+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Druid VS Warrior (Tank)

Druid VS Warrior (Tank)

I am currently in a guild that only does 10 man raids. We have Heroic 10 ToC on farm and we've cleared the first bosses of IIC. At the moment we are composed of

+Tanks - Warrior, Pally
    +Heals - Druid, Priest (Holy)
    +DSP - 2 Ret Pallys, Boomkin, Rogue, Ele Shaman, and a Shad Priest

Unfortunately we are losing our Warrior Tank. Our Ele Shaman wants to go resto, and thus the Druid is in a Pickle! Thats me, I do want to be a Tank, I've done it before in Naxx. However I do have a Warrior that I use as Prot.

So here's the big question, keeping in mind that both will need a lil help in being gear but thats not a big deal, which one would be best for the Raid? Switching the Druid from Tree to Bear or to bring in the Warrior and just replace the leaving warrior. (oh to fill the DPS spot will mostlikely will be brining in a Mage)

I've been looking for over a 2 days now to find some kind of site that has Pros and Cons for Tanking between the Druid and the Warrior but No Luck!

So any advice Helps! And Thank You!

Which do you think you'll play better? Which would you enjoy tanking with more?

I don't buy into the whole "warriors suck" or "zomg bears have no avoidance in ICC" gibberish, so use the one you want. You'll have an AoE tank either way (the paladin), so you have that covered no matter what, which would be my only concern.

Not to toot my own horn as a bear, but having played both a Prot Warrior and a Bear Druid, I would have to say that - in my personal opinion - bears are vastly superior to warriors when it comes to tanking most anything.

Just the massive HP pool alone is amazing. You'll typically have a good amount of armor over a warrior, as well. Sure, they'll typically have a little more avoidance, but you just can't replace EH.

You get the absurdly good lolSwipeSpam - the only spammable, mobile tank AE attack in the game, if I'm not mistaken - you get the utility of battle rez and innervate which are pretty nuts...sure, warriors get some nice toys that are occasionally useful, but when's the last time you stunned a raid boss with Shockwave? Yeah, me neither.

And for the short term, our T10 set bonuses are insane. Just nuts, I'm looking forward to basically getting an entire new ability from my 4-piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzytank View Post
    I am currently in a guild that only does 10 man raids. We have Heroic 10 ToC on farm and we've cleared the first bosses of IIC. At the moment we are composed of

+Tanks - Warrior, Pally
    +Heals - Druid, Priest (Holy)
    +DSP - 2 Ret Pallys, Boomkin, Rogue, Ele Shaman, and a Shad Priest
    From a Raid Standpoint:

Feral Bear brings +Bleed Debuff, 5% Crit for your melee and possibly Battle Rez and Innverate. Aggro is decent, AE Aggro is good. Option of going cat.

Warrior brings Commanding Shout (A buff you you'd lose as a Bear ), Sunder Armor (which gives dps boosts to 50% of your raid) and another Melee which can interrupt, Dispell and Disarm. AE threat is lower then Bear, Single target is good.

I have no math to back this up, but I would venture that Sunder Armor would make a larger difference for your raid makeup then Leader of the Pack.

Since you already have a Boomkin, I would venture that the Warrior may end up as the better choice in terms of Raid Synergy.

-Fenier

Druid would give 5% crit to your melee (two ret pally + rogue). Since you have a boomkin, you already had motw and one innervate/brez.

Warrior gives you sunder (if your rogue is lazy) and battle shout/commanding shout, though with three raiding pallies battle shout isn't so special.

Both give demo roar. Nothing special there.

In terms of what one brings that might make up for it: the druid would likely compliment a bit more. The Pally is going to be able to take the role of dealing with many small adds fairly well. The druid will be able to soak bigger magical hits more often.

Another thing to consider is that most of the time you can gear up your bear and have a viable feral DPS set, making yourself a bit more versatile. Whereas you'll be competing directly with your prot pally on gear if you go for a prot warrior. Probably six of one, half a dozen of hte other honestly; giving more gear to your rogue or giving more gear to your tank?

I'd personally choose the druid because it'll be faster to gear them up more usefully and will likely compliment a shield wearer better and cover more bases. Though what would be totally ideal in that group is a DK.

First off, if the warrior is leaving, who is going to fill the 10th spot? Even if you switch to tank, you need a 10th

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity View Post
    You get the absurdly good lolSwipeSpam - the only spammable, mobile tank AE attack in the game, if I'm not mistaken - you get the utility of battle rez and innervate which are pretty nuts...sure, warriors get some nice toys that are occasionally useful, but when's the last time you stunned a raid boss with Shockwave? Yeah, me neither.
    Battle rez and innervate are already there, he was the tree healer. If anything, it gets harder to combat rez somebody as a tank (I've gotten good at it, but that isn't necessarily a good thing). Same goes with innervate. You have to find the right time (Between phases when boss doesn't need tanking, and make sure Enrage is up, or you may shift back with insufficient rage and fumble around a bit).

The thing I like most about prot warriors is interrupts, and there is a need for that in ICC. You are losing that as your warrior tank goes, and if your ele shaman becomes the healer in a 2 healer situation, it gets tougher for them to Wind Shear. The rogue is still there, but if s/he's good DPS, expect a decline there, something which is less of an issue if the prot warrior does the interrupts. And this is on top of piling on expose armor to the rogue to make up the lose of sunder, again something that happens automatically with a warrior tank.

As for gearing, I'm sure the rogue won't be thrilled to hear you go feral, that adds somebody who is rolling on his gear. S/he may be cool about it, but it still slows the gearing.

Incidentally, just would like to point out that losing the tree is not a huge deal, as the prot pally probably already brings the increased healing aura lost by the Teee of Life Aura. With 3 paladins, theres no need for the prot pally to switch to anything else. You might be losing revitalize if you were specced into it, some people actually notice its effects when its there.

Finally, unless I am missing something, I'd go feral/resto dualspec, unless your dualspec is something else you want to keep for some reason (maybe you have a boomkin fetish, IDK).

Quote Originally Posted by felhoof View Post
    In terms of what one brings that might make up for it: the druid would likely compliment a bit more. The Pally is going to be able to take the role of dealing with many small adds fairly well. The druid will be able to soak bigger magical hits more often.

Another thing to consider is that most of the time you can gear up your bear and have a viable feral DPS set, making yourself a bit more versatile. Whereas you'll be competing directly with your prot pally on gear if you go for a prot warrior. Probably six of one, half a dozen of hte other honestly; giving more gear to your rogue or giving more gear to your tank?

I'd personally choose the druid because it'll be faster to gear them up more usefully and will likely compliment a shield wearer better and cover more bases. Though what would be totally ideal in that group is a DK.
    Here's my take on things:

The bear druid will be easier and faster to gear, and will be nice to play. This will be the best answer for you alone.

For the sake of the raid, the warrior brings the utility the raid is used to. it will be a PITA to gear the warrior, and gear upgrades will be tough given that your other tanks is a pally, but in all, I think going warrior tank is best for the raid.

Thanks for all the comments, it seems like both would make an excellent choice.

Just another quick question, one of the previous post suggested that a DK would be a better option, I was wondering why? Because the rogue, has a DK that we could gear up to fill the the tanks spot as well. Although the rogue has top dps at the moment and just finished gearing up.

As for the vacant spot we have filled it with a Mage already.

Death Grip is freakin amazing. And honestly there are plenty of fights where a DK just makes things easier,whether it be DG or the buffs they can bring or their CDs or the damage they can do. It's very hard, for example, to find a tank that can bring as much to the spell damage table as a DK can.

You can cover a lot of the other essentials with a pally or druid, but things like death grip...it's just a hard thing to work around.

Quote Originally Posted by felhoof View Post
    Death Grip is freakin amazing. And honestly there are plenty of fights where a DK just makes things easier,whether it be DG or the buffs they can bring or their CDs or the damage they can do. It's very hard, for example, to find a tank that can bring as much to the spell damage table as a DK can.
    Deathgrip is so freaking amazing, that most people use it improperly. Contrary to popular belief, DG is NOT a pull tool (except in VERY few circumstances, like FC or the 2 casters when going up the ramp on FoS). Yet every noob DK tank I have seen flounders around because their Dark Command is not on their bars, and they burned their DG on the pull, leaving the other mobs with zero aggro, causing them to peel away for the healer.
    DG is an awesome tool for the following:
    -Pulling non-magical ranged. The only closest substitute is a LoS pull, which is tricky in some areas.
    -Peeling something off a DPS or healer, especially since its coupled with a taunt.
    -Multiple DKs to simulate the flying ghouls on the Arthas-chasing-you in HoR. That is so freaking poetic, you just need slow-mo and music for it.

TBH, not all DK tanks bring nearly as much raid utility as a DPS DK (i'd defer to Satorri on this one), for the following reasons:
    -You have to seriously gimp a frost DK tank to get Imp Icy Talons.
    -I'd like to see how many viable unholy tanks (who bring ebon plague and possibly AMZ) there are left with Chill of the Throne destroying the evasion tank+bone armor build. Sure they reduced the bone armor CD, but do I want to be constantly eating GCs and Unholy runes for it? Not really.
    -Blood are the best pick, most builds can accommodate either Abom's Might or Hysteria, sometimes both.

You can cover a lot of the other essentials with a pally or druid, but things like death grip...it's just a hard thing to work around.
    Felhoof, I *know* you probably do just fine with LoS pulls on your bear, or having others silence a caster at ranged (something I wish bears had.. can't we throw a salmon into their piehole or something?). And even with archers of some sort, I've managed to walk some of them to a position by staying moving within their dead zone but out of melee range.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity View Post
    Personally, I've never seen a feral aoe tank as well as a *good* prot warrior. Warriors are not bad aoe tanks. Paladins are still the best, but there's nothing wrong with warrior aoe when compared to a druid, lol. And since when do bears handle spell damage as well as warriors? ICC is filled with magic dmg. As far as EH goes, bears have the most stam but have you looked at the new plate gear? Almost every slot has a green armor piece. A fully-geared warrior can probably hit 40k armor raid-buffed towards the end of icc.

And btw, shockwave will prove to be VERY useful in some of the hardmodes (and maybe even reflect). Dreamwalker specifically. Never stunned a raid boss with shockwave, but I get tons of use out of the stun in maybe 1/3 of all boss fights.

Druids are very good tanks, but for icc I would go with the warrior. The only way I'd take the bear (considering you are equally-good at playing both) is if you REALLY find yourselves needing innervates and battle rezzes, and if you could really use the 5% crit (and you already have a class capable of putting up sunders).
    Last edited by Dragaan; 12-31-2009 at 04:46 PM.

If you go with the warrior, you'll fight the paladin for gear. If you go with the druid, you'll fight the rogue for gear. If you do 25 mans, where there may be several rogues, you'll fight more rogues for gear than your warrior would be fighting tanks.

As for Warrior vs. Druid, play which one you have more fun on. Both have excellent tools at their disposal.

Contrary to what others here have said, I find my shockwave stuns to be incredibly useful in raid tanking. Used in Lady Deathwhisper, it can negate most of the damage you'll take as a tank (along with Shield Block). On Deathbringer Saurfang, Concussion Blow and Shockwave are invaluable tools to stun one of the adds while the melee takes it down.

Sunder is amazing. Your rogue can provide it, but he'll lose a little damage by doing so. If your rogue is good at keeping up Expose Armor, the 5% crit will probably help your raid more, with 3 melee dps in there.

In terms of survivability, don't even worry about it. All the tanks have survivability numbers that are close enough that it's really not a big deal.

I play a warrior tank as my main and has seen all content down except for Heroic Anub25 so far.

My alt is a feral tank that has done alot of the non-hardcore content so far.

In my opinion, a feral tank is far easier to play. Everytime I log on to that bear, it feels like a tanking vacation. So if you're fairly new to tanking, going bear allows you to sharpen your general tanking skills like add awareness and pickup, etc without having to mash the random buttons a warrior tank has to take into account (which is the warriors niche).

The raid benefits have been covered but I'd like to reiterate that dps will not like to do sunder or expose armor (most don't even do it even though they should). So going warrior allows you to keep sunder stacks up, as well as thuderclap and demo shout, etc.

Me? I love my warrior, the bear is boring.
    "I'm a rage-a-holic! I'm addicted to rageahol!" -Homer Simpson

+ Reply to Thread