes down between the two take expertise since it also adds survival through less parry haste.

Quote Originally Posted by krc View Post
    this^ Excess threat is completely useless and for taunt crucial fights just grab the Glyph of Taunt. There is no real need to focus on expertise or hit but if it comes down between the two take expertise since it also adds survival through less parry haste.
    This within the this. Hit is only a factor if taunt is crucial, or if its extremely low to the point of affecting threat (say less than 100). And of the two I mentioned, the taunt is the bigger issue, which is why you glyph for it as required.

Hit is simply to make your attacks not miss so you generate more threat. Expertise is to make your attacks not get dodged or parried which serves 2 purposed. Avoiding bosses using parry haste (they start attacking faster after they parry) and of course generating more threat. Expertise cap is important for tanks, dps will always dps behind boss so they won't get parried so it's important for dodge just not as important as it is for tanks

To kind of echo what people were saying before:

The short answer to this is: don’t worry about hit. If you are doing your rotation correctly, threat really shouldn’t be an issue. Most people in high end T9 gear are raiding with 30 +/- 6 expertise and 60 +/- 40 hit. It is really NOT A BIG DEAL to be hit capped. I’d recommend looking elsewhere than hit if you are having threat problems because simply put, you just don’t need it. Threat for tanks is interesting because generating 1k TPS more doesn’t really matter as long as it is still higher than the highest DPS’s TPS, and probably won’t be the crux in beating an enrage timer. Threat right now is pretty much like saying, “I don’t have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you.”

Many people get concerned that their taunts are going to miss if they don't have high hit rating. This is true, however, it is far better to simply glyph taunt than it is to sacrifice survivability in your gear. If you are doing a fight that requries a taunt to land, just glyph it.

That's taken from my guide in my sig but I changed some of the wording to be more accurate. But basically krc is right, if you need taunt to land, glyph it, if you're not having threat issues, don't worry about it.

Come to think of it, I wonder why I even bother posting in thread's krc has already posted in.... *wanders off*
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

+ Reply to Thread