+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to Pvp

New to Pvp

OK I figured this would be a good place to start. This week me and some friends decided to get into pvp. here are the teams we came up with
    2's) Disc priest (me) ele shaman
    3's) Disc priest, ele shaman, ret pally
    5's) Disc priest, ele shaman, rogue, blood dk, enhance shaman

We started out with the 2s team, within a week we have hit 1000 rating and are doing fairly well for having little pvp gear. Working on the fly is simple due to the limited number of players.

Our 3's team has only done 6 matches, we won 2. Rogues seem to be our weak point right now, A decent team can lock me down till either myself or our shaman is dead.

Our 5's team we start this weekend. I am a bit worried. the craziness that goes on has me a little uneasy. I have been trying to find good guides to help me out and most places require you to know the team you go up against.

Any suggestions for a good disc guide for pvp? I believe I am doing well with the basics but want to know the more in depth habits so I can start ingraining them into myself. Also want some info on goals and playstlyes for 3's and 5's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler View Post
    I'm on a shark

I don't know much about disc priests unfortunately but somethings to know about healing in pvp

50% is a threshold, yes, this, not 20% not 30% like in pve, but 50% and sometimes 60% is a threshold at which you should never let your dps dip below, in most comps, this is when someone pops trinkets/cooldowns and cc trains to try to kill someone. so don't let anyone get below this, it's better to just keep someone at 100% but 50% should be your oh crap! moment to blow some cooldowns, although your mileage may vary.

Arena Strategy - Arena Junkies is sporting some old strategies so take them with some hesitation but a lot of the basic info about line of sighting and such still make sense, so give em a whirl. Understand other class mechanics as well (something I myself need work on) so you know your enemy, and realize that knowing, is half the fight.

Oh and don't give up. Always realize there was something thta could've been done better, and strive to be better, and don't get down if you face some losses, learn from them, and move on.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Also in my research I found that my 2's team is under the dont do category, however we seem to be doing fairly well. Any reason behind this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler View Post
    I'm on a shark

eh, i wouldn't say it's a don't do, it's a basic healer/dps combo, elemental shamans have very high dps output capabilities,and a priest is a very offensive healer (switching to help dps with holy fire/such or mana burning). The biggest problem is that a lot of guides and such assume you're already in the higher brackets of 1800+ where most comps that are run there will rofl you. If you're still in the sub 1500s just enjoy yourself and work on your own personal skill sets, as well as trying to figure out unique things your combo can do, nothing like a blood lust, hex/ fear combo while the two of you burn down a dps! ;P

Pretty much what Kazey said. If you're not worried about getting into the higher ratings then comp doesn't matter that much. If you do want to get serious I would suggest running one of these:

1. Disc Priest/ Frost Mage
    2. Disc Priest/ MutiPrep Rogue
    3. Disc Priest/ Feral Druid
    4. Disc Priest/ Marks Hunter

Ugh disc frost is so devastatingly good. Cc train while burn down and finish with a fear and its gg.

I would agree that a well played mage is probably about the scariest thing I could see in pvp. Between very reliable cc and ridiculous kiting ability they're a force to be reckoned with. Throw a disc priest or a rogue with them and be very afraid.

So far in my experience in Arena, I've seen that there's a world of difference between a poor mage player, an okay mage player, and a good mage player.

The good mage player usually will die last, and only after his partner has been killed and both your members are still alive.
    The okay mage player can generally be beaten one on one, since they kite alright, but forget about things like Spell Reflect.
    The poor mage player stands in Bladestorm.

Of the three, I like fighting the latter the most. :-)

+ Reply to Thread