+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pally tank rotation situational?

Pally tank rotation situational?

Ok so after some research and practice I have managed to get the Pally 969 rotation down, but this morning it was shot to hell running some heroic pugs.

What I have basically figured out (this is just my thinking) is when I am the top dps (crap dps), I can keep the rotation going and it works to hold aggro and increase my dps. I noticed a problem on my next run though when i had alot of trigger happy dps, i.e. Hunters shooting when i had just HoR them and sending pets to charge and stun, and warriors charging right after i had HoR the next mob.

So my main question is, is using the rotation situational and should be saved for like bosses or raid trash that takes a little while longer to down and not used against heroic dungeon trash unless you have crap dps? Or have I just had a run of bad luck if finding the crap/trigger- happy/impatient dps of my Battlegroup?

Also feel free to rate my spec and gear, yes I know I need a new trinket I cant seem to get The Black Heart to drop off regular Toc for me.

The World of Warcraft Armory

On trash I prioritise consecration as the mobs are running to me, then always HoTR to get a big chunk of snap aggro.

Looking at your gear, get a better weapon. HoTR scales extremely well with weapon damage per second and it will make a huge difference in your ability to hold aggro.

969 is the best threat rotation, but unfortunately in heroics, you're better off with a priority
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Protection Warrior Spreadsheet

Ok thanks for the info I will keep it in mind.

When a fight lasts more then about fifteen seconds, you'll find yourself using 969 for the most part. If you have issues with triggerhappy dps, there are a few ways to manage it.

On smaller pulls, it shouldn't be an issue, but if you mark something, pull with hand of reckoning and throw your shield at it as well, you should have all the starting aggro you need. If you run to the mob, follow it up with a hammer for AoE threat, then consecration, then start 969.
    On bigger pulls, always have a mark up and make sure to start with consecration as well. Using holy wrath works well on undead mobs, but I like to save it so I can use it for positioning or as an 'oh snap' button.

Once you have 969 running, all talk about prioritizing is kinda silly. Apart from skills not in the normal rotation, you are using your skills at an optimal rate. Hammer and shield are used on cooldown, using consecration more often then it gets used in 969 makes you waste cooldowns, and can cost you threat in the end. The only thing you could do is replace a judgement with a holy wrath or a shield throw every now and then.

What you could do, however, is have a seperate heroics spec, using some talents that increase your AoE threat, like seal of command.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    969 is the best threat rotation, but unfortunately in heroics, you're better off with a priority
    969 is a priority queue, it just happens to fit nicely without more than one relevant ability up at the same time. You still want to use Hammer before shield for aoe, you still want to start with shield over anything else for single-target aggro drops, you still want to use holy shield early to be able to frontload threat...

The mob not living the full rotation isn't even a breaker. Having to add more mobs to it is. The only easy to use ability that doesn't go in the 969 is avenger's shield, which is generally already part of the pull or something you save for the casters.

There's nothing to rework obscenely when you deal with too-fast pulls, you just use the best ability available at the time and work the 969 from there.

Drop glyph of Shield of the Righteous its a crutch that only makes you a bad pallie tank you should have sanc and divine plea up and with its low cost as is its just a waste. You should go with glyph of Hammer of the Righteous, most heroic packs are in 4 or 5. What i believe is happening is you are getting threat on 3 but the other 2 are lacking attention. Take it all with a grain of salt you will be outgeared most of the time and dont forget most our threat comes from a solid weapon.

If you're tanking heroics, Seal of Command is better than Seal of Vengeance on the trash and will give you much better snap threat. Also, with the change in 3.3 to make SoR a melee attack, Seal of Command now procs off of it. This is pretty awesome.

This is a little gem that was given to me back when 3.2 first came out to front-load threat. I can't remember if it was this community, or maintankadin... but I was having issues on the First pull in ToC 5 picking up (and keeping) threat on the three bosses.

Ever since this was given to me, I start EVERY pull with this sequence, and I have yet to have significant issues...

Order of first sequence:
    • Hammer of the Righteous
    • Shield of Righteousness
    • Consecration
    • Judgement
    • Hammer of the Righteous
    • Holy Shield
    • continue with 969 rotation accordingly
    This pull sequence allows you to MASSIVELY front-load your threat, so that even if a trigger-happy Mage opens up with 2-3 large crits in a row, they won't pass you on threat. It seems strange to open with both 6 second abilities... but following them up with two 9 second abilities will then bring Hammer off CD by the time you are ready again... then just pop Holy Shield, and Shield of Righteousness is ready to go... and you are easily set into the proper rotation.

Here are a few other tips that I learned as I started tanking heroics.

Hand of Reckoning is NOT on the GCD, so you can pull like this (to get even more threat)... Use Avenger's Shield to pull... while the shield is IN THE AIR... pop Hand of Reckoning, and it will hit just before (or at the same time) Avenger's Shield hits the target. You can also use this to pick up a 5-pack of mobs (assuming you have hammer glyphed for the extra bounce). Target the far left mob... put your mouse cursor over the far right...

When you cast Avenger's Shield... select the mob on the right... Hand of Reckoning... and switch back to your original target (or the marked target if you have done so).

As has been said already, Seal of Cleave is WAY OP, and has boosted my DPS as a tank by a LOT... sometimes as much as 500 DPS. It's only for trash that dies REALLY FAST, but as you get end-game geared, all trash except the ones from the newest dungeons will die before you even get started into a real 969 rotation anyway. You will get to a point where you have to move as fast as possible (read: chain-pull) so that you can keep Divine Plea up. There was a time that one or two packs of 5 would take long enough that DP was off CD... but now....... not so much.

Lastly, I run with friends mostly, and I make sure to tell them this regularly:
    If you pull off me once, I will do everything I can to save you as quickly as possible...
    If you pull off me twice, I may wait until your health gets a little low... just as a reminder...
    If you pull off me three times, YOU tank that mob...
    I understand that it is our job as tanks to generate as much threat as possible... but that trigger-happy shaman who feels COMPELLED to open with Chain-lightning can tank that last mob all day. It's not MY fault that his chain-lightning procced before my Shield ever even landed. (read: he only did that ONCE).
    Last edited by JU1CYFRU1T; 01-06-2010 at 10:59 AM.

+ Reply to Thread