+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is the playerbase, on average, getting younger?

Is the playerbase, on average, getting younger?

Just a little disclaimer before I start - Since the start of WOTLK I have been in a fairly strange situation in that I've ran a well progressed 10 man strict guild in one of the most dead alliance servers on the EU side, so my experience of players comes from a fairly small sample size.

Anyway, back when I started playing the game I was 20 and a lot of the people I have played with through the years since vanilla have been 18+ but more often around the same age as me. Now, obviously I'm a lot older but it seems to me that everytime I meet someone new they are 18 or way, way younger. Likewise, when we get applications for our guild (both on server and X server) the people are always under 18. In vanilla wow I think I met around 4 or 5 people out of 100s that were under 18.

Has anyone had similar experiences over the course of the game, or is my situation more to blame than anything else? I'm interested to know.
    Xíanth <Valkyria>

Can't say I've noticed anything of the sort. There have always been tons of teens and slightly less tons of twenty-somethings and considerably less older people playing. Only thing I've noticed is myself getting older compared to the average player age.

The sad reality, is we're all getting older =*(*****

No i haven't noticed, my guild recruits only 18+ people and if anything recruitment has gotten better.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    The sad reality, is we're all getting older =*(*****

No i haven't noticed, my guild recruits only 18+ people and if anything recruitment has gotten better.
    Gotta go with this.

When i GM'd my first guild in 2004 over half my raiders were in their teens. These days my guildmates are at an average age of mid-20's to early 30's. It's not as though we go out of our way to say "18+ ONLY!" We just don't get apps from the younger crowd anymore.

Honestly I think the younger generation is more interested in Modern Warfare and Xbox games than MMOs, but that is just what it sounds like: my over-generalized and uneducated opionion =).

Don't know. I'm always one of the old farts, anyway. (I'm 40, with teenagers who play)

I'm a 40something Mom with one teenager who plays. I originally started playing to "protect" my 11 yr old when he started.. the average age of the players have always felt young to me!

Happy New Year's Eve ~

well I started playing WoW just last year when I was 16. I don't run into many younger players on my realm, and I think I'm the only one under 18 in my guild.

+ Reply to Thread