+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frost Tank Spec Advisement

Frost Tank Spec Advisement

Ok so Ive been blood tanking and DPSing since I started playing my DK however not too long ago I took the notion to try out DW Frost tanking. So far, Ive enjoyed it alot better than blood and while its probably not as great for soaking dmg as blood is, I find I have better threat in general with frost. However, Ive been playing around with specs, working in the little details.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...w,dwr3eO,10835

Now I know most tank specs dont include Improved Icy Talons but I find it very useful. However, Im kind of on the fence about a few talent choices.

Acclimation vs. Chilblains vs. Unholy Command
    - Which is going to prove more useful to my survival. I know they are different abilities altogether but everything else is about the way I like it.

Glyph of Runestrike vs. Glyph of Ubreakable Armor
    - I really like Glyph of Death and Decay and Glyph of Howling Blast. Those two are vital IMO. However which would be the better choice for the third major glyph.

This spec to me is a good combination of survival stuff and threat gen stuff. However, I am always open to suggestions as there is always room for improvement.
    Last edited by Mairo; 12-30-2009 at 07:40 AM.

You'll probably want this in the HALP! section, rather then the General Discussion.

A fourth option for #1 might be getting 2 or more points into Scent of Blood, since the extra RP will translate directly into delicious frost strikes.

Moved to HALP section.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

#1 - The only survival talent here is Acclimation unless you're kiting, then Chilblains would count. Since Unholy Command draws the mobs to you more often, I don't know how that made the list. From the spec you listed, looks like you already took it.

On a threat note, I agree with Mael - I'd probably drop 1-2 points out of Morbidity for Scent of Blood.

#2 - Do you want threat or survival? I went for runestrike, but I'm not tanking ToGC or anything right now. For more survival, Ubreakable Armor is a good choice.

You're missing a few talents needed for frost for it to be your main tree, mainly annihilation. Your oblits are going to kill your diseases every time you hit.

Getting IIT costs a lot of points, some of which are taken out of some pretty big talents.

This is the EJ DW tanking preferred spec, and I personally had a lot of fun with it.

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

Glyph of Death and Decay is - I, personally, believe - a waste for Frost, since Howling Blast is your primary AoE attack and generates a lot of threat!

Chillblains is good for generating RP, while Acclimation is a situational survival talent - that is great or the situations it is useful in. :-)

Sattori's Book -> Frost tanking -> D/W Spec (I used the rest of the points and glyphed to end up with this spec.)
    NOTE: Glyph of Death Strike has yet to be replaced; I did not have enough gold for the glyph I want. :-( Glyph of Unbreakable Armor. Though, Glyph of Frost Strike looks good too. Not sure how to treat Glyph of Howling Blast, yet.
    Yay! Sparklies and Pretty Butterflies!
    */Gives everyone Candiz, and /Waves with Blankie*
    http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/wow/8/...83400JYOhf.png

Firtly, sorry for the misplacement of initial post. Thank you for moving it to the correct forum.

Second, thank you all for your comments. Like I said to begin with, I plan on keeping IIT. The buff is not only usefull to the melee DPS but to my threat as well (albeit only a small increase in threat)

As far as Glyph of Death and Decay goes, Im not really sure what I would replace it with. I know Howling Blast is alot of snap threat but I use Death and Decay at the start of every fight. Bosses included. With the glyph it seems to provide more threat than an Obliterate and blood strike or blood boil. Albeit spread out over time. I do however, think that moving two points from morbidity into Scent of Blood will help with my RP gen for more Rune Strikes.

Im still a little weary of Acclimation. Is it really that effective?

Im not worried about taking Annihilation. I dont ever really use Icy Touch or Plague Strike. With the Glyph of Howbling Blast, I just use that to distribute my Frost Fever and while Obliterate may remove it temporarily off of one target, it really doesnt seem like it woul be that big of a loss. The 3% crit chance is nice but again, not that important since it doesnt affect spell abilities.

Something I noticed in that EJ preferred spec is that they have Frost Strike. Now Frost Strike is rather nice, However with Rune Strike going off so much I never have a place to use it.

Also, in my rotation, I skip on Blood Strike and just use Blood Boil except on boss fights. Im not sure why anyone would take Blood of the North except maybe for death runes.

Anyway, thanks for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Mairo View Post
    Second, thank you all for your comments. Like I said to begin with, I plan on keeping IIT. The buff is not only usefull to the melee DPS but to my threat as well (albeit only a small increase in threat)
    If you don't have a lot of melee DPS, or your raid includes a shaman, that's a lot of points used for no benefit.

As far as Glyph of Death and Decay goes, Im not really sure what I would replace it with. I know Howling Blast is alot of snap threat but I use Death and Decay at the start of every fight. Bosses included. With the glyph it seems to provide more threat than an Obliterate and blood strike or blood boil. Albeit spread out over time. I do however, think that moving two points from morbidity into Scent of Blood will help with my RP gen for more Rune Strikes.
    Unless you are doing constant AoE tanking on a fight that has constant multiple ads, your current spec/glyph doesn't give you the benefit my suggestion would for threat/damage, particularly single target.

Im still a little weary of Acclimation. Is it really that effective?
    Not enough to really matter.

Im not worried about taking Annihilation. I dont ever really use Icy Touch or Plague Strike. With the Glyph of Howbling Blast, I just use that to distribute my Frost Fever and while Obliterate may remove it temporarily off of one target, it really doesnt seem like it woul be that big of a loss. The 3% crit chance is nice but again, not that important since it doesnt affect spell abilities.
    Death Knights are brute force tanks. For the most part, our damage is our threat, so efforts to increase the benefit our abilities get is meaningful. Not using Plague Strike and Icy Touch is threat and damage loss. Not having the Blood Plague Debuff is a threat and damage loss. Due to changes made to how disease multipliers work for our strikes, single disease rotations don't work as well anymore.

Melee special abilities:
    Rune Strike
    Blood Strike
    Plague Strike
    Obliterate
    Blood Boil(?)

4, maybe 5, abilities that benefit from the 3% increased crit.

Something I noticed in that EJ preferred spec is that they have Frost Strike. Now Frost Strike is rather nice, However with Rune Strike going off so much I never have a place to use it.
    That is what killing machine procs are for when Rime is not up.

[/quote]Also, in my rotation, I skip on Blood Strike and just use Blood Boil except on boss fights. Im not sure why anyone would take Blood of the North except maybe for death runes.[/quote]

Increased Frost Strike damage, which when used on KM procs(only time to use, unless RP glutted imo), means 3% increased crit and critical strike.

Blood Strike is more dmg single target, iirc. I only have anecdotal knowledge, not hard numbers for the Blood Strike.

The generation of Death Runes means more Obliterates(or if needed in emergencies, other abilities), which means more chances for Rime to proc, which means more free, no-rune Howling Blasts. Those will probably also be crits because of frequent Killing Machine procs.

Anyway, thanks for the replies!
    Anytime

+ Reply to Thread